2012 schedule

attawaytogo

Despite all my FF miles, I am finding that free mileage air involving 2 continents may be really difficult to pull off. I am now considering Regent Air with the upgrade.

A few questions:

Does the upgrade only apply to the international leg or do you get upgraded on the domestic leg as well?

Can you earn ff miles if they book the air?

What does the deviation get you? Choice of airline? Choice of flights? I suppose I need a deviation if I am going to spend time in Rio post cruise.

Thanks

It's only on the international portion. If you're not near an international hub, that means taking an economy connecting flight.

Yes, you can earn miles on these flights.

Regent tends to use a lot of Star Alliance carriers, but not always. Be aware the choices may be limited when booking the Business upgrades.

I've never used the deviation fee to cherry-pick flights, but to arrive and depart when I want to. Of course, now if you use the hotel package, you don't have to worry about paying the deviation fee simply to arrive a day in advance. Although the hotel package is obviously way overpriced.

Thanks.

So if I ask for air from Phoenix they will book me in economy to the nearest international hub and then I will be in Business Class? I can live with that.

We want the deviation post cruise. My husband has never been to Rio.

I think I am just going to take the easy way out and let Regent do the work for a change. Glad to know I will earn miles.

Thanks.

So if I ask for air from Phoenix they will book me in economy to the nearest international hub and then I will be in Business Class? I can live with that.

We want the deviation post cruise. My husband has never been to Rio.

I believe that to be so (I live in a hub, so have no personal experience of this, your TA can confirm.)

Great choice to stay in Rio for a few days, we loved it.

We use Regent's air deviation procedure and have always been very satisfied with it. I check ahead into what flights would work best for us. The TA then calls them and requests the selected flights. We have found that they try to accomodate us if possible. For us it has been well worth the $100 fee to individualize the flights and days of arrival and/or departure .We do this early on for the best chance of getting our request. We have been doing this for many years.

Many years ago, on Song of Flower, a couple had a very difficult 24 hour travel time because they just left it to chance. Our travel time was a much shorter 14 hours for the same travel points. Back then it was Radisson not Regent handling it but it convinced us that selecting the flights if possible would be the best choice for us.

It's also convenient that with Regent air you get "free" transfers from airport to "free" hotel and from hotel to ship and at end of cruise ship to airport.

Anytime we can eliminate hassle while traveling we jump at it!

Archived