Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

5326jan: I put your Perfect Carry-On Bag on my Christmas list!! And if I decide it's a Must Have before the Vegas trip, I'll order it myself;).

It's a great looking bag with Lots of pockets. What sold me was the reviewer who said she washed hers and it looked as good as new.

Thank you for the info!!

5326jan: I put your Perfect Carry-On Bag on my Christmas list!! And if I decide it's a Must Have before the Vegas trip, I'll order it myself;).

It's a great looking bag with Lots of pockets. What sold me was the reviewer who said she washed hers and it looked as good as new.

Thank you for the info!!

I haven't washed mine yet, but the fabric is water resistant so most stuff just wipes off with a damp cloth. The only thing that keeps this from being without flaw... a 9 instead of a 10... is that it doesn't have an optional shoulder strap. The two handles do go over my shoulder, but it does flop off from time to time if I'm moving fast. It would be nice to have the option of carrying it across by body. I think it would be an easy fix. I usually use the pocket that fits over my rollaboard handle, so I don't have to carry it. It's got all kinds of neat open and zipper pockets inside and out! Just wanted to give you full disclosure. :D

5326jan: I appreciate the Full Disclosure and agree heartily with your opinion RE an optional shoulder strap.

IF (no when...) I get MY bag - I'll ask my Alterations Goddess for her ideas. One time I used a brown leather belt to make a shoulder strap on a brown leather handbag. The local shoe repairman added removable rings so it could be used either way - quite ingenious!

There are several colors offered, too. Which one to choose......

Meanwhile, I'm planning clothes for the Family Vacation at our cottage. 24 of us get together in 3 cottages for a laid-back week of beach dwelling, lake fun, boating and eating - to name just a few of the activities. This is the ONLY time outfits aren't meticulously chosen. Instead, shorts, tops, jeans, a sundress or 2 are added to the stash of clothes already at the cottage.

We "girls" will have a spa afternoon followed by a lovely dinner with our 2 sons and DDLs at our club. Other than that, it's shorts and tops. No, I can't bring myself to wear "message T-shirts" or frayed jeans.

After that, we have a couple days at Rehoboth Beach - a very cool seaside town with very good restaurants....oh yeah, and fun resort-style clothing stores:cool:...I will be planning outfits for that trip!

I finally found my perfect personal carry-on. It's perfect because it has a flap that will go onto the handle of my regular carry-on, and it's big enough to hold my small purse and other necessities of long travel... dvd player, book, etc. http://www.ebags.com/product/baggallini/a-la-carte-bagg-medium-crinkle-nylon/107617?productid=1283454

Long time reader of this thread...finally jumping in because I have had this bag for at least 4 years and love it! I've used it for every trip and have used it as a regular purse on occasion. It never wears out. Mine is a khaki color....I didn't notice if that is one of the colors offered now. Since someone has said that it washes well, I'll have to give it a whirl, since it must be really yucky by now, but it certainly doesn't look dirty at all. My favorite thing about this bag is that it slips over the handle of your carryon. Baggelini's were 1st designed by flight attendants, but I'm not sure if that's who is designing them now. I love all their bags....I have several other styles also. Hmmm...might be time to buy a new one of these for my next cruise!! :rolleyes:

I want to thank everyone on this thread....especially Indiana, for helping to get us organized, so we can relax and enjoy our cruising without sweating about how, what, why, when of fashion. My next cruise is in Oct....a transatlantic! So, excited...I can't wait and have already started my excell spreadsheet!:)

I finally found my perfect personal carry-on.

i have a few similar to this, but they havent really worked for me-some are to narrow i find and i do LIKE that shoulder strap--my bags tend to get quite heavy and this works better for me; GLAD you found yours:)

lacody: Thank you for the kind words and for posting comments:). You helped me make the decision to order a baggelini!! AND...it was on sale + free shipping. I saved $22.95:cool:.

Choosing a color was the most difficult part - went with Tomato/Mango. That way, the bag is easy to spot. Neutrals are very sensible and go with everything...but being of a Caribbean mind-set, a more vibrant hue :cool:was a no-brainer.

STARFISH*4: I hear you RE a shoulder strap. It can make a big difference when carrying a heavy bag. I've never used a shoulder bag (or big crossbody purse) when traveling and don't think it will be an issue...only time and using the Baggelini will tell...

5326jan: After that, we have a couple days at Rehoboth Beach - a very cool seaside town with very good restaurants....oh yeah, and fun resort-style clothing stores:cool:...I will be planning outfits for that trip!

Glad I am keeping up with this thread. Your mention of Rehoboth Beach reminded me that DH and I had talked about doing a day trip there in August.

I'm sure I'll spot something I "NEED" :rolleyes: for my cruise/Florida/summer closet.

Glad I am keeping up with this thread. Your mention of Rehoboth Beach reminded me that DH and I had talked about doing a day trip there in August.

I'm sure I'll spot something I "NEED" :rolleyes: for my cruise/Florida/summer closet.

We've also vacationed in Rehoboth, Bethany and Ocean City.... but, IMHO, none can compare to my hometown or the Outer Banks of NC!:D

We've also vacationed in Rehoboth, Bethany and Ocean City.... but, IMHO, none can compare to my hometown or the Outer Banks of NC!:D

I grew up in MD and spent many summers at Rehoboth. DH and I also went there for vacations until moving to the NC coast (near the SC border), so we don't get there anymore. :( The restaurants are wonderful and not only do they have great little shops and boutiques, but there is a huge fashion outlet located there....shopping heaven.

Indiana...you'll love your tomato/mango Baggelini. Great price! I think I may just have to buy one. Did you order from www.ebags.com, the website that Jan gave in her original post?

lacody: Yes, I ordered from ebags. When I saw the sale + no shipping, it was a nobrainer:).

We love the restaurants and I LOVE the shops at Rehoboth - great cruise-worthy clothes to choose from:cool:...nice beach and boardwalk, too. As close to cruising as it gets!!

STARFISH*4: I hear you RE a shoulder strap. It can make a big difference when carrying a heavy bag. I've never used a shoulder bag (or big crossbody purse) when traveling and don't think it will be an issue...only time and using the Baggelini will tell...

i just re-discovered 2 personal carry-ons that i have so i might TRY either for my cruise in December.

i ALWAYS trial pack my personal carry-on no matter what...the week before i go i usually have a few i TRY out!

with the shoulder bags or cross-body your hands are free and dont have to put down a handle bag.

most of the time i take my BEST shoulder padded strap off one carry-on to use on others, but some personal type bags dont have a place to attach.

STARFISH*4: You leave nothing to chance - that's True Fashionista Style:). To practice packing a personal carry-on is a great idea! How often do we pay attention to all the details of the big pieces of luggage...and end up throwing all sorts of last-minute items in the carry-on. And when it's time to retrieve one of those important documents, meds, make-up, etc., time is wasted rooting through all the STUFF:eek:.

It's a good lesson for all of us, especially the tip about using a shoulder padded strap. That would keep the bag in place.

The cross-body I use the most is a small Dooney & Bourke purse, just big enough to hold sunglasses, a little cash, comb, lipstick and whatever travel docs are needed. It works really well on excursions.

STARFISH*4: You leave nothing to chance - that's True Fashionista Style:). To practice packing a personal carry-on is a great idea!

to many times i have gone to put something in my personal carry on that didnt fit only to put somewhere else and not be able to find, so i have to have the trial packs to make sure EVERYTHING has a PLACE--i carry alot of STUFF...and then too always have to be sure nothin is thrown in at the last minute that should be 'checked' or in the 3-1-1 bag!

in the meantime i will still be on the LOOK-OUT for my PERFECT personal carry-on--perferably in person tho--to many purchases online, catalog etc that didnt quite fit what i was looking for!

Online Purchases: Each of us could tell a story about the perfect (fill in the blank) we saw online or in a catalog - only to order the item and be disappointed...it doesn't fit, the color is wrong, I don't like the fabric...these have been some of my let-down moments.

I.E. - I ordered a very nice looking watch - it was much bigger than it appeared in the photo and it was VERY heavy:(.

Thank goodness, I've never had a problem returning something for a full refund and sometimes not having to pay shipping.

Unfortunately, in my small-town world, shopping venues and variety are very limited and online purchasing on occasion, is a good option.

STARFISH*4: There's something to be said for actually GOING to a store to shop. What a pleasure to try on clothes and be able to wear them the same day! You can put a purse on your shoulder or arm and know right away that it feels good...or not.

And shoes - what a pleasure to slip on a pair that feels good and looks good, too. Although, I must say, Zappos does a fine job of describing shoes, sending them quickly and giving free shipping (Yes, it's free to return shoes, too).

Edited by indiana71

Well, I guess I could say I have the fortune to live in a very fashion-focused citywith great designers (Montreal) and the misfortune of being too busy to shop in stoes/boutiques...:o

With two teenage boys (one a competitive swimmer and the other a competitive waterpolo player), I really don't have the time to shop and especially not the time to visit the many designer boutiques in Montreal in search of "the" designer whose designs are perfect for my body type (both its strengths and weaknesses). So, I have pretty much just worked hard to figure out the cuts that work for me and those that oh so do not and then find myself one or two "go-to" stores where I know I will always find something.

In general though, I don't shop a lot because I'd rather do other things with my time. But when I spot something online, it's great. Saves time and while it's great to try on in strore, the lighting is usually so bad in the dressing rooms that it ends up being counterproductive anyway. Today, I ordered a dress from ebay and since I am familiar with the sizing and general cut of the manufacturer, it should be a successful purchase. A few weeks back, I found a great very casual skirt at Old Navy but they only had one medium in forest green, so I ordered a teal and a black online. Voilà...3 days later...my skirts arrived...perfect fit and oh the convenience.

I think online shopping can work, but it requires that you know what works for you personally and what doesn't. I think you have to also fit standard sizing to some degree. If you tend to be bottom heavy, top heavy, or have other physical aspects that don't "fit" into most maufacturers' sizing, then online shopping is probably not going to be as fruitful.

STARFISH*4: There's something to be said for actually GOING to a store to shop. .

and SHOP and SHOP which i have been doing to much, other than THAT carry-on i dont NEED anything so i am gonna TRY to SAVE money to spend on my cruise:D

Lafleurfamily: Many fashionistas have the same issues - full schedules, busy families - BUT you know your style, what works for you. Very few of us (I would guess) are perfectly proportioned and can find garments in stores, or online, that fit without alterations.

Whether you live in a city with great shopping options or in a rural town with only a general store, a fashionista has style savvy and will look good with a walk-in closet stocked with clothes or a small closet with a couple go-to timeless outfits.:)

We spend lots of time at our close-to-the-lake cottage from April - November, but especially in July and August. It's a small town (even smaller than my hometown!) and there isn't much...okay no...opportunity to seriously shop. But once in awhile, I stop at the Salvation Army store on the way to the next town. Don't laugh! Some of my favorite cruise clothes are from thrift shops:).

The store is clean and clothes are organized by color - a really good idea. Choosing a color, the next step is to look at labels. I hit the jackpot this time! A perfectly fitting pair of black Banana Republic pants, an Ann Taylor top. All together I left with 5 pairs of shorts (3 of which go directly to the Cruise Room after laundering), the black pants and 5 tops. All for...wait for it...a total of $19.95!!

Yes, I tried on more than I bought. Some of the items didn't have sizes and I had to try them on.

95% of what's on the rack is out of style (think shoulder pads on blouses and pleated front pants), but it was a fun hour and I have no qualms about thrift-store purchases - keeping in mind that the same rules apply: the item must be fashionista-worthy.

How about the rest of you - any good bargain stories?

I wouldn't laugh at all at your thrift store bargains. I love going on the hunt at thrift and consignment stores. I just love walking away and thinking SCORE! :D

Let's see, I already shared my great buys at The Clothes Mentor that just opened, but last week me and my 2 girlfriends did a clothes swap. Why we didn't start this years ago I have no idea. I came away with great stuff...even a NWT dress that I wore while I was at The Ritz this past weekend.

Not sure if I shared my freebie Gucci with you all, but that came from the clothes recycle thread on these boards.

Last night we met a friend for dinner. He's leaving our town to take a teaching position near Phoenix AZ:cool:. I decided to invade the Cruise Closet to wear something tropical to celebrate his new environment - nothing fancy: a pair of print Capris (black w/ pink & green flowers), a pink cami and black wedge sandals. My palm tree earrings would have been overdoing it a bit, so a pair of black dangles were chosen. It's rare around here to have a chance to wear truly summer clothes, but like the rest of the country, we're having record-setting temps (103 right now:eek:).

BUT then there was this morning...I needed to do some deck cleanup before the mercury started climbing. So armed with a bucket, scrub brush and hose, I headed outside (where it was already 80!)

DH teasingly remarked about my attire not meeting Fashionista Standards...okay, so I had on a pair of olive green shorts...the kind w/ an elastic waist; an old faded gray knit top...pink socks (they are old and only wearable for occasions like this)...and tennis shoes.

And no makeup. Why bother when it would run down my face and drip off my chin???

We all have old clothes that are perfect for Dirty Jobs. ;)

Now...after the most refreshing shower ever, I must decide what to wear to our favorite outdoor bar this evening...

Edited by indiana71

My red Baggallini arrived this week! Lots of room and little compartments for "stuff". And the zippers keep little things from falling out.

It won't be put to work until our September Las Vegas trip.

And it could very well become my everyday handbag until winter when the leather Brighton gets it's turn.

My red Baggallini arrived this week! Lots of room and little compartments for "stuff". And the zippers keep little things from falling out.

It won't be put to work until our September Las Vegas trip.

And it could very well become my everyday handbag until winter when the leather Brighton gets it's turn.

I found another cute bagallini cross body bag today that will be perfect for excursions that don't require a big tote bag! It was at the mall for 49.99, but I got it from ebags for 31.99! I like to support local merchants if they're close in price, but this wasn't even in the ballpark! http://www.ebags.com/product/baggallini/bon-voyage-bagg-crinkle-nylon/107671?sourceid=adwp366602&couponid=55583734 I love all the little compartments! One pocket for each country's currency!:D

5326jan: You're too funny - but also very practical talking about all the compartments in your new Baggallini crossbody -

" One pocket for each country's currency!" I LOVE that:).

Way back in the "old days", there were two ways to shop - at whatever stores were available nearby...or ordering from the Spiegal catalog. AND when you placed an order, it was on the tear-out form that had to be mailed. Usually it took several weeks before the box appeared at the door. How Times Have Changed:eek:.

I agree with you RE supporting local merchants. They deserve our business whenever possible. But with so many web stores offering free shipping, easy returns and better prices; that's the direction we so often go.

Edited by indiana71

My latest thrift store finds are pictured below.

When I saw the Pappgallo label, it took me back many years to when that was high fashion. Many of the "better" brands began manufacturing low-cost items. Remember Bobbie Brooks, Ship N Shore and White Stag? I'm sure there are other labels that are now found in WalMart and Target...not that it's a bad thing. After all, there's more $$ to be made when appealing to the masses.

Who remembers other great labels - oh, I used to love to shop at Peck & Peck...

The shorts, Capris and tops were purchased for a total of $22.00:)!

The raspberry shorts are Northern Reflection and the blouse had the label cut out. (I ALWAYS cut out scratchy labels, too!). The blouse zips on the side for a nice fit.

The peach print shorts are Pappagallo. What I love about them is the zipper on the side - no extra bulk on my belly! AND of course, the palm trees:cool:. The top is Banana Republic.

The black print Capris are White Stag & I believe WalMart sells that brand. No matter where they came from, the fabric & construction are good quality. The top is Talbots. I didn't include the shoes in my total spending - they were a bogo at Payless!

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3C9%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D348248%3C%3A%3C%3B335nu0mrj232323232%7Ffp%3B36%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3482486965335nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3C9%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D348248%3C%3A%3C%3B335nu0mrj