Considering a cruise in Dec 2011 - First timers

Jamar72

I am currently looking at booking a cruise with P&O in December 2011 for my 40th birthday (instead of a party). I am currently looking at an 8 day cruise from Sydney on Pacific Jewel (Pacific Escapade) travelling to Emerald Bay, Noumea and Isle of Pines. This would be the first cruise for my husband and I although we have travelled overseas to Bali, Fiji and New Zealand before.

My husband is concerned about the time of year we are considering booking due to it being cyclone season etc. Can anyone give us an idea of if this is a major issue at this time of year and what weather conditions we could expect on a cruise.

Thanks in advance

I think the idea of a cruise to celebrate your birthday is a lovely idea and I am sure you will have a fantastic time.

The cruise you are considering is from 10th December to 18th, so it will be hot and humid. Most of the time you are on an air-conditioned ship so the heat and humidity don't impact on you too much unless you want to lie in the sun by the pool every day.

Cyclones are more common in January and February than in December. Bad weather can occur at any time and in any place so it is the luck of the draw.:)

Welcome to the message boards. I got off a ship on Sunday and completely missed the bad weather...friend was on a cruise which left three days before they had lots of bad weather. It is a lottery at this time of the year as the events in Nth Qld have shown. The good news is that the islands are even lovelier during our winter when it is great to get away to the warm.

Whatever you choose I am sure you will love cruising and become as addicted to it just like the rest of us maniacs.

Thanks for the feedback. I personally am more than happy to cope with whatever happens it was just a concern hubby brought up today while trying to convince him what a great idea it is.

I am a Bali addict who has been to Bali 6 times and booked to go back for trip 7 in July 2011. Hubby is not as keen on Bali(he has only been 3 times) so I am hoping this will end up being something he gets more enjoyment from and will be keen to do more trips in the future.

Hi Jamar

Once you do the cruise thing you will never look back.

A couple of options for you, (either now or in the future) using Princess lines (upmarket cousin of P&O)

1. Northern Explorer on Sun Princess that does Freo - Syd (sometimes Bne) or vicci versa. This cruise visits mainly Aust ports (Broome, Darwin, Pt Douglas etc) and also visits BALI :D

2, Round trip to New Zealand ex either Bne, Syd or Mlb. 2 weeks visiting places like Auckland Christchurch Dunedin and Milford Sound. You can also do a one way cruise Syd-Auk or VV with a flight back home as part of a package.

So much to do...so little time

cheers

Hey Jamar

<<<Bali Addict here too>>> :p Think I've been...ummmmm....dunno about 12 times? I've seen your name on bali forums :D

I just got off a cyclone cruise 2 weeks ago :eek:

I'd say DO IT! hehe (I would be the friend that went 3 days before Rugbypopsie's LOL) Weather prediction is like picking the stock market.....who knows!

You'll love cruising!

Thanks all.

I had to stay home from work today as I had a sick child and I have done nothing but read information about cruises etc. I am ready to book tomorrow but now just have to convince hubby that he will enjoy it. He is not someone that can just sit around a pool drinking cocktails (unlike me :D) so I have been having to research and find out about activities onboard that will interest him. He seems to be warming to the idea with the more info I find so hopefully I am not far off convincing him now.

Can anyone tell me what Pacific Jewel is like? I have read many conflicting reviews about this ship. I am very aware that what bothers some does not bother others but would like to hear some fresh info if possible.

I was originally looking at a cruise on the Pacific Sun but through some further research found that Pacific Jewel seems to have more to offer and is a larger ship. Is this correct?

I am a party girl who enjoys having a few drinks and going out to clubs occasionally and having a dance whereas hubby does not so thought the Pacific Jewel appeared to offer options to suit us both.

Thanks again

A wise choice.I did my first cruise way back in December 2007 Pacific Dawn out of Sydney and had a wonderful time for my 30th Birthday.Did two more on the Pacific Sun 2008 out of Brisbane and 2010 out of Sydney and not too bad for the money though a little expensive for the single person.There is so many things to do on board and the Broadway style shows are awesome.For the kind of money compared to going on Tour to Vietnam or Thailand Cruising is much better value for money as you don't have to buy food on a daily basis and there are more inclusions for the dollars over an Asian Holiday.

Once you have tried cruising there is no going back!!!.

Archived