Aarhus, Denmark

• 4 months later...

I´m taking a guess and say that you are not on the QM2 so you will have to get from Terminal Nord to Den Gamle By.

You can either walk and save the money.

http://map.krak.dk/m/aF5xj

Or else go to the train station Skolebakken that you see a little bit to the south on the map and take bus number 3 (towards Hasle) and 14 (towards Agerøvej/Nekseløvej v. Skjoldhøj) directly to Den Gamle By.

7 towards Charlottehøj will also get you close to the museum at Vesterbro Torv some 3-400 meters from the museum.

You do pass Vesterbro Torv on the walking route.

One single ticket cost 20 DKK so 40 kroner both ways and then you can mingle with the locals :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your help! We are arriving on Princess Emerald on July 9th. How far is the walk from pier to train station? So the way I understand this is we can take bus 3 or bus 14, looks like they run every 10 minutes or so, then walk to Den Gamle By. They are yellow buses, we enter from rear or middle, and we buy a ticket at machine before entering, zone 1-2 for 20kr. Do we also validate ticket in yellow box like in Copenhagen? For return trip to ship, where could we get off to shop and then walk back to pier? Thanks

The downtown area is located between my walking route the grey area, railway lines and the port so you can easily walk to that area without taking the bus.

I don´t know how the busses work in Aarhus but ask the driver or one of the locals and he/they will def. help you.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the information. We're going to be on the Emerald on the 20th and are trying to firm up plans for each port. If you could answer a few questions, we'd be most appreciative.How far from the ship was the shuttle that took you to Den Gamle By? How long did you spend there? Any other sights you saw that you'd recommend? Did you talk to anyone who visited the Moesgard Museum? Lastly, were taxis readily available? My husband can't walk long distances and we'd like to see both Den Gamle By and Moesgard in the limited time be have.

Thanks!

We went to Moesgard - small but excellent. We made a mistake, I think, by walking to the train/bus station; it took half an hour, then we had to wait for our bus... The bus ride is about 15 minutes.

It would be better to take the shuttle to whatever stop is closest to the station, go to Moesgard, and then figure out how to get to the Gamle By when you return. There should be time to do both. Everyone is friendly and helpful but you do have to know where the shuttle stops are.

There are Tourist Info people on the pier but you have to know the right questions to ask!

Sorry, don't know anything about taxis.

Good luck!

We took our time and walked with a map in hand to Den Gamle By and back to the ship. It's a good 40 to 45 min. walk one way. If you don't have any mobility issues and weather is cooperative, it's really no problem. We spent approx. 3 hours enjoying the Open Air Museum and a light lunch. Our cost for the day was the entrance fee to Den Gamle By (sorry, can't recall cost, but it was reasonable), and lunch.

On our walk back to the ship, an elderly lady joined us and she managed just fine. She mentioned she took the ship's bus to Den Gamle By, but did not get to see Aarhus, as the bus bypassed the town.

We will be on the Emerald Princess and they offer a tour on a Vintage Steam Train. Supposedly, you are taken on a bus ride through the country, the ride is supposed to be beautiful. Then the train ride is 25 minutes. Does anyone know anything about this tour?

Princess is offering a tour on a Historic Train Ride. Here's the exact discription: "Approximately 1/2 hour ride on a restored steam train on the most beautiful railroad in Denmark, photo stop at Sky Mountain - views of the Lake District from the summit. What you see: Central Jutland glacial valley & dense forest of Lake District."

Then the steam train will visit Silkeborg, Ry and Skanderborg but Himmelbjerget aka sky mountain ;-) can not be reached by train so its including a bus trip.

http://www.silkeborg.com/international/en-gb/menu/tourist/attractions/sightseeing/sightseeing/silkeborg.htm?gdksearch=cs-000-011-283&mode=1

Its most likely the preserved train Ry - Silkeborg.

Thank you so much for the website. It's the Veteranbanen Bryrup-VradsTel. Do you know if there's transportation from where the ship docks to the train? If so, how much would it cost to get from the ship to the train. Also, what is the schedule, how often does the train run, and what is the schedule? We'll need to know the timing to make sure we'll have enough time to get back and forth.

Thank you so much for the website. It's the Veteranbanen Bryrup-VradsTel. Do you know if there's transportation from where the ship docks to the train? If so, how much would it cost to get from the ship to the train. Also, what is the schedule, how often does the train run, and what is the schedule? We'll need to know the timing to make sure we'll have enough time to get back and forth.
We will be on the Emerald in May of 2012 so I translated the schedule information for this year. We will be in port on a Monday so Princess is our only option. The Princess tour is also supposed to stop at the Silkeborg Museum where you would have an opportunity to see Tollund Man.

1 May until 30 September

Sundays and Holidays: departs from Bryrup at 10:40, 13:20, 14:20, 15:20, 16:20

Saturdays: departs from Bryrup at 13:20, 14:20, 15:20, 16:20

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (July 11 to August 14): departs from Bryrup at 14:20, 15:20, 16:20

Don't know if you are on the Emerald Princess and if so in 2011 or 2012 but on the three remaining cruises this year the only option is the Princess Tour and next year only the 6/14, 7/6, 7/17 and 8/30 cruises could ride on a regularly scheduled train. Princess will probably charter the entire train for their tour so that might disrupt schedules. With the 90 minute ride each way and the limited train availability I would just stick with the somewhat expense Princess Tour.

Just back, my wife and I walked and discovered a very unique museum dedicated to the Danish Resistance. It was in a building by the Cathederal. Lots of exhibits of WWII items.

You are right, we will be in Aarhus on a Monday. Therefore our only option is to take the ships tour. The only interesting thing is that we signed up for the ships tour about 2 months again and we are wait listed. So who knows if we'll have the privilege of paying the ships outrageous $129.00pp.

• 7 months later...

I noticed in the Cruise Reviews Overview that Aarhus provides 250 free bikes at various locations around the city. I'm wondering if anyone who visited on a cruise found any available and was able to use them.

Archived