ATMs In Norway

Stevesan

First time to Norway and will need kroner. Do I need to stock up before leaving home,

or are ATMs readily available at the ports of call? And are they friendly to U.S. bank debit cards?

Our first stop is Stavanger, second is Flaam.

First time to Norway and will need kroner. Do I need to stock up before leaving home, or are ATMs readily available at the ports of call? And are they friendly to U.S. bank debit cards? Our first stop is Stavanger, second is Flaam.

As I recall, we got our first group of Norway currency in Alesund. No need to buy cash in advance. Get it there. Stavanger is a town with population of 121,000 and a metro area of nearly 300,000. I would get your cash there given its size and it being your first port stop. We stopped first in Flam. They probably had an ATM there, but I wouldn't take the risk of waiting till there with the potential of longer lines there and/or that you get there late and they are out of cash. In a larger city, you will have more options in the event there are any technical problems with that machine or your card.

Assume you're doing the fascinating train at Flam, right? Check the below live/blog posting that I did on your trip there and to other locations along that great coastal area. To get you excited, here are a couple pictures and added info on this Flam train. What other ports in Norway are you visiting?

Flam, with a population of about 500, is nestled deep in a tributary of the world's longest and deepest fjord. It is 128 miles long and has a maximum depth of 4,291 feet. On the question of how deep are these fjords, local say: “A mermaid could swim all the way to China.” Our chief attraction here is the 66-year-old Flam Railway. It is widely known as one of the world's best railroad journeys. It includes twenty tunnels and eight stops as it goes up the mountain. This rail lines rises from Flam’s gingerbread rail station going up 2,835 feet to Myrdal and this "Roof of Norway" rail station. Railroad website: http://www.flaamsbana.no/eng.

In the afternoon, we sailed to Gudvangen and traveled up the Naeroyfjord.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 31,560 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Arriving at Flam, the Captain is right there directing this process. You can see here some of the fjord mountains, waterfalls in the background. Below are more pictures and highlights from this day in the Sognerfjord that is rated as the best in all of Norway for these views.:

FjordsDockedFlam.jpg

Here are a few highlights from the Flam train ride, including where you stop to see this dramatic waterfall. Did you like these scenic views in Norway?:

FjordTrainWaterfall.jpg

FjordsHotelValleyView.jpg

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

FjordsTrainViews.jpg

Thank you for such a detailed response. It's difficult finding info about our ports.

The North Cape cruise has far fewer folks cruising it, thus less port info.

I, and most of our Roll Call, have booked the Flaam Railway & Voss.

At Stavanger, a number of us are taking the independent route for the "Sail To Lysefjord" with Rodne tours.

The same tour as the ship, but half the price with fewer people. Also, a 25% senior's discount!:)

We're having very little luck finding independent tours for this itinerary. Not so much to save on cost.

I have gladly taken a number of Europe/Britain tour with independant operators costing more the the cruise line's tours.

Our other ports are: Hellesylt, Trondheim, Honningsvag, Tromso and Bergen.

Great Pix!!:D

Again, thank you for taking time to reply.

There are plenty of ATMs and they have no problem with US cards. Also, almost every business in Norway takes credit cards (even the little tents in the farmer's markets). Unfortunately we have run into a few shop-based credit card machines that choke on US cards, but it doesn't happen that often - especially at tourist-oriented locations.

For actual tours with guides, there is very little (if any) cost savings going on your own. The labor costs of the guides/drivers is very high, and the demand is generally very low, so there aren't a lot of independent tours (aside from things like fjord boat trips). Luckily, most of the ports are easily navigated on your own on foot or by public transit. Of those ports, Hellesylt/Geiranger and Honningsvag are the ones that might be a little more difficult to get around.

There are plenty of ATMs and they have no problem with US cards. Also, almost every business in Norway takes credit cards (even the little tents in the farmer's markets). Unfortunately we have run into a few shop-based credit card machines that choke on US cards, but it doesn't happen that often - especially at tourist-oriented locations.

For actual tours with guides, there is very little (if any) cost savings going on your own. The labor costs of the guides/drivers is very high, and the demand is generally very low, so there aren't a lot of independent tours (aside from things like fjord boat trips). Luckily, most of the ports are easily navigated on your own on foot or by public transit. Of those ports, Hellesylt/Geiranger and Honningsvag are the ones that might be a little more difficult to get around.

Thank you for your comments. A visit to North Cape is a once in a lifetime experience. I'm not looking to save money. It's nice when that happens, but I book independent tours for a better (read fewer people) experience. I don't mind going off on my own if I've previously visited a place, . On a first visit, however, I prefer having a guide so I'll know what I'm looking at. :D

Once again, thanks. Good info about the credit cards, too.

ATMs are plentiful and definitely the way to go in Norway. Last year when we were cruising through Norway (in quite a few different places) we noticed that it has become very difficult to exchange money in banks (the same with cashing travelers checks) but ATMs were everywhere and also got us the best exchange rate. I would add that we got a lot of Kroner in our first port and when we got to our last port (Bergen) we had quite a time trying to change our Kroner back to Euros (dollars would have been the same problem). It turned out that one of the few places that would change money back was at the main visitors center (right in the center of town and an easy walk from the port) where we had to wait about thirty minutes for our turn to change money.

Hank

ATMs are plentiful and definitely the way to go in Norway. Last year when we were cruising through Norway (in quite a few different places) we noticed that it has become very difficult to exchange money in banks (the same with cashing travelers checks) but ATMs were everywhere and also got us the best exchange rate. I would add that we got a lot of Kroner in our first port and when we got to our last port (Bergen) we had quite a time trying to change our Kroner back to Euros (dollars would have been the same problem). It turned out that one of the few places that would change money back was at the main visitors center (right in the center of town and an easy walk from the port) where we had to wait about thirty minutes for our turn to change money.

Hank

An excellent point. Since my bank won't supply Kroner, They likely won't exchange from NOK to USD. The ship will probably convert, but the rate would be usurious.

Hope you don't mind: I copy/pasted your reply on my Roll Call :D

An excellent point. Since my bank won't supply Kroner, They likely won't exchange from NOK to USD. The ship will probably convert, but the rate would be usurious.

Hope you don't mind: I copy/pasted your reply on my Roll Call :D

Actually, most of the US based cruise lines do not convert dollars (or Euros) to Kroner. Most of the ships will convert dollars to Euros (and their rate is not the best) and most will buy back Euros (again at a less than stellar rate).

Hank

• 1 month later...

Plastic is the norm in Norway. In my 10+ visits never had issue with debit card and abundance of ATMs (with English option). But have had trouble with credit cards. In Norway (as in many countries) all credit cards are chipped - you enter a PIN instead of signing and some merchants will not accept a card without a PIN. Thank goodness we have chip cards in Canada now, but don't think they are available in US.

Also a merchant may ask whether a transaction is credit or debit. In many countries you have 1 card for both credit & debit & at time of transaction specify which account you wish to use.

Archived