bed bugs

lolagail

We are cruising on Legend, Singapore to Shanghai, on 5th March. We are staying two nights in Singapore and two nights in Shanghai. Just recently, I've been reading alot about bed bugs and I would hate to bring them back home with me, as I believe they are very hard to get rid of.I read a post on this site about someone who thinks she had them on a ship (not this one) Anyone got any thoughts on this and tips on precautions I should take.

Just check the bed...they are visible! Check the mattress, where the "piping" runs around the perimeter of the mattress...check near the headboard...they like dark places to "hide" during the day. They are the size of apple seeds....you'll see them if they're there.

Don't place your luggage on the bed, until you've checked...keep luggage on a hard surface, like the vanity or hard floor (if you have a non-carpeted area)...once you've seen there are no bedbugs, stop worrying!

You can also look for small red stains (really small)on the mattress - indicates them if they are hiding from the light.... which they do.

Take the fitted sheet off and look under the mattress, and near the headboard.

If they are there, you will see them. I've heard the cruiselines are very good about dealing with it. Look before you open your suitcases :)

The only concern would be if it is a full ship.... they may have to treat the room during the day, and still have you stay in that cabin - as there would be no where else for you to go. I think one of the treatments is just to superheat the room which involves no pesticides, and then do a ridiculously full cleaning.

Just check the bed...they are visible! Check the mattress, where the "piping" runs around the perimeter of the mattress...check near the headboard...they like dark places to "hide" during the day. They are the size of apple seeds....you'll see them if they're there.

Don't place your luggage on the bed, until you've checked...keep luggage on a hard surface, like the vanity or hard floor (if you have a non-carpeted area)...once you've seen there are no bedbugs, stop worrying!

Thanks for info.....this site is amazing!

You can also look for small red stains (really small)on the mattress - indicates them if they are hiding from the light.... which they do.

Take the fitted sheet off and look under the mattress, and near the headboard.

If they are there, you will see them. I've heard the cruiselines are very good about dealing with it. Look before you open your suitcases :)

The only concern would be if it is a full ship.... they may have to treat the room during the day, and still have you stay in that cabin - as there would be no where else for you to go. I think one of the treatments is just to superheat the room which involves no pesticides, and then do a ridiculously full cleaning.

I feel alot happier now. Thanks for taking the time.:)

Archived