Skating

Cupcrazy

On RC's website under skating it says "We request that all skaters wear long pants and socks for their own comfort and safety." Does long pants mean I have to wear sweat pants or jeans or something similar? The shorts I wear go past my knees. Is this long enough for going skating or do they want longer? I'm a good skater and play hockey all the time. Falling isn't going to be a concern for me.

I would assume they want you covered up to avoid scrapes or injury while skating in case someone falls. It won't matter if falling isn't a big deal for you because you can skate well, that would be something of a blanket rule to "protect" everyone. Of course, the cynic in me says that rule isn't really to protect the customers, it's to protect RCI incase someone does wear shorts out there and falls and scrapes themselves up pretty bad and threatens to sue or something. *shrug*

I think the real question should be "do they inforce" said rule, especially since it says they request people wear long pants, not require.

I think the real question should be "do they inforce" said rule, especially since it says they request people wear long pants, not require.

That's what I meant. How much or hard to they enforce said request? Packing a pair of sweatpants isn't a big deal though

I'm a good skater and play hockey all the time. Falling isn't going to be a concern for me.

Don't be so sure about this - my dh who is a hockey player/good skater took quite a fall & hit his head on the ice which drew blood. The combination of the ice not being in the greatest condition & the movement of the ship can easily make the best skaters fall (including the performers during the shows)

That's what I meant. How much or hard to they enforce said request? Packing a pair of sweatpants isn't a big deal though

They enforce it. No socks, no long pants, no skate.

You might be a good skater but if someone else takes you out and you land on their blade or your own, skate blades lead to some very nasty cuts.

Don't be so sure about this - my dh who is a hockey player/good skater took quite a fall & hit his head on the ice which drew blood. The combination of the ice not being in the greatest condition & the movement of the ship can easily make the best skaters fall (including the performers during the shows)

Good point about the ship movement--never thought of that. Maybe helmets should be required, too?;)

I skated on the Mariner a couple of weeks ago. The ice was terrible and some patrons were noobs. I think long pants will protect you from the flying blades of others; it's not really about protecting you from yourself (especially if you're good :-))

Have fun!

I skated on the Mariner a couple of weeks ago. The ice was terrible and some patrons were noobs. I think long pants will protect you from the flying blades of others; it's not really about protecting you from yourself (especially if you're good :-))

Have fun!

Long pants will hardly protect you from someone else jabbing their blade into your leg, if that is REALLY what the concern is. Playing hockey in high school I ended up with stitches in my leg from being slammed by someone else's blade and that was through layers and layers :(

Long pants will hardly protect you from someone else jabbing their blade into your leg, if that is REALLY what the concern is. Playing hockey in high school I ended up with stitches in my leg from being slammed by someone else's blade and that was through layers and layers :(

True enough, but pants will offer an amount of protection well greater than zero, especially since (at least on the Mariner) the skates where hockey skates w/o toe-picks and were quite dull.

We're just off the Navigator and they didn't require helmets, though they were available and strongly suggested for small kids. There were also knee and elbow pads.

We all had long pants and socks on and I'd bet they will turn you away without. They also have socks for sale--for $10!!!, so I'm glad we bought our own. I still got blisters, though from pressure on my ankles from the skates.

Believe me, there were lots of falls at least partly caused by inexperienced, out of control skaters--my own grandsons probably caused a couple. Also, the ice is not that great and a kind of strange texture and the skates were so-so. Some had toe picks, some not, you could choose.

BTW I am a very, very poor skater who hadn't skated for years, so though I didn't fall, I bet I was an annoyance to 'good' skaters--I didn't really see anyone who I'd consider 'good', though.

This was the favorite activity on the ship of our kids--how cool it was to skate on a ship in the Caribbean!--wish they'd had it more nights.

Good point about the ship movement--never thought of that. Maybe helmets should be required, too?;)

on the 1/16/11 out of bayonne at the first ice show, one of the pairs fell and the girl hit her head on the ice. they cancelled the next show. fortunately she was ok and they made it up later in the week

Archived