terrible review of dining on the Odyssey

stray

Husband and I are going on the Amazon cruise departing 3/1. The latest review on TA is highly critical of food and food service on the ship. This is our first Seabourne cruise, and I will be very let down if the reviewer is correct. Any opinions pro or con will be appreciated.

Regarding this review by Amoroso, who stayed in a B2?.... suite on the Odyssey, I can say that I agree with him/her on one thing and that is:

There is a gap in the communication between the person taking the order and the person serving.

I've tried to inform Seabourn about this on several occasions.

And it is true that the Patio Grill serves the same menu all the time, but they do have a variety of things.

We normally eat in the main restaurant and yes, sometimes things go wrong (little things)..... just let the waiter or assistant Maitre know and it will be solved. But stay calm and polite...... what you give is what you get!

Marja

The reviewer in question also wrote a scathing review of Regent Seven Seas Voyager. Amazing that both ships had "rancid" food... I'd love to know what line is next for this guy..! :D

Host Dan

The reviewer in question also wrote a scathing review of Regent Seven Seas Voyager. Amazing that both ships had "rancid" food... I'd love to know what line is next for this guy..! :D

Host Dan

Very interesting, Dan. I have just found the review on Voyager, and see what you mean. Funnily enough, the nom-de-plume sounds Italian.:D

However, there is no doubt that SB have had some problems with staffing all their ships. We have not suffered on either the small ships or Sojourn, but have had just the one or two staff members who were less than charming and efficient, and on asking, some staff have admitted they have not had SB training before coming on board. Maybe SB will get their act together more with the move? They need to recruit people early on to give them time to be properly trained, and for the trainers to see if they are really suitable.

The point Marja makes she and I have made before; the main waiter for your table has to spend too much writing down orders to have time to supervise properly; surely this could be computerised? Anyone conversant with the technical side might have an answer to this?

Host Dan

Hi Dan! I also read the other review..... Also amazing that our friend Amoroso never posted on CC before!

Have a nice weekend all!

Marja

What a remarkable accusation!

We are on Odyssey NOW sailing from Port Stanley to Puerto Madryn before we disembark in Buenos Aires this coming Friday. We boarded in Ft Lauderdale on 4 Jan- more than a month ago.

The food and service in all restaurants is excellent. The head chef is Bjorn and his execution of even the most elaborate dishes such as those served at the Chef's Dinner was exquisite. The ship is full and my various dinner companions over this cruise all remark on how pleased they are- from the fresh red or white tomato soup to flavorful but honest fish dishes to proper French cuisine using meat and fowl. So there is not much more for me to say about this here.

I don't know what would prompt anyone to suggest canceling a cruise due to some spurious vitriol from someone who apparently thinks there is a B2 category on this ship... This is a superbly managed and executed luxury experience at all levels- from Capt Dexter, Hotel Manager Guenther, the 4 Maitres d'hotel and Cruise Director Handre.

On the other hand everyone is entitled to his opinion; I remember some weeks ago someone else suggesting "teeth shattering" vibration on this ship. We have sailed at 19 knots and also at 11 knots and have had no vibration in calm seas. In rough seas we have had the usual pitching that you will find on any ship.

So of course you should join in Manaus and prepare to have the best cruise ever.

Happy Sailing!

I don't know what would prompt anyone to suggest canceling a cruise due to some spurious vitriol from someone who apparently thinks there is a B2 category on this ship...

Good catch!! ;)

Host Dan

What a remarkable accusation!

We are on Odyssey NOW sailing from Port Stanley to Puerto Madryn before we disembark in Buenos Aires this coming Friday. We boarded in Ft Lauderdale on 4 Jan- more than a month ago.

The food and service in all restaurants is excellent. The head chef is Bjorn and his execution of even the most elaborate dishes such as those served at the Chef's Dinner was exquisite. The ship is full and my various dinner companions over this cruise all remark on how pleased they are- from the fresh red or white tomato soup to flavorful but honest fish dishes to proper French cuisine using meat and fowl. So there is not much more for me to say about this here.

I don't know what would prompt anyone to suggest canceling a cruise due to some spurious vitriol from someone who apparently thinks there is a B2 category on this ship... This is a superbly managed and executed luxury experience at all levels- from Capt Dexter, Hotel Manager Guenther, the 4 Maitres d'hotel and Cruise Director Handre.

On the other hand everyone is entitled to his opinion; I remember some weeks ago someone else suggesting "teeth shattering" vibration on this ship. We have sailed at 19 knots and also at 11 knots and have had no vibration in calm seas. In rough seas we have had the usual pitching that you will find on any ship.

So of course you should join in Manaus and prepare to have the best cruise ever.

Happy Sailing!

Hello Markham,

Glad to hear all is well on the Odyssey. We will be joining in Buenos Aires.

Sorry that we will miss you. Give our regards to Kel and Mary Sherwood and to David and Mary Parsons if you come across them.

Shelagh and Larry

Everyone is entitled to his opinion. Even if things are not perfect on the Odyssey they are way better than most other ships.

The one thing that concerns me a bit is that they are allowing staff onboard who have not undergone Seabourn training. It wasn't that long ago (two to three years) that all staff for the Odyssey were cadets first on the other ships in order to train and observe how to properly serve the passengers.

Everyone is entitled to his opinion. Even if things are not perfect on the Odyssey they are way better than most other ships.

The one thing that concerns me a bit is that they are allowing staff onboard who have not undergone Seabourn training. It wasn't that long ago (two to three years) that all staff for the Odyssey were cadets first on the other ships in order to train and observe how to properly serve the passengers.

I doubt it a lot, that staff would be on the Odyssey without being trained first. Most of us know there is the Seabourn Academy. Funny you mention 2 to 3 years Henry..... add the time of training on the smaller ships to that time and..... the Odyssey wasn't even finished ;=) !;)

Stephen and Andri, I'm glad you're having such a good time and Shelagh and Larry, once again.... have a super time on the Odyssey.

We will do the hard work..... and bring her to Europe again! :)

Marja

Seabourn Nail,

Thank you for the good wishes.

For Wripro, I don't know much about how Seabourn administers its hiring and training practices. The topic did not arise when I enjoyed an animated conversation with the training manager on board on the occasion of Mary C's cocktail party marking her 543rd day on Seabourn. For my part, I am satisfied with what I see and hear, preferring to leave industry matters to the professionals who know their business. Again, my opinion is that this ship runs extremely well and represents the future of cruising- as far as I am concerned.

And for Seabourn Nail, have a great crossing. You will see several friends from last year's world cruise who I know will be joining in Manaus and then continue across to Lisbon. I look forward to seeing you when our paths may cross as I am sure that they will!!!

Regards

I am very reassured by the replys to my question. Of course, we had no intention of cancelling a long anticipated cruise because of one (or more) negative reviews. However, reading the responses has taken away any concerns the reviewer provoked. Now, I can go back to looking forward to this experience, without reservation.

while seabourn and seadream may continue to go downhill, theyd still be the best along with ms europa.

hasnt it been a long time since service/food/etc could be compared to top hotels/restaurants/etc?

although on ms europa >

http://www.luxist.com/2010/10/20/chef-dieter-mueller-launches-new-restaurant-onboard-the-europa/

Europa...is the home to the new Restaurant Dieter Muller...26-seat restaurant...Muller is on board for 70 days of the year.

Muller is one of the most successful German chefs and made gourmet history for 18-years at the luxury hotel and restaurant Schlosshotel Lerbach which has three Michelin stars. He was voted "Chef of the Year" more than 4 times, by the French restaurant guide "Gault Millau" and the German magazine "Der Feinschmecker.

Marja,

I am referring specifically to a cruise on the Spirit in 2009 that I was on when cadets were being trained for the Odyssey and graduated before being put into service. That was February, two years ago.

OK Henry, two years.... I think Seabourn still uses that "format", but occasionally is short handed and needs to add some not so well trained young people to the crew, who will be worked on further while already on the big ships... There is always a trainer on board I think. And then during the time you spend on the ship, you sometimes hear that they graduated. Of course it would be better that they already did on fore hand ;)...

Marja

There was lots of classes of new crew on the ship. They get them from the hotel and restaurant school in South Africa. Seabourn claims rather get them green and then train them. As you can see at the passengers expense. On our cruise there was some real shake ups people were let go in Miami. Seabourn with the new ships are having great growing pains. And with Holland America being in charge and very few people moving to Seattle Washington. You can see who is going to run the show. Seabourn as of now have not told the TA"s all know but what are they waiting for.

Archived