Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

OK, just two bags. The first one is a Vera Bradley I bought in Hawaii. It is hard plastic but has some flex and I use it when I go to the pool or beach. It sits nicely at the bottom of a beach bag and if I'm using a fabric tote, it gives it some shape and it sits better....if that makes sense. I honestly do not know what the intended use of the VB bag is, maybe make up...but it's great to stick my phone and a few other necessities in that I don't want to loose at the bottom of a larger Beach tote.

The other bag is something I also found in Hawaii. I have two of them in different prints. They are waterproof bags by Dakine...a popular brand in Hawaii I think. They fold into a little pouch that is actually a pocket on the outside of the bag. This is not a new concept, but for the conscientious who want to save on space but still have choices, this is an idea to consider.

2039723420_VeraBradley.jpg.cd8e471dec39149c67b58f58734f3cdc.jpg

1774488435_bagclosed.jpg.c45216ca5d7f90857d8c15cd8fcc2d25.jpg

561169809_bagopen.jpg.3631b6263d0a5ac75a5f6f95f77fc2a4.jpg

OK, just two bags. The first one is a Vera Bradley I bought in Hawaii. It is hard plastic but has some flex and I use it when I go to the pool or beach. It sits nicely at the bottom of a beach bag and if I'm using a fabric tote, it gives it some shape and it sits better....if that makes sense. I honestly do not know what the intended use of the VB bag is, maybe make up...but it's great to stick my phone and a few other necessities in that I don't want to loose at the bottom of a larger Beach tote.

The other bag is something I also found in Hawaii. I have two of them in different prints. They are waterproof bags by Dakine...a popular brand in Hawaii I think. They fold into a little pouch that is actually a pocket on the outside of the bag. This is not a new concept, but for the conscientious who want to save on space but still have choices, this is an idea to consider.

I have a jacket that is like your bag and folds into a pocket of the jacket and I love it. It is perfect when it rains just a little or the wind is chilly on deck. It goes with me everywhere. in fact most of the time it is hanging on the outside of my handbag and noone eeven knows what it is, being how small it folds up.

I have several reusable shopping bags that are like that too. in fact, one of them folds up to a size of 2x3" and when it is unfolded it is 14x18". That also goes with me everywhere.

Personally I would never go barefoot in the security area - from what I have read - not a good idea- always wear socks (just read an article on germs in airports, planes and esp airplane bathrooms! :eek: - pretty upsetting)- or at the very least have socks on when you go thru security then take them off or change into sandals/flip flops if you must!

I always wear flip flops when I fly (unless I fly out in the winter of course) it's just easier and I never really thought about it from a germ perspective. So now I'm a little freaked out and may consider wearing shoes with socks.

My cruise is in January so I'll be semi bundled with layers and closed shoes, but I am flying out for business in 2 weeks so you all got me thinking. I went 2 weeks ago as well and the guy sitting next to me was hacking and sweating and looked very ill. I had no hand sanitizer and just tried to stay as far away as possible and not touch the arm rest near him. Despite that I ended up getting sick and still am actually. This cold is holding on tight!!!

So I guess it will be socks and sanitizer for the next trip!

I LOVE this thread...being reading for awhile, but I think this is my first time posting.

The few minutes of actually being shoeless going through security don't make much difference to me. I never wear sandals to travel because I'm always freezing (especially my feet) on the plane. In the summer, it's sneakers; in the winter, I'm all about boots.

I'd love some input on a dress I just got. I'm hoping this will look nice enough for a formal night. I'm thinking that it will be ok because it's polyester (not cotton) and has some embellishment at the neckline. Any thoughts?

1101736?wid=1000&hei=1000&op_sharpen=1

I really like this dress. Such a pretty color.

Some of you said you thought this was on the casual side for formal night. I'm a little worried now. I'm going on Celebrity and am wondering if my formal attire isn't formal enough. I've only been on Carnival and I wore cocktail dresses for formal nights and they seemed fine. There were not many who wore full length gowns. Of course, this will give me a chance to go shopping and buy some beautiful formal wear, which is something I don't usually have and will be fun, any excuse to go shopping is always welcome :)

I really like this dress. Such a pretty color.

Some of you said you thought this was on the casual side for formal night. I'm a little worried now. I'm going on Celebrity and am wondering if my formal attire isn't formal enough. I've only been on Carnival and I wore cocktail dresses for formal nights and they seemed fine. There were not many who wore full length gowns. Of course, this will give me a chance to go shopping and buy some beautiful formal wear, which is something I don't usually have and will be fun, any excuse to go shopping is always welcome :)

I think this dress is fine for formal night.

ws422: Welcome:). :)I'm always pleased to read those positive comments!

Your dress will look very nice for formal night and IMHO, is NOT too casual. The halter top has interesting detail. It's stylish and looks like it will be easy to pack.

Taking sanitizer for bare feet at the airport is such an easy thing to do...and something I never thought about! Thanks for the suggestion.

Our cottage is once again quiet! We had a wonderful week w/ family - temp was always high 80's, perfect for kids at the beach. They began departing at 8:30 AM and the last car pulled out at 4 PM. We'll see the folks from Car #1 at Rehoboth in a couple days. (Hoping to find some end-of-season sales for The Next Cruise in the shops there:cool:)

No Spreadsheet Results: I have so-o-o many clothes that didn't get worn. A couple pairs of shorts and tops were worn more than once (would NEVER happen on a cruise).

It isn't a big deal to have extra stuff at the cottage - clothes, etc. can go back and forth? - but why do it if I can easily plan.

So - I believe a spreadsheet is ALWAYS a good idea.

Some teasing went on all week when sons and DDLs saw my Rehoboth spreadsheet (4 days worth of outfits). They maintain with their busy schedules, there isn't time to plan...

I disagreed - arguing that a spreadsheet could come together easily if one day could be set aside, i.e., a Saturday.

QUESTION: If you work, do you plan outfits? Anything from a detailed spreadsheet to matching tops, bottoms & accessories.

Edited by indiana71

QUESTION: If you work, do you plan outfits? Anything from a detailed spreadsheet to matching tops, bottoms & accessories.

I work full time and live by the spreadsheet. Not only for packing, but it's essential keeping up with all that is planned for our 16 night Transatlantic cruise coming up! I'm in charge of 6 tours, plus considered the 'lead' of our group of 6, so I constantly refer to the sheet to remind myself where we need to be when. However, I don't have kids so when I come home from work, it's strictly me, hubby, and the pups.:)

I make a packing list, but it's more along the lines of capris * 2, shirts * 5, etc. At the end I throw in a necklace and a pair of earrings or two for formal night(s) and that's about it. I do pack extra and I don't plan what I'll wear each day -- I like to get up and decide what I feel like that day, and as long as it all fits into my suitcase I don't mind having a few outfits that never get worn.

It looks like the majority of CCFs plan cruising outfits - some make a detailed spreadsheet and adhere to it each day, others make a list that includes various bottoms, tops, dresses, accessories.

As long as luggage weight isn't an issue, it's nice to have a couple extra outfits "just in case":).

Even though my spreadsheet is comprehensive, a few items find their way into my suitcase. As gymbomb said, "as long as it fits in my suitcase, I don't mind having a few extra outfits...."

QUESTION: If you pack "a few extra", what are they? Complete outfits, extra bottoms, tops, shoes....?

Edited by indiana71

Except for dresses, almost everything I pack is mix and match -- neutral shorts/capris/pants and tops that will go with at least 2 if not all of the bottoms. So my "extras" are usually 1 or 2 bottoms and 2 or 3 tops beyond what I think I really need, and an extra swimsuit and flip flops which I think almost don't count because they take up so little room :)

My extras are usually entire outfits, a few xtra suits and under garments. I always take way too many shoes so this time I'm going to try and coordinate like most of you do. Of course it is usually my dress shoes that I take too many of. My outfits are usually stand alone pieces and don't necessarily go well together. Of course that is why I struggle not to go over the weight limit and have to readjust things at the airport (embarassing!!! Happened just once, on my first cruise, hopefully never again)

I'm new on the boards. Dh and I just booked a cruise on the Oasis for Sept 15th. I'm spending far too much time thinking about what I want to take to wear on the trip, and then I found this board and I don't think I'm spending enough time! :)

I hope to get some great idea's from the previous postings, but I think it'll take me a little while to read through the thread! :)

:p

I work and commute into NYC 4 days a week; I'm on the 6:00 train in the a.m. I do pick out what I am going to wear the night before but generally don't over accessorize for work. I have diamond studs that I wear every day along with a watch and gold bracelet, then whatever suit of dress/jacket I'm going to wear. I generally stick to either black, pewter or nude pumps for work.

P.S. I don't even make a packing list for cruises, LOL

For work, i plan my outfit the night before, to include the under garment essentials and hand bag as well as accessories. If I am going in early to work out, the work out outfit is also staged in the bathroom the night before so I don't have to think too hard in the morning. Mornings are tough without that first cup of coffee.

As for packing for a trip...work trips get less extra stuff...maybe an extra blouse and pair of stockings but I'm pretty much no nonsense for work. Suits, work out clothes and an after work outfit for dinner if necessary. I repeat jewelry, shoes and hand bag on work trips. Same perfume every day! Coco mademoiselle.

Vacations get more extras but not too much. I plan my outfits but allow some mix and match opportunities with tops and shoes. I always take a lot of swim suits and if I had enough I'd wear a different one every day! We love to travel and I think I get better at packing every time we go. However I have yet to wear every single thing I've taken on a trip! Well except for the a three week trip to Hawaii a couple years ago...we had to get laundry done twice!

Okay Ladies, when is the next cruise? I still have 619 days and really need someone else to go on a cruise and tell me what they are packing!

If not soon I will have to reread this thread!

Chris

Okay Ladies, when is the next cruise? I still have 619 days and really need someone else to go on a cruise and tell me what they are packing!

Chris

My next cruise is in 134 days. i haven't really thought a whole lot about what i am going to take this time because I am dieting and trying to loose another 25 lbs. So far I have lost 25 so I am glad I have a few more weeks.

Have a great week.

Chris

I cruise in 154 days. Just like TNGALOHA, I am hoping to lose 15-20 lbs before the cruise. Have lost about 12 so far. I've bought a few things like shoes and accessories, but am waiting to see where I end up landing weight wise before I buy any more clothes. I was originally at that weight, but the last couple of years I put on quite a bit, so I still have all the shorts, tops and a few cocktail dresses and am hoping I can take a lot of that with me (assuming I lose the weight). In addition I am planning on buying an evening gown and some dressier dinner outfits to add to the cruise wear collection!

I cruise in 66 days!! I think I need to pick up another swimsuit though. I have purchased enough sundresses I think. Then the most dreaded thing...packing. I absolutely HATE packing as I love options. However, I love the idea of packing all the accessories for an outfit in a baggie. Thanks to this board I got some great tips!

I have 105 days until I am sailing away on my first 10 day cruise! I have been hitting the end of summer sales and found some nice pieces to take on the cruise. I am on the hunt for flat sandals, since mine are getting a little old and worn. In November I will start figuring out the outfits and post some pictures.

Lisa

I cruise in 10 days! Already packed and ready to go! I posted pictures on this thread of a few things I was trying to decide on as I packed. I got some great feedback and it was fun to post pictures of things I was trying on. The photos gave me a really good perspective. Better than a mirror.

I packed one black cocktail dress for formal night and a grey lace skirt and 3 pair of capris for other dining evenings. I packed 14 pairs of shoes:D :eek: of which 5 are flip flops.

And how I the world do you pack a floppy beach hat? I couln't remember how I brought it home from PR. So, I just rolled it in tissue paper. I hope it makes it ok.

Edited by 01 Cobra