Whales and other critters..

pandi77

We are leaving March 10th on the Radiance out of Tampa to Cozumel and are wondering what we might see along the way. I have read about turtles, dolphins, and the infamous flying fish but wondered if whales were a possibilty on this route this time of year? Is March too cold or the wrong "season" to spot whales? If anyone has seen any or anything else remarkable on this route let us know as it's on my bucket list (unless I have enough pto left to go to Cabo this year..lol)!

IMHO, you are in the wrong ocean from Tampa to Cozumel I got to see whales while on the Mariner coming into Cabo via the Mexican Rivera itinerary. Then took a whale watching from Cabo and followed a whale and her baby. Its also on our itinerary for Alaska in July. Hope to see plenty of whales.

So my advice is to get over to the Pacific. Whales are amazing!!!

We've seen dolphins galore sailing out of the Port of Miami and Port Everglades. I can't recall seeing anything exciting in/out of Cozumel, except you can see awesome sunrises and sunets via Cozumel. Get your camera!!

IMHO, you are in the wrong ocean from Tampa to Cozumel I got to see whales while on the Mariner coming into Cabo via the Mexican Rivera itinerary. Then took a whale watching from Cabo and followed a whale and her baby. Its also on our itinerary for Alaska in July. Hope to see plenty of whales.

So my advice is to get over to the Pacific. Whales are amazing!!!

We've seen dolphins galore sailing out of the Port of Miami and Port Everglades. I can't recall seeing anything exciting in/out of Cozumel, except you can see awesome sunrises and sunets via Cozumel. Get your camera!!

Oh yes I figured as much! I read that there were tours from Cuba and the DR for whale watching and was hoping some may have been around any of the areas where we were sailing. I am spoiled with my Tampa sunsets over the GOM and am looking forward to some new screen savers when we get home :-)

Pandi~

My DH and I are on your sailing of the Radiance. Can't wait to be back on a ship even if it is for a short getaway.;)

We have sailed from Tampa before and haven't had any luck seeing wildlife.

When we were on The Jewel a few years ago out of Boston sailing the NE coast and Canada, we were blessed to see quite a few pilot whales along our ship for about 20 minutes or so. It was an amazing sight. They looked a lot like blackish colored dolphins but the Captain made an announcement after we had finished watching them that they were pilot whales.

Good Luck!

Trish

A small per cent of whales stay in cold water over a winter, but most travel to warmer waters over winter (I know I would). We have seen whales in Alaska, Virginia/North Carolinia. Hope to see some on our next cruise (Samana). But our best viewing was when we spent a week in Maui.

I'd be surprised if you see any Right Whales... they don't usually winter in the Gulf, but sometimes they do stray. They are highly protected, so cruise ships and other ships are required to give them plenty of room. If you were sailing out of Port Canaveral you might have a better chance of seeing one. Boats do not share information about the location of Right Whales over the radio off the coast of Florida, like they do in Alaska -- they are really protected -- but the trip down the river and under the Bridge out of Tampa is spectacular! Enjoy your cruise.

While cruising we have seen the following wildlife: about 10 different dolphins mostly near Galveston and Cozumel; one sea turtle (huge) near Progresso and a large shark in the middle of the gulf. We have never seen a whale from a cruise ship but we did see one from shore in Oregon. It was quite a ways away though.

We are leaving March 10th on the Radiance out of Tampa to Cozumel and are wondering what we might see along the way. I have read about turtles, dolphins, and the infamous flying fish but wondered if whales were a possibilty on this route this time of year? Is March too cold or the wrong "season" to spot whales? If anyone has seen any or anything else remarkable on this route let us know as it's on my bucket list (unless I have enough pto left to go to Cabo this year..lol)!

We've done this route a number of times and have seen flying fish underway in the Gulf (not a regular thing) and turtles while docked in Cozumel. You may see some dolphins in Tampa Bay. Doubtful about whales - think someone mentioned cruises in the Pacific were best for that. We saw a number on our last Alaska trip and it was wonderful!!

One of the best things to see on the Radiance: going under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge ;)

Thanks all sounds great! I'm sure whatever we see along the way will be wonderful even if it's just the view of the wake from our balcony! We booked our first aft cabin and plan to spend alot of time just relaxing and enjoying the balcony.

Archived