Here is some info on transfers Beijing-Xingang (taxi and train)

Dortmunder

Some people keep inquiring about transfers from/to Beijing and the port in Xingang. Here are some snippets that I have found in one of my files on my computer at home. I copied them from the old boards last year before the cut. I hope it is useful.

I do not have the names of the original posters and the exact dates of the posts. May they forgive me.

Take a Taxi for Beijing Embarkation

Hi, we will be on the Osaka to Beijing itinerary for Regal Princess on 10/29/02. We decided to do the transfers on our own because Princess was charging a lot. Xingang Port (Tianjin area) is really in the outskirts of Tianjin city. The port is located in the Tanggu District. I read that taxis charge about 400-600 RMB (or 50 to 70 USD) for the ride from Tianjin to Beijing. This is much cheaper than Princess' transfer cost, especially when you have 2-4 passengers per taxi. It is mostly freeway driving from Xingang Port to Beijing Downtown.

At the very worst, I mapped out how we can take the express train from Tianjin to Beijing. Actually, it is easier from Beijing to Tianjin on the train because there is a foreigner ticket office that you can purchase the train tixs from. Then, there are taxi stands at the Tianjin railway station that can take you to the Port. The train ride is only about 1 1/2 hours vs. 2 hrs. drive and the cost of a train tix is about 30-40 RMB per person.

Transfers

We were on the Regal Princess last March/April. We took the train from Beijing to Tianjin. It was a great experience. They are high speed commuter trains and are very modern with lots of room for luggage. The train takes about 90 minutes and cost about $5 per person. We then took a taxi from the train station in Tianjin to the pier for another $10.

At the end of our cruise, we hired a van at the pier to take us to our hotel in Bangkok. The cost was $100 for our group of 5 for the 90 minute drive.

Train to Beijing

I had read that there are trains running between Tianjin and the port, and we had originally planned to change trains at Tianjin and get the train all the way to the port. When we got to the main Tianjin train station, we didn't see any obvious connecting train to the port (although I admit we really didn't look too hard). There are 2 train stations in Tianjin, so it is possible that you have to connect in the other station. Basically we made a snap decision to take a taxi the rest of the way. It's quite far - the taxi probably took about 45 minutes. We didn't notice a train station near the ship, but then again it could be there.

The Tianjin train station was a bit chaotic, but I believe they do have a ticket office for foreigners. We were travelling in the other direction and there definitely was a foreigner's ticket office at the Beijing station with someone who could speak passable English. We had actually bought our train tickets the day before at a travel office in a hotel in Beijing, but that is not necessary. We were told that if you take the Beijing-Tianjin trains in the middle of the day, they are not that busy since there are fewer commuters. The train run about once every 90 minutes, so you shouldn't have any problem getting one.

I'm sure you will have a great time. This was by far the best cruise and the best trip I've ever been on. Like you, we didn't purchase any hotels, transfers, or shore excursions from Princess and it was no problem at all. I think it is a much more rewarding way of travelling than being herded around in a tour bus all the time!

If you have any more questions, feel free to e-mail me directly.

Tianjin and Mutianyu

We had lots of luggage and didn't have any problems. There were esclators in both the Beijing and Tianjin train stations, but I don't recall ever having to lug suitcases up stairs. The train was spacious with lots of room to store luggage beside our seats. As for the length of the trip, we talked to others on the ship afterward and it sounded like, even with the long taxi ride, it was still faster to take the train than to come all the way by bus from Beijing.

Yes, we did go to the Great Wall at Mutianyu. It's an incredible experience - don't miss it. We were there in late March and it wasn't busy at all - nice not to have to battle crowds. We met a university student in Beijing and he had a friend with a van which we hired for a day trip to the wall. I think it was about $50 for all 5 of us and it took about 1.5 - 2 hours to get to Mutianyu from central Beijing. This was a great way to go because we could follow our own schedule and were able to ask the driver and our university student friend lots of questions. We stopped at a supermarket near Mutianyu to pick up some snacks (this was suggested by our driver), and that in itself was a fascinating experience. You could probably ask at your hotel if they can arrange a private tour to the wall.

Take a Taxi for Beijing Embarkation

Hi, we will be on the Osaka to Beijing itinerary for Regal Princess on 10/29/02. We decided to do the transfers on our own because Princess was charging a lot. Xingang Port (Tianjin area) is really in the outskirts of Tianjin city. The port is located in the Tanggu District. I read that taxis charge about 400-600 RMB (or 50 to 70 USD) for the ride from Tianjin to Beijing. This is much cheaper than Princess' transfer cost, especially when you have 2-4 passengers per taxi. It is mostly freeway driving from Xingang Port to Beijing Downtown.

At the very worst, I mapped out how we can take the express train from Tianjin to Beijing. Actually, it is easier from Beijing to Tianjin on the train because there is a foreigner ticket office that you can purchase the train tixs from. Then, there are taxi stands at the Tianjin railway station that can take you to the Port. The train ride is only about 1 1/2 hours vs. 2 hrs. drive and the cost of a train tix is about 30-40 RMB per person.

Hi,

We are trying to get from Kyoto to Tempozan pier in April. Don't suppose you have any info on that tranfer. We are trying to not to use the Princess tranfer. i am concerned about moving from train to subway with the luggage. can find nothing on taxis or cost.

• 6 years later...

From tianjin port to center beijing, it will take about2- 2.5 hours by car. if to mutianyu section of great wall, it will need3- 3.5 hours driving.

There are 2 high ways from tianjin to beijing, old one and new one. new one will be better in traffic, but charge more toll fees.

since the port is a new one, without all the infrastructure facilities, no shopping mall, no restautant there. if you want to by a bottle of water, there is no grocery nearby, only shipping companies around.

From the port to bullet train station, you need to take a taxi , take you to tanggu railway station ( closer than tianjin station).

hope this will be helpful

have fun

only:p

Hi Dortmunder,

Thanks for going to the effort of gathering this information.

I have been researching for our forthcoming trip and I think that with the opening of the very fast train service between Tianjin and Beijing, the travel time is only about 30-35 minutes, and the trains seem to run every half hour. I think perhaps the posters you quoted may have been prior to this fast service. There are not as many trains from Tanggu, but as only 14 said, it is closer to the port.

I think the longer and more expensive part of the journey is, as you suggest, the trip by taxi from the port to the station. It certainly makes sense to share a cab where possible.

Cheers,

Sue

• 5 months later...

Hi there:

There are many questions about transportation from beijing-tianjin or Tianjin-beijing.

pls. drop me a PM mail if you have any questions, I am local beijinger and know beijing very well.

xuweiguo2 at sina dot com

cheers.

only

Archived