HIP or FANNY - Are you PACK'n?

phlydude

Do you use a Hip Pack (aka Fanny Pack) in ports?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a Hip Pack (aka Fanny Pack) in ports?

• Yes :)
    • No!!
    • Wouldn't be caught dead!
    • I might be willing to try it...

LOL, they'd need alot more than just a knife to get mine, I don't do dainty straps :D But I have heard of this happening in big cities... I always make sure I have the grand-daddy of straps :eek:

I have one, and use it occasionally, but I would NEVER put one on. I usually carry them brass knuckles style.

Hate the look on guys, especially if they're also wearing "stupid" pants.

We've had good fun talking about these when visiting the UK, as the term FANNY apparently is the term for female private parts over there.

Beth, you're not being stupid. There are people who might come up behind a woman carrying a purse, cut the strap and run off with everything. It could happen too with a fanny pack, but it's less likely. We all have our choices. ;)

I was gonna warn people too that the clasps on fanny packs can very easily be released and the pack stolen. Luggugage stores sell fanny packs with a reinforced cable through the strap, like a bike cable, so they can't be cut and I think they may be release from inside the zipped pack. I use one and so far my 13 and 16 year olds haven't refused to be seen in public with me!

Ok I don't usually wear it but doing so would be a fashion faux pau?

I consider it a personal choice. Who actually looks like a fashion maven these days? Have you SEEN some of the outfits at those awards shows?:D

I consider it a personal choice. Who actually looks like a fashion maven these days? Have you SEEN some of the outfits at those awards shows?:D

Good point...but some of them are ok :D

Even Cindy Crawford and Richard Gere could not get away with that look - and you think it would look good on me, a slightly chubby middled aged mom? They are the dumbest looking thing I've ever seen and I wouldn't let my mom wear one either (and she is 72). I'm rolling on the floor laughing thinking of my dad fanny packin. But - whatever floats your boat, I'm not that much of a control freak :D

Why would you bring your passport off the ship? A copy maybe, but your real passport? Do you think you could be late and miss the ship? I'm a newbie, but would think twice about taking my passport to the beach. Please enlighten me on what I'm missing. This will be my first cruise and I don't want to make any major mistakes. This sounds like one to me. Does anyone else take their passport on shore with them? Thanks for your patience with my dumb questions!

I will take one if shopping and doing "land" things; it keeps my hands free and is much easier to carry than a back pack or a purse. If out for long days or beach, we carry backpacks. I think that the fannies are ULTRA DORKY but I get such joy in embarrassing my teen and I am there to enjoy myself on port days--not be part of a fashion show. There are very few perks that I get but I derive joy from having my teen roll his eyes. After all, I am the dumbest person alive at the moment. I also love to wear absolutely ridiculous hats from time to time when on vacation. Again, embarrassing those teens is so much fun! Hubby just laughs at me. It is all just fun. I also have been known to put up silly door signs that have pics of the kiddo from his youth which he just thinks is crazy. He is starting to understand that his mom is just funnin' with him though.

Huh? I'm so out of the loop! I had no idea what some folks thought of fanny packs until I read this thread!

But fact is, I couldn't care less anyway. In my world they are called "belt bags" and they are a convenient and safe way to bring along a camera, identification and a method of payment. I'll continue to use mine in comfort.

Fanny packs, belt bags... Whatever you call them are ugly, ugly, ugly. Looks like you added 10lbs of fat around your middle, and it bounces as you walk... Ewww! Draws attention to that area, which I do not need. So I put my S&S card, ID and $ in a flat pouch on a lanyard around my neck, under my blouse. Then, If needed, a small convienient backpack.

I may not be at a fashion show, but I do intend to take pictures while I am out. And want to look presentable in them. After all, I am going to show them to others. They may not be as particullar as I, but if I don't like a photo. It goes in the trash. The last thing I need is a photo of me with an extra 10lbs on my gut, that makes my shirt bunch up, adding the impression of even more weight, wrinkling up the front of my blouse and pants!!!

JUST SAY NO TO FANNY PACKS!!!

Why would you bring your passport off the ship? A copy maybe, but your real passport? Do you think you could be late and miss the ship? I'm a newbie, but would think twice about taking my passport to the beach. Please enlighten me on what I'm missing. This will be my first cruise and I don't want to make any major mistakes. This sounds like one to me. Does anyone else take their passport on shore with them? Thanks for your patience with my dumb questions!
I wouldn't in the past but after reading someone's post about missing the boat in ROatan, I am taking it with me everytime.

No, I don't wear my fanny pack while cruising but that's only because DH & I mostly do water activities (snorkling, tubing, etc.) in port, so we throw our small, important stuff in one of those water wallets and take our towels, etc. in a standard backpack.

BUT I *do* use a fanny pack for our land vacations to amusement parks and such (Disney World, Busch Gardens, etc.) and while walking around the "touristy" parts of my hometown (Key West). I'm a mom of two small kids, and I have a hard enough time keeping track of everyone/everything without adding a purse to the mix. With my fanny pack, I have everything securely attached to me.

I'm amazed at how vehemently hated fanny packs seem to be! I am a young, thin, atheletic mom, and I don't think I look "ugly, ugly, ugly" at all when my fanny is around my waist!

C'mon phlydude, 'fess up! You picked "might be willing to try", but I remember seeing a picture of you on here somewhere wearing one...wasn't it the "picture of you" thread? LOL

Just had to tease you a bit there...couldn't resist :D

If anyone sees me wearing a fanny pack, check my pulse, up my meds and renew my subscription to Vogue.....I might as well just wave the white flag, put on the sweat pants and give up!

Oh no, not ever...:eek: !

I agree 100%!!!!!:cool:

I use one at theme parks and during cruises for exploring on port days. But I had read about the risk of theives, so I have a pretty large safety pin I keep pinned to the strap, then when I put it on I make sure and pin it to my shirt or belt loop (if I have a tuck-in shirt or a shirt that meets at my shorts at my waist). I think this would prevent a thief from being able to quickly cut it and run off with it. I'm not a fashionista here, although I certainly do try to look nice, keep somewhat in style, and keep myself in fairly good shape. I don't like the look of the fanny packs, but I hate trying to manage a purse or anything else on my shoulder in these instances, and my pockets can't quite accomodate everything I need. So, for me, it works out ok.

Now if you want to talk about fashion----I'm looking at these shoes called "Crocs" over on the disboards. They're so ugly, they're almost cute. I'm thinking about getting a pair because everyone is raving about the comfort of them for active people. But 1st I had to show them to my teen daughter, and she said "ok---gofor it! :)

Archived