Hotel in Naples near Train Station (Circumvesuviana)

starwhite2

Am looking for a hotel in Naples...mid-level to above mid-level in price. Tripadvisor rates this hotel as #1 of 209 and it appears to be in the area of the train station.

Albergo Palazzo Decumani

Eurocruiser, where do you stay when you go to Naples? How was the Panama Canal?

I've only stayed at two hotels in Naples, one on the waterfront near Castel dell Ovo (Grand Hotel Santa Lucia), and the other near Piazza Municipio (Renaissance Mediterraneo). I've stayed at the Renaissance (a Marriott property) three different times and have always enjoyed it but it's about a mile and a half from the train station. Lately (last year and in a couple of weeks) I've been renting apartments as they are much less expensive for a longer stay and allow me to cook some meals and spread out a bit more.

For checking hotels in Italy I like Venere; they list quite a few hotels near the train station (http://www.venere.com/italy/naples/#p|1;f:o|venere_ranking-t|all-z|566743-r|r6-c|all_rate). I've walked past several on Piazza Garibaldi, but have never been inside any of them.

The Panama Canal was great, thanks for asking. I wish I could have brought home some of the weather! I'm looking forward to Naples in a couple of weeks, which is in the high 50's/low 60's right now.

Hi Eurocruiser, getting to Naples is not the difficult -- getting back is trickier. For me - Chicago - I have to have an overnight stay somewhere.

Choices:

1) get to FCO by 8 a.m to catch a 10:25 a.m. flight to JFK. That requires an overnight stay in Rome

2) leave from Naples (NAP), fly through Madrid, and stay by Heathrow overnight

3) get to FCO by 9:30 a.m. to catch an 11:55 flight to Heathrow for a transfer to ORD - that requires an overnight stay in Rome.

What do you do?

I go to Rome for a night or two before heading home. For example, I'm spending a week in Naples later this month, then two nights in a convent in Rome before coming back. I do anything possible to travel without connecting flights, which usually isn't too difficult since I fly from New York.

For Italy, it's pretty much either Rome or Milan for direct flights. In season, there are some flights direct to Pisa, but I avoid JFK whenever possible, so Rome is usually my point of entry and exit.

Archived