Cozumel - Allure of The Seas Royal Caribbean Employee dies

I agree with the ones that stated crime can happen anywhere and it does. At this point no one knows what happened. Just like any where else in the world, be aware of your surroundings. Not sure what people expect RCI to say or do. More than likely this person was off somewhere on the island on their own. It's sad that it happened but not a reason for people to stop going to this island.

<It always pays to be alert in any city anywhere in the world, watch where your going, stay off the beaten paths, don't wear a lot of jewellery, etc. We all know the rules, but I sometimes break them too, however, I have never felt unsafe in Cozumel and have been there many times. We usually get dropped off downtown by a taxi, then walk several blocks away to an awesome local restaurant called "La Choza", where they have the best guacamole and ceviche. Also been to Carlos and Charlies where we walked halfway back to the ship at night before taking a taxi the rest of the way. I grew up in Kingston, Jamaica, so tend to be very aware of my surroundings and if I have even an inkling of feeling unsafe or anything, I follow my instincts and leave the area. I feel very bad though, for the honest Mexican citizens that are trying to make a living and now will lose some business from the tourists...>

I think you mean stay ON the beaten path. It's when people venture off, on their own, that they sometimes get in trouble. Seems like that's what happened here. The report said she was found on a remote beach.

Regardless of what happened, it's a sad story. It will be interesting to get further details.

Anyone consider the violence may have come with her, such as another crew member? Maybe even a crime of passion? Without any details of the incident everything about this being a rise in the crime level of Cozumel is just speculation. Of course that is our favorite pastime on these boards. :rolleyes:

There is no place in Mexico that is safe. And that is my opinion.

I happen to share that opinion...having been to many ports in Mexico. I simply will not get off the ship and really have looked elsewhere for ports of call.

Besides which, IF I want to see Mexico, I have many places in the good 'ol USA to do that in today's circumstances.

So, for all of you that enjoy Mexico...please do so! That is your opinion and right even as Lynees can have an opinion and right to have it.

Have happy and safe cruises!

I love Cozumel and feel safer there than in Miami. Cozumel is much safer than alot of cities in the USA.

We just went to the Western Caribbean - Cozumel and Costa Maya and both places were wonderful, never felt unsafe. Felt more unsafe in Belize but we stuck to a Carnival tour so we were OK. Alot of these places in Mexico rely on tourism for their living. Our guide in Costa Maya was telling us how the drug wars are really hurting the people and the economy of Mexico even though it currently is not affecting Costa Maya or Cozumel, they fear eventually it will move down that way.

Are you implying Haiti is in Mexico....or Mexico is in Haiti

fenced off from who?? The mexicans:p anywayyyyy I agree that things could happen anywhere and not until the investigation is done is stupid for members to speculate. We were on a carnival ship that stopped in St Lucia and there was a big group of people crying when we got back on ship, one of their members drowned. All the people at dinner and the bars were making up their own stories and reporting it to CC boards:eek: It turned out he was drunk and he never made it back to shore.....lets just wait for the facts before we have to make a list of DANGEROUS places. I stop in Mexico in almost all my cruises and never even blinked twice, but then again we dont wander;)

I can show you a couple of places in New York/New Jersey that i wouldn't be caught dead in:eek:......

Looking forward to a week in Coz in less than a month. First visited on a cruise for a day, got addicted and introduced the family. We now visit at least twice a year and that is nowhere near enough. Have I ever felt unsafe-NO! Has anyone in my family or guests- NO! I'm not sure what happened to the poor and unfortunate woman, my prayers are with those who love and grieve for her. Having been there about 6 months ago and hopping around the island for the week as the head honcho ( husband disabled and spent much time at resort) I can say that there was never a time anyone in our party felt anything but safe and secure. It would be best to reserve judgment on this unfortunate event until the facts are in. If you wish to go with the hype then stay on the ship and definitely don't explore the island- then you won't see Cozumel's beauty and those who love the island won't have to share with so many.

If she was found in the water with a injury to her head on the southern part of the island, it could be due to the rough surf and alot of rocks. That side of the Island is open to the ocean and not as calm as the west side that faces the mainland. You really cant swim on the south end of the Island, it is very dangerous! I was in Cozumel a few months ago never felt unsafe but there were definately alot fewer tourist until the cruise ships came in. Our hotel was only 20% booked.

It's also the opinion of the US Department of State, they have travel warning for even Cancun and Cozumel.

No such "travel warning" exists for those particular locations. A general travel warning exists for the country of Mexico which can be viewed here.

Interestingly, the travel warning does talk about tourist destinations in this paragraph:

Millions of U.S. citizens safely visit Mexico each year. This includes tens of thousands who cross the border every day for study, tourism or business and at least one million U.S. citizens who live in Mexico. The Mexican government makes a considerable effort to protect U.S. citizens and other visitors to major tourist destinations. Resort areas and tourist destinations in Mexico do not see the levels of drug-related violence and crime reported in the border region and in areas along major drug trafficking routes. Nevertheless, crime and violence are serious problems. While most victims of violence are Mexican citizens associated with criminal activity, the security situation poses serious risks for U.S. citizens as well.

And in this paragraph:

U.S. citizen visitors are encouraged to stay in the well-known tourist areas. Travelers should leave their itinerary with a friend or family member not traveling with them, avoid traveling alone, and check with their cellular provider prior to departure to confirm that their cell phone is capable of roaming on GSM or 3G international networks. Cell phone coverage in isolated parts of Mexico, for example, the Copper Canyon, is spotty or non-existent.

I heard from another cruiser, here at work, that the young lady that swallowed the brooch actually swallowed an open safey pin and it punctured her insides. I am trying to figure out where she recieved her information from, but it all kinda makes sense now.

We spoke with Royal Caribbean spokeswoman, Cynthia Martinez, who confirms that although there have been conflicting reports in the media, the original story regarding the crewmember whose body was found in Cozumel was correct.

As for the passenger who passed away in a hospital in Cancun, Martinez says, "She debarked Allure of the Seas on February 4 in Cozumel to receive medical attention. Out of respect for patient confidentiality, we cannot discuss her medical situation with the media, nor can we release personal information until her next of kin is contacted."

Martinez also maintains that the two deaths are not related.

We spoke with Royal Caribbean spokeswoman, Cynthia Martinez, who confirms that although there have been conflicting reports in the media, the original story regarding the crewmember whose body was found in Cozumel was correct.

As for the passenger who passed away in a hospital in Cancun, Martinez says, "She debarked Allure of the Seas on February 4 in Cozumel to receive medical attention. Out of respect for patient confidentiality, we cannot discuss her medical situation with the media, nor can we release personal information until her next of kin is contacted."

Martinez also maintains that the two deaths are not related.

That is in TOTAL conflict with the new article posted...... according to the article it's the crew member that passed away in the hospital in Cancun and the passenger was the one found dead in the water in Cozumel. So either the article is wrong or Royal is still making incorrect statements:confused:

Now I just found this article that confirms Royal's statement.....talk about contradicting stories:rolleyes:

http://www.hispanicallyspeakingnews.com/notitas-de-noticias/details/2nd-royal-caribbean-cruise-passenger-dies-on-ship-docked-in-cozumel/5111/

That is in TOTAL conflict with the new article posted...... according to the article it's the crew member that passed away in the hospital in Cancun and the passenger was the one found dead in the water in Cozumel. So either the article is wrong or Royal is still making incorrect statements:confused:

Now I just found this article that confirms Royal's statement.....talk about contradicting stories:rolleyes:

http://www.hispanicallyspeakingnews.com/notitas-de-noticias/details/2nd-royal-caribbean-cruise-passenger-dies-on-ship-docked-in-cozumel/5111/

As mentioned above Royal Caribbean is aware of the conflicting news reports. In response to that, Martinez has officially confirmed that the woman who drowned in Cozumel was a crewmember and that the woman who died in a hospital in Cancun was a passenger. The accidents were completely unrelated. Reports that state otherwise are incorrect.

A shame these events are mostly inspiring people to try to out-snark each other.

You only have 34 posts, I think your just here to start trouble! ;)

Yes, that was sarcasm, and I hope we do here more if more is ever known.

You have to be careful no matter where you are.

We took our 4 children to Cozumel...it was probably our least favorite port. We just walked around the stores near the ship. Next time we will probably skip it. Although it wasn't our favorite port others may love it. We loved Jamaica and have read many posts about others having the exact opposite opinion.

Everybody is entitled to have an opinion without being riduculed.

Don't give up on Cozumel yet! :) We've been there 5 times. It can easily get a bad rap if you limit yourself to the shopping area at the pier or, head downtown and are harrased by vendors. Don't deprive yourself of the beauty of the waters in Cozumel. Try Chankanaab National Park for the ultimate experience. Swimming, snorkeling, swim w/dolphins, food, drink, beach chairs, clean restrooms, picturesque setting and safe! Cabs at the port will take you directly there in 10 mins. It's a shame that such a beautiful port will get a bad rap with a few bad incidents. Whatever you decide, Happy Cruising! :D

So sad. RCCL has always had great live music. I wish I could have heard her.

Is this her?

http://www.babyenglish.edu.pl/en/page/musicians

http://www.jmc.pl/produkcje/pfo/eng-...markiewicz.htm

I was on the Allure a couple of weeks ago and I think that she was the violinist that played with a guitar player in the Viking Crown Lounge. We saw them a couple of times. She was very talented.

Archived