Just back from Red Sea Magic......Wow

Well, what can I say.....what an adventure we have had.!! I have to say a thank you to everyone involved in our holiday, the crew were excellent, always smiling and nothing was too much trouble. Entertainment team, again absolutely great.!! We have obviously had problems on this trip, we managed to get to Jordan and do Petra, which was even better than we expected, a long trip yes, but well worth it. Unfortunately we couldn't get to Cairo so we didnt see the Pyramids, and also Luxor was off. !! But we went to Eiliat in Israel instead, and went to Bethlehem and Jerusalem, and saw the city of Jericho in the distance. That trip was also not to be missed, but wan't without complications either. We went across the desert on our way there and it was just starting to rain, our guide seemed to be a bit concerned because the last time it rained in the desert, 12 years ago, it caused flash flooding.!! So we continued onwards to Jerusalem and then into Bethlehem, it rained heavily constantly. We were absolutely freezing and drenched the whole day......I expected to be dripping wet with the heat, not the rain.!!! It was a wonderful trip, but then we set off back at 6pm, bearing in mind it was a 4 hour journey........we managed to get part of the way along the desert road, but then rain into an area that had flash flooding, which stretched the distance of 3 coaches, so it wasn't just a little bit. Very fast moving waters, so we waited a while whilst the Military were up in the hills trying to build a dam of sorts to stop the water running, anway to cut a long story short, it didin't stop so we had to retrace our steps back to Jerulsalem to pick up the mountain road. By the time we got back to Jerulsalem it was midnight and our drivers were exhausted, so Thomsons booked us all, 17 coaches, into hotels. We finanally got back on board ship at 12.45pm the following day.!! Yes, it was inconvenient, yes we would have preferred to be back on board ship, but I take my hat off to Thomsons crew because they managed to arrange all this with very little notice and our safety was paramount to them.

Would I book again.... YES....as soon as the travel agents open.!!! We will be booking this cruise again for next year.

Wow! What a story you've had to tell - but as you say you were well looked after and your safety clearly was the important issue here.

Despite the problems it says a lot for Thomson and the Celebration that you have returned with such positive and warm feelings about your experience on Celebration and your cruise as a whole. It's good to get some feedback from someone involved in the 'issues' out there at the moment and will no doubt offer some comfort for those about to go.

So glad you had a good time and are home safe. You have made me feel better I am off on the 10th. If i do the trip to Jerusulum I will pack my ;) toothbrush. If you have any spare time would love to hear more

Regards Westieho

Hi,

From what I understand Thomson are now doing the Israel trip again whilst the troubles are ongoing in Egypt, if there is one thing I would wish, its that they actually made the Jerusalem and Bethlehem an overnight stop. There was so much to see and its such a long journey, it would have been wise for us to stay overnight and split the sightseeing in two to give us more time. i understand that the Red Sea Magic is all about seeing the Pyramids etc, but these things happen and in my opinion Thomson did everything they could to make sure that we were safe and well looked after. But I am also sure that 'some' people would disagree.!!

Wear comfortable shoes, and layer your clothing so that you are covered for every eventually with the weather.... but most of all have an open mind and enjoy your trip......we didn't want to come home.!!

So glad you had a good time and are home safe. You have made me feel better I am off on the 10th. If i do the trip to Jerusulum I will pack my ;) toothbrush. If you have any spare time would love to hear more

Regards Westieho

have you got your tickets yet?cause we havnt,we booked it on 22nd jan

have you got your tickets yet?cause we havnt,we booked it on 22nd jan

I'm not sure when the cut-off time is jilljoy, but if you book about three weeks or so out from departure, I believe tickets are often 'pick up at the airport'. I should just check it out with whoever you booked with - your departure is getting close so you need to be sure it's covered.

No-one on here has ever had a problem with getting tickets at the airport, it's a tried and tested system, but you do need confirmation that it's in hand for your own peace of mind.

I'm not sure when the cut-off time is jilljoy, but if you book about three weeks or so out from departure, I believe tickets are often 'pick up at the airport'. I should just check it out with whoever you booked with - your departure is getting close so you need to be sure it's covered.

No-one on here has ever had a problem with getting tickets at the airport, it's a tried and tested system, but you do need confirmation that it's in hand for your own peace of mind.

i have just been onto ta and they said the tickets were printed off on monday and they will ring me to pick them up when they arrive

Totally agree with Kruzseeka, we've picked up tickets at the airport many times, including our first cruise. They printed them there and it was very quick. All you need is your booking ref., plus your passports of course.:):)

Jan

Just back from this cruise as well. My first time as a single cruiser and it was fine- third time on the ship doing the same cruise and had the best cabin yet- twice the size of the cabin I had last Feb when I took my grandson! (even if it was deck B and second from bottom!). Change of route was intresting and a bonus for me as I had done Cairo and Luxor before so went to Massada and Dead Sea - although a bit wet and overcast it was great and unreal to float in the Dead Sea- just surreal!- you cannot sink!- recommend that trip if you are intrested. Some of the Meriden Resturatant service could have been better and our singles hostess had to compliain about breakfast but entertainment was great!!! I will book again - I left booking to a week before going to and rung up for a good singe deal on a outside cabin. I told them I was not paying double- not sure that will work in the Summer- but yes I will book again- I think I prefer this ship ( and the Spirit) to the Destiny that I was on last Summer.

How refreshing to read an account of something not going to plan on a cruise (because of the local situation and adverse weather) and Thomson not getting the blame!!!

I hope you enjoy it even more next time you go.

Carol x

Just back from this cruise as well. My first time as a single cruiser and it was fine- third time on the ship doing the same cruise and had the best cabin yet- twice the size of the cabin I had last Feb when I took my grandson! (even if it was deck B and second from bottom!). Change of route was intresting and a bonus for me as I had done Cairo and Luxor before so went to Massada and Dead Sea - although a bit wet and overcast it was great and unreal to float in the Dead Sea- just surreal!- you cannot sink!- recommend that trip if you are intrested. Some of the Meriden Resturatant service could have been better and our singles hostess had to compliain about breakfast but entertainment was great!!! I will book again - I left booking to a week before going to and rung up for a good singe deal on a outside cabin. I told them I was not paying double- not sure that will work in the Summer- but yes I will book again- I think I prefer this ship ( and the Spirit) to the Destiny that I was on last Summer.

Good to hear really positive feedback from these people that are just back from the Red Sea Cruise. We are due to go on the 17th Feb and have been eagerly watching the news. We are happy to do the trips that are on offer and feel a little bit reassured. Lets hope Egypt can sort these problems out !!

Good to hear really positive feedback from these people that are just back from the Red Sea Cruise. We are due to go on the 17th Feb and have been eagerly watching the news. We are happy to do the trips that are on offer and feel a little bit reassured. Lets hope Egypt can sort these problems out !!

Our ta says to call now and then but the best place for info is the thomson website, updated before ta's are informed

caragirl we to are on this cruise on the 17th, expecting to have the ports changed a bit

Hi Guys

soooooo glad to hear positive talk coming from you lastest cruisers? we are on celebration on the 10th feb for hubbys 50th? was beginning to panick a bit! but looks like things are not as bad as we thought? (hopefully). hope it warms up a little bit before we arrive! lol:)

How refreshing to read an account of something not going to plan on a cruise (because of the local situation and adverse weather) and Thomson not getting the blame!!!

I hope you enjoy it even more next time you go.

Carol x

On the contrary, Thomsons were excellent at sorting out an alternative intinerary and tours etc. and resolving any problems - and they kept us informed regularly.

We did the Masada and Dead Sea trip out of Eilat so we missed out on the dramas that the Jerusalem & Bethlehem clients experienced.

We are also just back from the Red Sea Magic of 3rd Feb (or Red Sea Mystery as the Captain nicknamed it!!) and agree we also had a great time. I don't think Thomson could have done any more to rectify the unfortunate situation which wasn't their fault. We did an overnight tour to Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Masada and the Dead Sea, as that was on offer after the chaos / flooding of the week before - effectively it was 2 days of excursions joined together and saved all the travelling in one day (4.5 hours each way!). It was definitely the right thing to do and we had a fantastic experience. If anyone is going on this cruise in the next few weeks, that is what we would recommend to do - and the cost was subsidised by Thomson as there was a complimentary one day trip to Jerusalem and Bethlehem. We were of course diappointed not to see the pyramids and Luxor etc but the alternative was more than worth it, the trip to Israel was simply amazing. And Petra was also better than we ever expected. Overall, a fantastic holiday, with great entertainment and friendly staff / service. Our cabin was huge and comfortable. We look forward to doing the Red Sea Magic Cruise again in the future, when things have settled down in Egypt and hopefully get to see the pyramids and Luxor next time!!

Pleased to hear that you enjoyed your cruise too Seascout. I totally agree with you about doing the Jerusalem trip over 2 days, a very wise move by Thomsons. It was quite a rush to get to see everything in one day, but we still enjoyed it. We also found the entertainment excellent, as was service and all staff. Can't praise them enough. We also will book again, but have booked with another cruise line for next year, only because we want to sample them all.

Hi Guys

You certainly seemed to have had a great cruise. I cruised with Thomson for the first time last year and thoroughly enjoyed. I have been to Israel on a land based holiday but never cruised the area. I would love to do the Red Sea. That is on my must do list soon.

L&S When you have a moment would you mind submitting your review from the opening post to our review section at http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/reviews/#

I am sure many cruisers would love to hear about it especially from a British perspective

Thanks

Hi,

I have tried adding my review, but I can't submit embarkation port, because Sharm -el- Sheik or Egypt are not on there.....any suggestions?

I understand the problem. I'll see what we can do. In the man time you could put it as Alexandria and put a not at the beginning of the review saying it started at Sharm el Sheik. Sorry I could not be anymore helpful at the moment.

Archived