Just returned from queen victoria 17 day voyage

deck chair

Deck Chair -

Or anyone else for that matter. I am glad the GLP was brought up, it reminded me that I had a question.

While I enjoy a glass of wine, especially with a meal, I am, at heart, a beer drinker (I even brew my own). What is the beer selection in the pub? Is it all bottled, or do they carry draught as well? Is it real beer, or the Colorado kool-aid style that so dominates the American market?

Not a deal breaker, but it sure would be a plus.

Thanks

Edited by ednria

I just finished a 16-day transatlantic on QV and completely agree about the synthentic decking. I found it so slippery that I actually fell more than once during my fitneess walks, even after being very careful. After the third time I just never walked outside when it was wet. I have not ever had this problem on real teak decks.

This and temperature regulation problems were the only issues I had with QV. The Queens Room was so cold I started referring to it as the Ice Castle. The Chart Room was frigid also. Our stateroom seemed to have two available temperatures, 55 or 80.

I measured the temperature in the Queens Room on the TA, it was 22 C. This was the same as the cabin, which seemed to be stuck at one temperature throughout. However, there seems to be a problem with (de)humidifying- a couple of dances in the QR, you were soaked with sweat. Wearing a jacket was intolerable.

I've found slippery decks to be a problem on most ships.

• 3 months later...

JUST RETURNED FROM THE QUEEN VICTORIA UPDATE

For those who have read my postings regarding my 17 day voyage on the Queen Victoria from NY to LA, I would like to inform you that I will soon be sailing again on the fabulous Queen Mary 2 on 8/22/11 for back to back trans Atlantic crossings and will, of course, post my daily impressions as I have done on previous crossings. This should be a wonderful trip and hope you will come along with me. Thanks.

DECK CHAIR

JUST RETURNED FROM QUEEN VICTORIA 17 DAY VOYAGE PART THREE

I was well aware that the decking on the Queen Victoria is some sort of hard plastic/vinyl material quite unlike the Queen MAry which features teak decking in all exterior areas except the very aft and very forward areas.

But It is still very jarring to board the queen Victoria and find this horrible ugly fake wood decking everywhere even in the winter Garden. You can tell the bean counters made this decision. It is similar to buying a $50,000 sofa and then placing plastic seat covers over it.

Not only is this decking ugly, it is very slippery when moist/wet. The decking also squeaks when walkers/joggers with rubber sole shoes are walking/running on it. Would this keep me from sailing on this ship again? No but it sure is unappealing. Of course, I remind myself that S.S. United States had no teak decking either but the United States Lines had a great excuse.

Since I am still working I must leave now and continue later if I may. I am far from finished. Thank you for reading.

Deck Chair

I agree with you I thought the fake wood deck was ugly.

For those who have read my postings regarding my 17 day voyage on the Queen Victoria from NY to LA, I would like to inform you that I will soon be sailing again on the fabulous Queen Mary 2 on 8/22/11 for back to back trans Atlantic crossings and will, of course, post my daily impressions as I have done on previous crossings. This should be a wonderful trip and hope you will come along with me. Thanks.

DECK CHAIR

That's great deck chair, will look forward to what you have to report. Capn has finished his sailings for now, will be nice to hear what you have to say about QM2.

Catherine

Just a quick note because we just got back from sailing on QV in 8067, right next door to your 8065 coming up. Yes, you'll hear some deck noise above from Winter Garden chairs and even footsteps in hard-heeled shoes. Oddly, also smelled a lot of food odors coming, I guess, from Lido next to Winter Garden. Awakened out of sound sleep the first night at 3:30 am of overwhelming smell of garlic! Hard to get rid of!

Hi, we were in 8065 in July a few weeks back, I agree that there was some noise of chairs being moved above, but in my opinion it was not excessive and didn't spoil the experience in any way. There was definately no smell of food at all, at any time of the day or night.;)

Edited by philayl

DECK CHAIR

Deck Chair,

I'll be on that same crossing and maybe we will meet up.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Readers

I am sailing tomorrow on Queen Mary 2 out of Brooklyn....It is a nice enough area in New York from which to sail to England but no way compares to the exciting romantic time that we experienced on Queen Victoria on 1/13 sailing from the Manhattan Westside piers down the river. ...the trillions of brilliant lights from the various buildings including the Empire State Building...the Statue of Liberty...the views from the Commodore Club were amazing that night...too bad Passengers on tomorrow's sailing can't have that experience...just a thought..PLEASE ADVISE IF I HAVE MISPELLED MANHATTAN!!!!

Deck Chair

• 2 years later...

Thank you for the great posts, Deck Chair, and for all the information and your impressions! Great thread!

I agree with your comments about the QM2 promenade real-wood decking being a pleasure : ) Your suggestion to be alert and aware of potential for slipperiness on the QE is appreciated.

Happy Sailing!