Pride of america skipping kona

phillygirl63

I have noticed some posts where POA skips Kona because of rough waters. We are sailing on 4/30/11, and I am planning to book tee times on my own at Mauna Kea for the day we are in port at Kona. I know the ship tenders at this port, but just wanted to know what the chances are that this port will be skipped. How much notice do you get?

I have noticed some posts where POA skips Kona because of rough waters. We are sailing on 4/30/11, and I am planning to book tee times on my own at Mauna Kea for the day we are in port at Kona. I know the ship tenders at this port, but just wanted to know what the chances are that this port will be skipped. How much notice do you get?

I'm sure they don't know - could be a last minute decision when they get there and find the water is too rough to tender. They don't miss Kona very often but it does happen. You just have to plan on getting there and realize if you don't that they aren't happy about it either.

On our last PoA cruise, we didn't make Hilo. We got the announcement about an hour before docking. I don't know if they knew earlier or just waiting til after 7 (or so) to announce it since most people might be sleeping.

They said the decision was not theirs but the Coast Guard's.

If your cruise was last Spring it could have had to do with the tsunami warning, otherwise I'm not sure, as normally you dock there not tender. In Kona it can be smooth or rough depending on the prevailing winds. On one occasion when we were there we anchored and all was fine. We tendered ashore without incident and then the winds changed. Tendering back was a problem as the Captain had to up anchor and turn the ship to try and present the lee side to receive the tenders. Meanwhile we were on the tender in seas rough enough to prevent tying up alongside. Didn't bother us but some people were affected quite seriously. If you've been on a small boat with people who were throwing up all over everyone as well as people with disabilities who had a great deal of difficulty getting off the tender, well I'll leave it to your imagination, but it wasn't pretty.

Doubt it was the tsumami warning in Hilo as that was in January. Probably just some kind of a storm making it too dangerous to enter the breakwater area of the harbor. Same thing happens with Kona....weather and storms can make it just too dangerous. Safety first.....always....thank goodness!!

Out of my 17 or so Hawaiian cruises....we have missed Kona 3 times. All due to wave action, preventing the tenders from doing the pax. loading and unloading in a safe manner. All 3 times we missed...we still arrived at Kona....and they tried a test tender before they said no.

Chuck

For missing the port, did the ship do anything different onboard?

Yes, but I don't remember exactly what (probably more Bingo :o)

They also gave us credit for the port fee, which was maybe 12 a piece,

but I've forgotten exactly now.

I think this is like every other type of vacation that depends on weather.

You may get "rained out" if the seas are rough. You can never be guaranteed of making any port, so those who can live with that will be okay. If you are planning your wedding during a cruise port of call - well,

you might wanna' rethink that.

Yes, but I don't remember exactly what (probably more Bingo :o)

They also gave us credit for the port fee, which was maybe 12 a piece,

but I've forgotten exactly now.

I think this is like every other type of vacation that depends on weather.

You may get "rained out" if the seas are rough. You can never be guaranteed of making any port, so those who can live with that will be okay. If you are planning your wedding during a cruise port of call - well,

you might wanna' rethink that.

Thanks for the info! :)

I actually work on the POA... i have been for the past year... and i recall only missing Kona once... that was a few weeks ago.... other then that we've made it everyweek... I love going to target for cheeseticks LOL:D

Thanks for piping in! I like your odds better than others mentioned.;)

Will we see you onboard when we sail in May?

Out of my 17 or so Hawaiian cruises....we have missed Kona 3 times. All due to wave action, preventing the tenders from doing the pax. loading and unloading in a safe manner. All 3 times we missed...we still arrived at Kona....and they tried a test tender before they said no.

Chuck

I agree, in 2008 it was calm tendering in but pretty rough getting back. You don't realize how dangerous it is till you see it for your own eyes. The tender boat bob's up and down like a piece of popcorn in a popping machine when the wind is blowing.

If you are planning your wedding during a cruise port of call - well, you might wanna' rethink that.

I actually saw that happen on one of my sailings on the Golden Princess to Hawaii. We were unable to dock in Kauai and we had a bride/groom onboard who were supposed to get married in Kauai that day. From what I heard, she had flown family in for the ceremony as well. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Well i throughly enjoyed my 5 week vacation, i had a great LAND :eek: vacation to Punta Cana DR. it was much needed now back to work in a few days.

Cint19987, we will be on POA from April 30 - May 7. What is your job on the ship? I will look for you to say "Hi."

Phillygirl i will be there, im a restaurant hostess. Most likely ill be in one of the Main Dining rooms in the evenings. Ill be the first face you see. <My day shift rotates. Ask around my name is Cynthia. You have an entire week to find me LOL

Can't wait to see you! Where can we find you?

Pop over to our Roll Call & say "hi!".:)

Sunny AZ Girl ill most likely be in the Main Dining rooms. Come find me! more then happy to speak to you!

Archived