Misty Fjords: Plane or floatplane? And what else (if anything)? And with whom?

FinallyAlaska

Lots of questions! I know that in Ketchikan, we want to see Misty Fjords by air. Beyond that, I need help. Plane or floatplane? Or perhaps that depends on the tour company? I cannot stand the big tour bus way of touring, so an independent tour is a must. Also, we are a group of six--will that limit which tour companies we can use? Finally, I would like to add something else to our day but I am not sure what. We will be there the first week of June, so too early for bears . . .

Lots of questions! I know that in Ketchikan, we want to see Misty Fjords by air. Beyond that, I need help. Plane or floatplane? Or perhaps that depends on the tour company? I cannot stand the big tour bus way of touring, so an independent tour is a must. Also, we are a group of six--will that limit which tour companies we can use? Finally, I would like to add something else to our day but I am not sure what. We will be there the first week of June, so too early for bears . . .

Never heard of anything but a floatplane. I went with Island Wings/Michelle and it was great. She gives a great narrative and also will tell you how to set up your camera to get focused pictures from inside the plane. We landed in a lake in Misty Fjords and stepped out on a small island. I felt I was in good hands with her as the pilot.

Never heard of anything but a floatplane. I went with Island Wings/Michelle and it was great. She gives a great narrative and also will tell you how to set up your camera to get focused pictures from inside the plane. We landed in a lake in Misty Fjords and stepped out on a small island. I felt I was in good hands with her as the pilot.

I don't have anything planned for ketchein(sp?), but I do have a heli/glacier trek in Juneau, should I book w/ Island Wings even though I've booked a glacier trek/heli, my question, should I save money and just walk the town, etc. OR is it worth an extra heli ride?

I have the helicopter/glacier/dogsledding tour booking Juneau and the Misty fjords float plane in Ketchikan. I think they will be different experiences.

Wripro -

I am looking at the helicopter/glacier/dogsledding tour for Juneau. Did you have to book 2 separate excursions or did one find one that did the trick? It seemed like it is either the glacier by helicopter or the helicopter/dog sledding.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

Have you thought about fishing? Ketchikan is great for fishing.

Or several people rave about the Bering Strait excursion

Thanks for the help. The reason I asked about the different planes is that I was reading the cruise ship's offerings and one of the flights seemed to involve a plane that was not a floatplane (at least it didn't say floatplane, whereas several others did).

Fishing would appeal to my group--are there any tour operators that would offer that sort of a combination tour, or am I looking at two separate tours?

Here's a suggestion: http://www.kayakketchikan.com/mistyfjord_flightseeing.html

We did the kayaking portion of this excursion last summer and loved it. You would be better off with a floatplane because the floatplane can park in the water and allow you to get out.

We are booked for this excursion as well since we can kayak and still see misty fjords. Win Win!

Archived