Tendering as an Electric Scooter Passenger

CelebrityMan

Hi,

I have a group on an upcoming Celebrity Infinity cruise that will have one of our number pretty much confined to getting around with the aid of an electric scooter (knee troubles, etc.).

Has anyone using a scooter had any experience with ports where tendering ashore is required? Is it even possible for the scooter to be transported ashore and back?

Thank you in advance for information. I'd really like to be able to tell this participant that it's not completely unworkable.

CM

When I was on the Millie in September, I injured my hip and spent the whole cruise in a wheelchair. For the tender ports, I had to walk down the stairs outside the ship to the tender. The crew carried my wheelchair onto the tender. If I had not been able to walk at all, I don't think I would have been able to go ashore at these ports.

I'm not sure the crew would be able to carry a scooter down the narrow stairs and onto a tossing tender boat, but who knows. Perhaps it would be possible for the individual to use one of the ship's wheelchairs for the tender ports instead of the scooter.

Good luck!

I am a scooter user and Celebrity, nor any other cruise line, will accept scooters on a tender. They used to, but because of liability issues, they stopped allowing it. It's just far too dangerous for the crew to be handling the heavy scooters in bumpy waters. If the person can board the tender, and use a manual wheelchair, then of course it's possible. But not using the scooter.

Thank you to those who responded, especially to Kitty9, who uses a scooter.

Looks like our passenger will not be going ashore in Cabo.

Much appreciated for the time you all took to respond.

CM

This is for Cabo? Even if they would take the scooter, the place where the tender lets you off would be impossible for a scooter person. The "walkway" that takes you to the town area is impossible for those with mobility issues. It's barely paved with lots of sand, which would ruin a scooter.

At least your passenger can enjoy the beautiful ship and the wonderful views of the area. Make sure to tell him/her to keep an eye out for whales and dolphin.

Yes, a luxurious day aboard ship, with spa treatments, etc. is what they are planning.

Last time I was in Cabo there was a beautiful new tender pier and a reddish paving stones walkway all the way up to the first hotel. So much different than the previous visit when it was an ugly walk to get into town.

I just checked Google Earth and the red pathway along the marina and the wide tender pier is there.

Nevertheless, with scooters no longer handled, it's a "private" day on the ship. :D

Thanks, again, Kitty, for letting me hear from someone who actually uses a scooter.

CM

• 5 months later...

Can your friend use a wheelchair and get someone to push him?

The more able he proves he is, the higher the probability that they will let him disembark at tendered ports, in my experience.

I use a wheelchair, but , thankfully, I can walk down the ramp and get into the tender with the available friendly assistance offered by the men there at the end of the ramp. My husband gets my wheelchair into the tender and away we go. I am afraid to bring my scooter because of the probability of denial of port disembarkation by tender.

This is for Cabo? Even if they would take the scooter, the place where the tender lets you off would be impossible for a scooter person. The "walkway" that takes you to the town area is impossible for those with mobility issues. It's barely paved with lots of sand, which would ruin a scooter.

Just to update a bit, in case Kitty9 you do a cruise that visits Cabo, that area of sand along the marina that we used to have to transit to get to town, is gone.

That whole area has been developed into a very welcoming area for ship passengers coming ashore, incorporating shopping, cantinas, shore excursion vendors, and a "Swim With the Dolphins" aquarium that is nothing short of spectacular. A beautiful new paved promenade and a very nice covered tender pier now greet ship visitors:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2169036200099099348fGzBid

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2729399830099099348gcjbGp

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2826090540099099348eqwhZj

Thanks to a recent spine injury I had to go ashore with the aid of my Rollator walker. Had it not been for this new development in the tender pier/marina area, even I wouldn't have ventured ashore.

Kind Regards,

CM

Archived