Carnival's "policy" on dive equipment

MindTheGap1918

I posted this on Carnival's board, but wanted to give a heads up to divers cruising Carnival in the future...

We sailed on the Victory in January and had an issue with Carnival in regards to what scuba equipment can be brought on board. When our luggage was delivered to our room, we were missing a bag with my boyfriend’s scuba equipment in it and let our cabin steward know and he informed us they were still delivering luggage. We proceeded to get ready for dinner when guest services called and stated my boyfriend needed to go retrieve his bag from security. Security would not let his bag through because they stated he had a tool in his bag. The “tool” was a small wrench designed to fit regulator hoses on scuba equipment. My boyfriend has cruised with Carnival in the past and taken this same “tool” with him and it is not listed on Carnival’s prohibited items. After realizing ship security was being unreasonable and not going to let him use it after he repeatedly explained its use, he asked them to lock it up so he could retrieve it at the end of the sailing and they refused saying it was seized and he could not have it back! Carnival’s policy allows divers to bring dive knives to be locked up until the scheduled dive day, but he can’t have his small dive wrench specifically made to fix regulator hoses? The policy specifically states that any prohibited items will be locked up and returned at the end of the sailing and the wrench was clearly not a “tool of trade’” that warranted being disposed of. There was also a woman dealing with security because she attempted to bring an iron on board (clearly on the prohibited items list!) and she was told she could have it back at the end of the sailing. After dealing with security, we attempted to resolve the issue with Guest Services and they stated they had no control over what security removed from bags. He even explained the situation with the lady and the iron and was told “that’s different”. We attempted to resolve the situation with Carnival since we’ve been back home to get reimbursed for the tool (and no, we aren’t looking to get a free cruise out of it) due to lack of clarification in their policies, but Carnival refuses to do anything.

Yep, no tools of any size are allowed on board. I leave my dive combo tool behind when I get on, but I do get to keep my dive tool because the blade is less than 4 inches long. I figure if I need to adjust anything, I'll do it at the dive shop that I'm using or on the boat.

Yep, no tools of any size are allowed on board. I leave my dive combo tool behind when I get on, but I do get to keep my dive tool because the blade is less than 4 inches long. I figure if I need to adjust anything, I'll do it at the dive shop that I'm using or on the boat.

Actually, Carnival's policy states no "tools of trade" on board which the small dive wrench clearly is not a tool of trade. It has been taken on past cruises and it hasn't been an issue. Carnival's policy does allow dive knives to be locked with security until the date of dive, but apparently not regulator wrenches that pose no threat.

How big a wrench are you talking about? My regulator wrench would fit the description of a tool of the trade. If I wanted to smuggle it on board, I would put it in with my manicure items to disguise it and carry it on. But, they're not necessary because the dive operators will have them. One less thing to carry for me. :)

We're going to be on the Victory in March, and DH would be really upset if someone confiscated his little travel tool pouch.

I was concerned about it going on the plane, but now we'll just have to leave it at home.

Thanks so much for your help!

Wendy

I guess I have been lucky thus far! I have been on three carnival cruises with my dive gear. I usually pack a crescent wrench, and a couple of different combination wrenches, along with some allen wrenches, and never had any problems. Then again, I never needed them either. I guess I will be leaving them at home for this next cruise! Thanks for the warning.

~Mike

I bring a set of tools on every cruise.

Crescent wrech, pliers, needle nose pliers, jewelers screwdriver, screwdriver set and others.

I've used them several times over the years but especially for taking the water restrictor out of the shower head.:D

Archived