Dress Code

searay22sd

Meaning no disrespect to anyone but I see no major problems with this thread: 1) Comparing Princess to NCL-two entirely different animals & 2) the assumption that having a "brand name" on a pair of shorts makes them "formal"-just can't picture wearing my black Greg Norman golf shorts with the rest of my tux!

In agree with you 100%, however several posters seem to have interpreted this as a "suggested" dress code when it never states the word "suggested".

There are those who have their own interpretation of the dress code as "what you can get away with" and seem to push this as their agenda for others to follow. I still wear a dark suit with shirt and tie and do not have to sit with those who dress down. Just my humble opinion aqnd not meant to start an argument. Thank you.

If we choose not to take "formal" attire on a cruise due to restricted limits on our luggage we eat elsewhere on formal night. I have noticed that a lot of men wear nice slacks and shirts and seem to have no problem. Hey, if it's the rules abide by them, I don't have a problem going somewhere else if I can't bring the appropriate clothing. I don't expect the rules to be changed because of me! I'm glad "shorts" are not acceptable in the dining room at night, some things need to be a bit different!

I saw a man argue and get really ugly with folks when he was told he could not go into the dining room wearing shorts, he made a fool of himself as far as I was concerned, I'm glad they didn't give in to his ranting and raving!:D

If we choose not to take "formal" attire on a cruise due to restricted limits on our luggage we eat elsewhere on formal night.:D

This is not meant directly to you. It is a general statement for those who make excuses of why they cannot take appropriate clothing.

We fly and I have no idea of what people mean when they say 'due to restricted limits on our luggage.' If you are allowed 50 lbs for 1 bag, that should be enable anyone to pack the appropriate clothes for any cruise. This should and does allow for 1 suit (jacket & pants), shirt, tie, shoes, socks, briefs, t-shirt.

If you can't get that in your case, you need a lesson on how to pack. Years ago we were told 'those that make excuses are seldom good at doing anything else.'

So, what is your excuse?

Anyone wishing to do their own thing should know that this is Princess's code. You risk being denied entry if you don't respect the dress code. You also will be in the minority.

It is unfair to state any other dress requirements counter to Princess's requests.

Yes, it very well may be the suggested dress code but most seasoned Princess cruisers know very well it not the actuality of the dining room dress in all cases. You can post all the written information that you like & people will still do as they see fit in their interpretation when it comes right down to it especially when they have to pay extra money for airline luggage fees. People have every right to expect to receive a decent meal & not have to go to extremes to receive it especially when they've paid their fare. The chances of being denied entrance to the dining room are becoming very rare lately and a person would actually have to go out of their way to be bared. Dress nicely within reason & you'll be fine.

Guess I'm just a lousy packer!:D But at least I do have a good sense of humor!! I'm not making excuses! Maybe I'd rather pack other things more important to me! My children go to Europe for 2 months and take only a backpack!

Have a nice evening!

Yes, it very well may be the suggested dress code but most seasoned Princess cruisers know very well it not the actuality of the dining room dress in all cases. You can post all the written information that you like & people will still do as they see fit in their interpretation when it comes right down to it especially when they have to pay extra money for airline luggage fees. People have every right to expect to receive a decent meal & not have to go to extremes to receive it especially when they've paid their fare. The chances of being denied entrance to the dining room are becoming very rare lately and a person would actually have to go out of their way to be bared. Dress nicely within reason & you'll be fine.

Most seasoned Princess cruisers do the right thing.

The written information I post comes directly from Princess. It is not in my words. There is no way it can be interpreted other than what it says. Telling people to dress any other way is a slap in the face to Princess.

When you go on a Princess cruise, you know there are formal nights. If you don't want to participate, you know ahead of time before the final payment.

If you consider wearing a jacket to dinner going to extremes then do what you must. But don't tell posters looking for info about formal nights what you do. Tell it like it is in Princess's words and let them make a decision on their own. It isn't fair to give someone incorrect information.

The written information I post comes directly from Princess. It is not in my words. There is no way it can be interpreted other than what it says. Telling people to dress any other way is a slap in the face to Princess.

When you go on a Princess cruise, you know there are formal nights. If you don't want to participate, you know ahead of time before the final payment.

If you consider wearing a jacket to dinner going to extremes then do what you must. But don't tell posters looking for info about formal nights what you do. Tell it like it is in Princess's words and let them make a decision on their own. It isn't fair to give someone incorrect information.

I fully agree with you - Just a question - when you read the Princess formal dress guidelines have you ever seen the word "suggested"? I have read it over and over again and have never seen the word "suggested" mentioned under the formal and smart casual guidelines.

This will probably be my last post on this thread.

Yes, it very well may be the suggested dress code but most seasoned Princess cruisers know very well it not the actuality of the dining room dress in all cases. You can post all the written information that you like & people will still do as they see fit in their interpretation when it comes right down to it especially when they have to pay extra money for airline luggage fees. People have every right to expect to receive a decent meal & not have to go to extremes to receive it especially when they've paid their fare.
Every seasoned Princess cruiser I know or have traveled with abides by the Princess dress code. It's rare to see someone in the dining room who doesn't. That's my reality. Blaming luggage fees is a cop out since a seasoned cruiser knows how to pack and what to bring, or is willing to pay the fee. A "decent meal" is subjective and no where does it say in the Passage Contract or elsewhere that no matter what, you can eat where and whenever you want wearing whatever you feel like.

The reality for seasoned, and new, cruisers is that the dress code is in place for all passengers and with few exceptions, respected.

I don't think anyone is giving incorrect information if they are simply telling the original poster what they have observed onboard during recent cruises. YES, we can all read the posted dress code that Princess provides (just as we can read the posted rules regarding the bringing on board of wine, etc. - there is "official" information and then there is...well....unofficial information, and I'm interested in both). What this gentleman wanted to know was whether or not the dress code is firm (and from the many stories of other cruisers, it is not necessarily so). In my opinion, that is what this forum is for -to ask questions, big and small, of other cruisers and get answers based on experience. So, in a nutshell, most people who post here tend to observe the Princess dress code, but other cruisers do not always do so, with a variety of results. It sounds to me as though shorts are (most likely) going to prohibit your admission to the MDR, regardless of how nice they are.

I fully agree with you - Just a question - when you read the Princess formal dress guidelines have you ever seen the word "suggested"? I have read it over and over again and have never seen the word "suggested" mentioned under the formal and smart casual guidelines.

This will probably be my last post on this thread.

No, I have never seen "suggested" in the guidelines.:D

Every seasoned Princess cruiser I know or have traveled with abides by the Princess dress code. It's rare to see someone in the dining room who doesn't. That's my reality. Blaming luggage fees is a cop out since a seasoned cruiser knows how to pack and what to bring, or is willing to pay the fee. A "decent meal" is subjective and no where does it say in the Passage Contract or elsewhere that no matter what, you can eat where and whenever you want wearing whatever you feel like.

The reality for seasoned, and new, cruisers is that the dress code is in place for all passengers and with few exceptions, respected.

Well said!:D

I don't think anyone is giving incorrect information if they are simply telling the original poster what they have observed onboard during recent cruises. YES, we can all read the posted dress code that Princess provides (just as we can read the posted rules regarding the bringing on board of wine, etc. - there is "official" information and then there is...well....unofficial information, and I'm interested in both). What this gentleman wanted to know was whether or not the dress code is firm (and from the many stories of other cruisers, it is not necessarily so). In my opinion, that is what this forum is for -to ask questions, big and small, of other cruisers and get answers based on experience. So, in a nutshell, most people who post here tend to observe the Princess dress code, but other cruisers do not always do so, with a variety of results. It sounds to me as though shorts are (most likely) going to prohibit your admission to the MDR, regardless of how nice they are.

This is where the misinformation can be a surprise to an unsuspecting cruiser who follows it. How upset will they be or how embarrassed will they be if they are turned away from the dining room or feel underdressed.

The facts are that the few here who tell you to wear what you want are misinforming the new Princess cruisers.

This forum is for asking questions and the people asking them deserve facts, not opinions.

Until Princess changes its dress code, it is what it is.

I consider myself "seasoned" and have seen numerous other "seasoned" people dressing down on different occasions both formal & casual evenings. Sure most Princess diners do dress as you suggest but my response was fore the sake of the OP who was the one who originally asked in the first place. You & others can post the suggested dress codes all day long but at least the OP does know that not all people care to follow it & they can still be admitted into the dining room nevertheless as long as they try to dress somewhat nicely.

I personally don't have any excuse for not fully complying to any dress code, whether it formal or casual, but simple because I like dress comfortably without the hassle & eating in the dining room does get me the better meals. I can travel with a 23 inch suitcase with room to spare (and I get free laundry).;)

This is where the misinformation can be a surprise to an unsuspecting cruiser who follows it. How upset will they be or how embarrassed will they be if they are turned away from the dining room or feel underdressed.

Hardly misinformation when I personally have see many, many people dressing down without problems.

The facts are that the few here who tell you to wear what you want are misinforming the new Princess cruisers.

New cruisers ask exactly what the reality of the dress in the dining room is & now they know both sides of the story.

This forum is for asking questions and the people asking them deserve facts, not opinions.

Very true and all my opinions are facts verified with photo's.

Until Princess changes its dress code, it is what it is.

It is what ever you want to make of it and if a person is self conscious then by all means dress in a tux or full length gown & make yourself happy in the process. ;)

I consider myself "seasoned" and have seen numerous other "seasoned" people dressing down on different occasions both formal & casual evenings. Sure most Princess diners do dress as you suggest but my response was fore the sake of the OP who was the one who originally asked in the first place. You & others can post the suggested dress codes all day long but at least the OP does know that not all people care to follow it & they can still be admitted into the dining room nevertheless as long as they try to dress somewhat nicely.

I personally don't have any excuse for not fully complying to any dress code, whether it formal or casual, but simple because I like dress comfortably without the hassle & eating in the dining room does get me the better meals. I can travel with a 23 inch suitcase with room to spare (and I get free laundry).;)

Thank-you! Perfectly put!

Posters are giving their observations on what they have seen on their cruises. On our last cruise, on New Year's Eve, which was the second formal night, my hubby hadn't yet changed into his suit and tie (I had already put on my LBD). He was wearing one of those (yes, I know you folks will grimace) tuxedo shirts -- but the long sleeve type, not the short sleeve type. Honestly, we decided to go to the dining room to get our little pager, go back to the cabin, and he was going to change into his suit, figuring that we would have a wait as we did on the first formal night. But at the door, the head waiter asked if we wanted a table by ourselves or to share. When we said, "share," we were asked to follow. Yes, we were being seated as is. Not even a evil glance at his outfit. We just shrugged and followed. We were seated with two other couples, who didn't seem to give hubby's look a second glance too.

The funny thing is that a short time later, the captain, some other officers and their wives, were seated at the next table.

Later on, when it was time to party on for NYE, hubby looked sufficiently appropriate for the occasion. In fact, he got lots of compliments.

Of course, if the head waiter had asked him to change, he wouldn't have minded at all.

It is what ever you want to make of it and if a person is self conscious then by all means dress in a tux or full length gown & make yourself happy in the process. ;)

Those pictures should not be posted as I am sure the subjects did not give you permission to take or post them on the internet. They do not indicate a room full of improperly dressed people. You are misinforming the readers of this thread.

If you wish to dress your own way,go right ahead but don't give the impression everybody does it your way. They don't! Very few do.

Until Princess changes the dress code, it is what it is.

Scottish/Irish Kilts are acceptable for men on formal nights in the MDR, seen it with my very own eyes. Underwear must be worn ! LOL.

Well, that would depend on what is worn above the kilt. I often wear my kilt (and it's nobody's business what's under it) on formal nights, but usually quite formal (white tie). A kilt can be formal, or black tie, or informal, or casual, depending on what is worn with it. Last cruise I dressed down to a tux (black tie - not "formal" - with trousers) because it was Southern Caribbean and a bit warm for 16 yards of wool. But actually I would have been more confortable in the kilt, as were several other gentlemen.

Under no circumstances would I go to a dining room on formal nights with less than black tie, or at least a very nice coat and tie. I have more respect for my fellow passengers (and the ship) than that.

Guess I'm just a lousy packer!:D But at least I do have a good sense of humor!! I'm not making excuses! Maybe I'd rather pack other things more important to me! My children go to Europe for 2 months and take only a backpack!

Have a nice evening!

What relevance do your children going to Europe for 2 months and only taking a backpack have to do with someone taking a cruise? Or are you saying that people who don't pack/dress properly considered children? OMG! I guess you are RIGHT! Thanks for the analogy.

Those pictures should not be posted as I am sure the subjects did not give you permission to take or post them on the internet. They do not indicate a room full of improperly dressed people. You are misinforming the readers of this thread.

If you wish to dress your own way,go right ahead but don't give the impression everybody does it your way. They don't! Very few do.

Until Princess changes the dress code, it is what it is.

You are correct, they are a very small percentage of the total amount of diners in the dining room. Perhaps 95 % of the people were at least dressed within the guidelines they suggest (imo) but I took the pictures & posted them because they show that not every one follows Princess's guidelines & they can deviate from the norm & still be seated. Some posters say that they've never seen any people seated not within the guidelines, well I do.

No, the people didn't give me permission to post their picture but did you also notice that there are no faces shown in any of them. ;) I posted them once before & they were removed for that reason. You cannot identify any on the people, including the head waiters. Here's another fine example and another.

Archived