Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Andee: I agree that for work, when wearing a suit, pantyhose covered legs look more professional. It's what I always wore, too. But is that because that's what we've known? Since I've been retired for a couple years (as a secretary in a public school system), my opinion might not be currently in fashion.

Cruising, however, seems to have a different style sensibility. Pantyhose looks out of place IMHO.

More comments are welcome - post your opinion please!

NEXT TOPIC - While watching Good Morning America this morning, Robin Roberts is in London and a guest was Tim Gunn. He had a great quote. "There is a difference between fashion and clothes." He didn't exactly say what the difference was...a co-anchor had on a British flag printed skirt. It was made out of bunting and was safety-pinned together. He said it was "fashion".

How do you interpret what he said? I think a fashonista likes to wear "clothes" that are in fashion - but it's only my opinion...

What do you thinkicon5.gif

Edited by indiana71

Indiana71,

Holy cow... I'm halfway through putting together my packing list. What a lot of work! I've tried on all the outfits and organized my accessories.

I have quite a few days that I'm planning for: 8 shore excursions, 2 embarkations, 2 disembarkation-to-land, 9 sea days, 3 land days, 3 formal nights (+1 can be a duplicate because it's on another ship), 9 smart casual dining nights (+5 can be duplicates because they're on another ship), 2 flight travel days..

Since I have about 1/2 of the days taken care of, I'm now trying to look at the outfits that I've put together and see what kind of mix/match effort I can do to stretch the pieces so I can try to keep the weight down. Is that what you do?

Also, my DH likes to travel with a 50/50 mix of his & mine in 2 suitcases, (we have our own carry-ons), so that adds to the whole planning issue because I have to be careful with what goes in one suitcase vs the other suitcase.

:eek: I should have started this process days and days ago! Leaving on Friday, so I have to get back to it. I just wanted to send you a short note and let you know that you inspired me to do this! I'll report back and let you know how it goes for me. I told my DD that being a Fashionista was a lot of work! But, then I can say.... "oh this? I just threw this together today!"... and still look FABulous. :D

Member123: Thank you for the kind words!! You are going to be very pleased that all the hard work of planning and packing will pay off!

Yes, I have pieces of outfits that can be mixed and matched for longer cruises/vacations. You are being a good Fashionista:)!

Solving the Split the Clothes Between DH & My(Your) Suitcase Situation: It takes a little more effort but I find if both suitcases are open and packed at the same time, it's not difficult. In fact, sometimes it's easier because little items can be fit in; or if there's a larger space, a bulkier item fits well.

Thank you for posting. You WILL look FABulous on your trip and all the effort will have been done in advance:cool:;)!

Member123 : Yes! Please let us know about your cruise, if you were pleased w/ the packing process (selecting outfits to packing) and any suggestions you have for the rest of us who are still counting down days until Cruise Time!

Photos are welcome!!

Below is the LBD I wore on the last cruise (and on several others). It looks like a black strap is showing BUT I wore a strapless bra... it must be from my black evening bag - not GASP :eek: a bra strap. That would be a huge Fashionista No-No!

LESSON: When posing for a photo, be sure everything "under" is under!

The dress is from Ann Taylor and the fabric is easy to pack, the shawl - DH bought it for me years ago on a New Orleans trip. The silver shoes are from Shoe Show (a great find - I never find well-made shoes, in my size in a discount store...until these:)!)

232323232%7Ffp%3B34%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3455755267335nu0mrj

Member123 : Yes! Please let us know about your cruise, if you were pleased w/ the packing process (selecting outfits to packing) and any suggestions you have for the rest of us who are still counting down days until Cruise Time!

Photos are welcome!!

Inidana71, you are so gracious.

I am running out of steam! I still have 4 shore excursions and a few land days to figure out. I've got my important picture moments figured out... you know, like the embarkation day which is when we usually take the photos of the stateroom, balcony, etc. I now absolutely have to mix/match because I've got 9 bottoms and 14 tops and I think I've reached luggage capacity! For the first time, I think I'm going to max out my carry on weight limit (coming from Europe I'm limited to 18kg which is slightly under 40 lbs).

Well, the packing is tomorrow afternoon so I'll report back on my luggage weight. Some of those tops, literally, weigh next to nothing... you know, the super lightweight tank type tops. Some are more bulky and substantial, but I've had to consider layering... and color selection... so that's why the number might seem really high.

Anyway, I also don't want to hijack your wonderful thread! I'm not going to the Caribbean... I'm headed to the Mediterannean. Really different clothing requirements.

Oh, btw, no panty hose in sight! :D I'm going to try to pack 6 pairs of shoes: 4 dressy, 1 walking sandal, 1 dance aerobic shoe (ZUMBA!... even if I do it myself in an empty space!)... and I'm wearing my heavy duty walking shoes that are meant to walk on the cobblestones of Europe.. my Siren Sports.

Here's something that I've learned about this experience. Start early! I only have a few more hours to get it together so... off I go. I must be having fun because I'm still at it! :D

Yes, I'm all grins. I can't believe that I'm heading out for another wonderful cruise. It's my birthday celebration cruise, so I'm really excited to be going... and celebrating...

BTW, you look fabulous in your LBD. I hear you about making sure everything is tucked away for the pictures. Well, that is the joy of having the digital camera. Take the time to look at the picture so that you can pose again if you see something that isn't quite right.

Are you sure you look best in bright pastels? What is a bright pastel color? In CJW's language, I am a FIRE. In other color seasons language, I would be a Spring. My DD is an EARTH in CJW lingo, and an Autumn in other descriptions. Neither one of us looks that great in LBDs. She looks much better than I do, though.

I will return on the 25th of May, just about a week before your next cruise. I'll have to catch up on this thread then and see how your planning goes. Maybe since you just did a trip, you'll be able to use your last spreadsheet? Or do you try to make each cruise a fresh, new experience in Fashionista presentation? :eek:

.... so much work!...

Indiana71 - thanks for sharing your lovely LBD photo and for your kind comments for my daughter a few threads back - love the idea of silver shoes - I always tend to go with black shoes for a simliar dress -

I have to admit that I am guilty I bought 2 pairs of sheer, sandalfoot hose yesterday - guilty as charged - I do not feel dressed without them with some clothes although I did not wear them on our last cruise

member 123 - I pretty much follow the same routine as Indiana 71 except I do not try everything on unless I have not worn it for awhile - I work 9-5 five days a week - I would never get packed!!!the weight restrictions are certainly problematic aren't they - I wish we lived near a cruise port!!! Shoes are really an issue so I cut down to 2 dress shoes only - one black one silver - one or the other goes with everything; one black one silver slip proof sandal and I wear my heavier sneakers. When I am in the US next week I am going to try to get to a Chico's and buy a few of those sheer chiffon tops and throw them over white or black pants/tops for smart casual evenings to try and cut down on the suitcase weight issues.

Member 123: This thread might be titled "Caribbean" but it really applies to ANY cruise destination (except perhaps the Arctic Circle where only fur-lined parkas are required;)).

You are doing exactly what the rest of us want to hear about - telling about what you're taking and the process of packing it all.

My DIL gave us a luggage scale last Christmas and, even though it wasn't necessary for driving, it was interesting to weigh our luggage. None of it was overweight for our 9-Night cruise.

I have a roomful of cruise clothes and pick and choose from what is there. Since our next cruise is so close to our last, I haven't had time to buy end-of-the-season sale items. (I'm not bragging - it's taken me several years to accumulate cruise clothes. Since we don't live in a warm climate, the warm weather cruise clothes stay in the closet/drawers most of the year.)

In a week or 2, I will post pictures of the steps taken to choose outfits and the packing of all the outfits.

AND your suggestion to look at the digital photo right after it's taken is so sensible. I glance, but don't LOOK at it. I'll keep your suggestion in mind - especially for posed formal-night occasions. Thank you:))

Please post after you return!

Cancun01 - The television ad for Chico's could be for any of us planning a cruise! Have fun when you go shopping!!

Also - TJ Maxx has a great ad, saying don't be a Fashionista, be a "Max-onista". A TJ Maxx is being built in my town so in a couple months I can check it out.

Edited by indiana71

I buy a lot of clothes at Chico's and it allows me to pack very lightly because the colors are consistent and can be reliably mixed and matched within a color scheme. I take blue, khaki and black and can have a couple weeks worth of outfits out of 5 pairs of bottoms and about 10 tops. I usually go with long khaki and black pants, khaki and blue ankle pants and black capris. Mix those with long sleeve, 3/4 sleeve and short sleeve tops and a couple sweaters in the same color scheme with a couple white or ivory tanks and you're good to go! Oh, and I just got a long crinkle skirt on sale that matches with all of it too! If you shop Chico's use the coupon codes and buy off the sale page for the best deals! Includes 5% off and free shipping for members.

This has been a very fun thread and I've enjoyed keeping up with everyone's outfits! :D

Edited by 5326jan

Yes, at 4 AM, the television was on! I've been watching ever since, waiting to see "The Dress" and all the other apparel and was not disappointed! Kate was beautiful, Pippa had a lovely dress and all the hats - all so civilized.

5326jan: You have a good fashion sense! It sounds like choosing outfits and packing is close to effortless and you always look great. Thanks for sharing the info:).

This is from Cruise Critic:

Tip 8: Mix and match. If you can make your clothes do double duty, you won't be hit with excess bag fees or find yourself fighting with your spouse about who gets the last hanger in the cabin's small closet. Stick with one color theme so you can re-wear bottoms with different tops, or bring shirts that can be dressed up for dinner on one night and worn sightseeing the next. Opt for the layered look to handle differing temperatures in the various cruise ports. Change up the look of one formal outfit with different accessories (jewelry, ties, scarves), rather than bring two suits or cocktail dresses. Remember -- you will never see most of these people again (with thousands onboard, you might not see the same person again before the cruise ends!), and most won't remember if you wear the same outfit twice.

It's good advice, very sensible...BUT for me, cruise dressing is about wearing bright, happy colors so choosing one color scheme doesn't work. Admittedly, if I take black Capris or shorts, it's nice to know they could be worn twice and look totally different with other tops...

and the packing went really well. I thought I was going to have a heavy carry on, but it ended up weighing 23 lbs. So, well below the limit of 39.6 lbs coming back from Europe.

The checked baggage is weighing in at 38 lbs., so well below the 50 lbs limit there as well.

I think we could have done a bit better splitting the clothes between the two checked bags. We have to work on that system a little bit; that's for sure. I'm not sure what would happen if we ended up having one of the bags go astray.

Well, to that end we're being very conservative with our arrival time into Ft Lauderdale. The ship is leaving on Sunday at 5:00pm. We are flying from PHX to FLL, which means that we are losing some hours by going to an East Coast time zone. After looking at the flight schedule, we realized that there really wasn't a flight that would depart (on the same day) after our arrival that would allow for any misplaced luggage to get to us. Am I making myself clear? It didn't matter if we took an early flight because we wouldn't arrive in Florida and be able to put any lost baggage claim into the system before all the flights had already left the ground in PHX. So, we opted to go in today, Friday, for the Sunday embarkation (and we're taking the last flight out of the day, but it's a nonstop). We're hoping that all luggage arrives safely, and we can just spend Saturday enjoying our day in Ft Lauderdale. I understand that Ft Lauderdale is called the "Venice" of Florida, so we've checked into just seeing the sights with a water taxi and enjoying our time. Fingers crossed.

I have all my outfits planned. Even my leisure day in Florida! I've really never left home with such an impressive list of what I will be wearing at the various shore excursions, embarkation days, disembarkation days, etc. I checked the weather and analyzed the possibility of being cool/cooler/colder at the various ports, and I've planned to layer appropriately. I wouldn't mind if I didn't need some of these heavier layers, that's for sure!

I have the opposite problem in that I live in a very warm area. We were 95 degrees F yesterday. So, my big effort is to get cruise clothes that I can still wear here (the majority of them), but layer effectively so that I can be warm enough in Europe. What I usually do is wear at least 3 layers when I travel in Europe, and then when I'm home I'll just wear 1 layer, usually.

Very excited about this upcoming cruise. I will definitely let everyone know whether I feel the planning effort was worth the time that I put in... because, again, I have to say that I spent hours doing this! Right at this moment, I feel that it was all worth it because I've got some lovely accessories and some really beautiful outfits (to my way of thinking) and this is just elevating the cruise a notch for me. I've always dressed (I don't want to give the wrong impression), but I've never devoted the time to really figuring out the earrings, necklaces, bracelets, shoes, belts that would accent an outfit to its best. Really, all my accessories didn't add that much weight to the bags! So I'm kind of impressed with my effort.

I am the Queen of wearing whatever I take at least twice and sometimes three times. Keep in mind, please, that I usually take longer cruises so I'm not packing for a week. I know people say just pack for one week and then duplicate everything for the next week, but... where's the fun in that?

I have a funny story about remembering outfits (even formal ones!). We were sitting with lovely young people on our last cruise. There were 2 formal nights. This sweet young girl said that she couldn't come to the second formal night because she didn't know we were going to have 2.. and had only brought 1 dress. I told her that she should come to dinner because, frankly, people had short memories. She came. She had on a beautiful drsss! I told her that it was beautiful and... drumroll... I didn't remember it at all! And I think I'm pretty observant. I think there are just so many people, clothes... it's all about the conversation! And her dress just didn't make it into my memory bank. I tell you... when that happened... I knew for a fact that most people don't remember the details of what you wear! (except... probably... indiana71 would remember...)...

I'll be back towards the end of May. And I'll let everyone know how this worked out for me... especially since it's so new to me. Hope everyone here has wonderful days filled with great expectations and enjoyment and wonderful conversation. I'll see you soon!....

BTW, I'm a huge Chico's fan. And Cache fan. Those are my 2 go-to stores, most of the time. A little Michael Kors and Gianni Bini thrown into the mix... I'll give a full run down when I return...

Member 123: BON VOYAGE!! Enjoy every moment and please give us a report after you return.

I love that you said "this is just elevating the cruise a notch for me." That is the feeling I get, too; and when someone else is doing the cooking and cleaning for you, there's time to devote to yourself;).

Your story RE formal night is a good lesson for all of us.

Flying to a cruise port at least a day in advance is what many folks do and it's the best way to be relaxed and not worry about making connections.

Have a Wonderful Cruise!!

Being a fashionista, I watched endless hours of "The Wedding" of William and Kate...for the clothes and commentary, of course.

Were you as taken by the hats as I was?:eek:

What is the protocol of Hat Wearing? Are they (especially the fascinators) suitable for formal nights? And if they are, will we rush out to buy one (or more)?? Will airlines allow more carry-ons so we can tote hatboxes??

Aside from the headwear, there were many hits and many misses in the rest of the outfits. Kate, her mother and sister, looked Gorgeous. With an endless budget, wouldn't we all.

All in all, it was a nice respite from the bad things happening in our world.

For any of you who have been affected by the destruction in the South, my prayers go out to you.

Being a fashionista, I watched endless hours of "The Wedding" of William and Kate...for the clothes and commentary, of course.

Were you as taken by the hats as I was?:eek:

What is the protocol of Hat Wearing? Are they (especially the fascinators) suitable for formal nights? And if they are, will we rush out to buy one (or more)?? Will airlines allow more carry-ons so we can tote hatboxes??

Aside from the headwear, there were many hits and many misses in the rest of the outfits. Kate, her mother and sister, looked Gorgeous. With an endless budget, wouldn't we all.

All in all, it was a nice respite from the bad things happening in our world.

For any of you who have been affected by the destruction in the South, my prayers go out to you.

I agree with your points, it was a lovely event.

There were a lot of hits and misses dress-wise. It amply demonstrated that money does not necessarily buy taste;)

It also gave force to the statement that less is more - those dressed more simply and elegantly appeared to draw the most praise.

With regard to fascinators - there are some lovely ones out there. Some are more like hats which probably wouldn't be suitable for formal night. Some are more like hair decorations which I think would be just fine. The department store in the city near to me has a good selection, I particularly liked this one http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_58607+7790011956_-1?breadcrumb=Home%7EWomen%7EAccessories%7EHats+%26amp%3B+hairpieces

As our next cruise is not until next June, I plan to watch the sale prices carefully at the end of the wedding season and may pick some up for next year. There is plenty to choose from http://www.debenhams.com/women/accessories/hats-hairpieces

If I pick one up, I'll need to put it away carefully otherwise I expect the kitty mafia will decide it must be some kind of indoor prey that must be hunted:rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing the Debenhams link Beth. So pretty. I wish here in Canada we wore hats to weddings etc. I am hoping that they may come back into style one of these days. I wouldnt even know where to buy a decent hat here - except maybe the Jacques Vert section at the Bay Department Store. The only dressy hats that I own I bought in the uk for uk weddings.

Indiana71 How right you are that it was nice to have a good news story - we are back in the thick of it again today...with the Royal Wedding fading quickly..we also have a federal election here in Canada today -so between that and Osama not much room for anything else but everyone seemed to be happy to have good news - even those who are not fans of the Royals. You are so right that Kate, her mother and sister looked georgeous - I suppose Kate's dress will go into a museum but what do you suppose her mother will do with that 10,000 GBP outfit - its not like she would wear it again hoping no one had seen it haha -it was just a thought that I had when I saw her and Pippa driving back to their village with the hatbox clearly in the back.

lilianani: Thank you for sharing the website. I love fascinators but honestly, they are delicate and would be difficult to pack. Too bad:(. But wouldn't we all feel more feminine wearing one!

:(Cancun01: Finding real hats, nice hats, in my town is impossible, too. Before retiring (as a school secretary) the female superintendent was known for her hats and they were beautiful. We always waited anxiously to see her when she entered the office.

As a young girl, I wore a new hat for Easter - but don't recall wearing one any other time...but I also wore gloves and matching shoes and purse...

SPEAKING OF PURSES/HANDBAGS - Vera Bradley is a popular brand in my area. The prints are pretty and the handbags well made. BUT - does it matter if the pattern clashes with your outfit:confused:? I've heard differing opinions. Maybe I'm old fashioned and need to update my attitude...

lilianani: Thank you for sharing the website. I love fascinators but honestly, they are delicate and would be difficult to pack. Too bad:(. But wouldn't we all feel more feminine wearing one!

SPEAKING OF PURSES/HANDBAGS - Vera Bradley is a popular brand in my area. The prints are pretty and the handbags well made. BUT - does it matter if the pattern clashes with your outfit:confused:? I've heard differing opinions. Maybe I'm old fashioned and need to update my attitude...

I took some hair decorations that were similar to fascinators with me to the Caribbean and they survived the journey well. You're right, it does add a nice touch of feminity to an outfit.

Those Vera Bradley bags are pretty, but I would probably go for the plain ones in her range, simply because it does matter to me if the pattern clashes with the outfit. Maybe I need to move with the times, but for me the bag is part of the outfit and all should complement each other. Perhaps that's why I have a cupboard stacked with bags:o

As the process begins, I want to list in detail how it gets done. Today it all began for The Next Cruise.:cool:

Choosing Outfits - Step One:

Today I took worksheets with a heading on each one for every outfit change starting with Travel/Sailaway/First Night Dinner, At Sea days (a sheet for each), Casual dinners (a sheet for each), Formal Night, All-Day Tour, Return Travel, Misc (swimsuits & cover-ups, PJs).

Next, pull outfits together (no special order, just whatever catches my eye first). Make a note of every item from under garments to accessories.

Questions I Ask Myself: Am I wearing the same color combinations? If yes, mix up the outfits so colors vary.

Are there any shoes that can be eliminated? (This is painful for me:eek:, because I LOVE shoes). If there's a pair being worn only once, can another pair take it's place.

And last - Is there anything I need to complete any of the outfits (shoes, jewelry, appropriate under garments).

The process took me 3 hours to select 10 outfits.

Reading my notes, I realized the orange wedge sandals were being worn only once, so one outfit was changed and the pink wedge sandals get an extra wearing.

I won't have time until next week to start Step Two - Try Ons.

Meanwhile - Happy Mother's Day!:)

Indiana71-I just wanted to tell you how much I have enjoyed this thread. I am going on my first cruise next month and am currently planning my outfits. I love the idea of planning for every day and including accessories. I know this will take some time but I think it will help me to pack more efficiently. Looking forward to hearing about your outfits for your next cruise!

I put off starting this thread thinking there would be lots of negative comments i.e. "I hate to dress up", BUT the posts have been by all of you who enjoy clothes and the whole process of putting outfits together:)!

iheartbda: Brody's was one of my favorite stores, too. Indiana PA is a very small town and buying clothes is challenging. I wear petite sizes and 5.5 shoe. Not much to choose from here...My wardrobe runs the gamut price-wise. Everything from Nordstrom (in Mall of America when visiting DS & his family) to the local consignment shop to Macy's in Pittsburgh.

W

I haven't read through the whole post yet but love it! Just noticed you were from Indiana PA. My father in law grew up there and still has a brother who lives there. Small world!

LabLoverT: Thank you for the kind words:)! It's nice to know this thread is helping you to feel good in your clothes while you cruise. Once the planning is done, all that's left is to enjoy warm breezes and savor every moment of your cruise:cool:.

Stacis64: Thank you also, for the kind words. It is a small world! Indiana PA isn't a big town and doesn't offer a wide variety of shopping venues, but it's a great place to live.

Speaking of shopping venues...I DID plan my outfits for Bermuda last week...BUT a stop at the mall yielded 2 sale items (half price + a 20% off coupon!) I couldn't pass up;) - a halter dress (for dinner) and a bright pink lightweight jacket (perfect for SailAway from Baltimore or Port Liberty NJ).

I will post photos after TryOns, maybe tomorrow afternoon (more likely Friday).

The Process Has Begun! A couple photos show how it starts...

First: Possible outfits are put together, including accessories.

This is an example of a Casual Day:

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3A5%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D346243%3C282335nu0mrj

Since the form I use for preliminary planning wouldn't copy in a table format, here's a picture of them. You can see that changes are often made. (Sorry about the scribbling...)

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3A%3A%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D346243%3C284335nu0mrj

Second: TryOns begin. If the look is good, I put a checkmark on that form. If not, the process starts again (hence the scratching out and scribbling).

DH is often asked his opinion. One outfit that had never made it on a cruise was tried again. DH said "It doesn't look very Caribbean." Yes...it was removed.

Here's one that DID make it. The sundress will go to dinner the evening we're in Bermuda and the Bolero is added when we leave the ship to have a nightcap near the dock.

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3B4%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D346243%3C286335nu0mrj