Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

My latest thrift store finds are pictured below.

When I saw the Pappgallo label, it took me back many years to when that was high fashion. Many of the "better" brands began manufacturing low-cost items. Remember Bobbie Brooks, Ship N Shore and White Stag? I'm sure there are other labels that are now found in WalMart and Target...not that it's a bad thing. After all, there's more $$ to be made when appealing to the masses.

Who remembers other great labels - oh, I used to love to shop at Peck & Peck...

The shorts, Capris and tops were purchased for a total of $22.00:)!

The raspberry shorts are Northern Reflection and the blouse had the label cut out. (I ALWAYS cut out scratchy labels, too!). The blouse zips on the side for a nice fit.

The peach print shorts are Pappagallo. What I love about them is the zipper on the side - no extra bulk on my belly! AND of course, the palm trees:cool:. The top is Banana Republic.

The black print Capris are White Stag & I believe WalMart sells that brand. No matter where they came from, the fabric & construction are good quality. The top is Talbots. I didn't include the shoes in my total spending - they were a bogo at Payless!

Don't forget John Meyer and Villager!

Edited by 5326jan

I'm vaguely familiar with John Meyer...but Villager - oh my! I had lots of those and loved the look:).

Anybody else recall brands that we loved and are gone?

Revlon cosmetics are still going strong but I don't know if Fire and Ice lipstick is available. That was my mother's only choice. As soon as a tube got below half, she bought another.

I found another cute bagallini cross body bag today that will be perfect for excursions that don't require a big tote bag! It was at the mall for 49.99, but I got it from ebags for 31.99! I like to support local merchants if they're close in price, but this wasn't even in the ballpark! http://www.ebags.com/product/baggallini/bon-voyage-bagg-crinkle-nylon/107671?sourceid=adwp366602&couponid=55583734 I love all the little compartments! One pocket for each country's currency!:D

Jan, I hope you are more organized than I!! I have that purse and there are so many compartments that I could never find anything. I tried to keep certain things in the same compartment all the time, but that didn't last long. I would need something and would go crazy unzipping until I could find what I needed. If you have a system, let me know, because other than that....it's a great purse. What color did you get?

Indiana....I'm glad you posted about getting your red Baggallini. Let us know how you like it after you've put it to work.

Of course, when wearing the John Meyer and Villager outfits, with Pappagallo shoes you simply had to wear Shalimar Perfume! And.... a monogrammed sweater!:p

Lacody, Yes, I am pretty organized. That's why I like the bagallini....it certainly isn't because they're stylish!;) I put my glasses/sunglasses, mints, etc in the main compartment. The keys/keycard in the outer pocket, my cell phone in the slip pocket on the back and all the things I think I need, but never use (bandaids, pen, calendar, in the section that's the most difficult to get into. There are slots for credit cards, money, etc which I use... but I take very little cash and keep my atm card in my moneybelt when travelling. I wouldn't use this purse at home.

When you think about all the things we carry in our purse, what do we really use? Cash, a credit card, keys, glasses....yet we have everything that may possibly ever be needed in case of emergency. I even have an eyeglasses repair kit in my purse! I actually had to use it last week, so now I'll never be able to give it up!:rolleyes: I think my purse must weigh 4lbs! If anyone tries to snatch it, they'd be sorry!:o

I'm vaguely familiar with John Meyer...but Villager - oh my! I had lots of those and loved the look:).

Anybody else recall brands that we loved and are gone?

Revlon cosmetics are still going strong but I don't know if Fire and Ice lipstick is available. That was my mother's only choice. As soon as a tube got below half, she bought another.

My mom used Coty loose powder which CVS still carries!

My favorite colognes as a teen: Oh! de London, Love's Baby Soft, Muguet de Bois (though Christian Dior's Diorissimo is much better)

Favorite Brands: Young Edwardian, Mary Quant (still going strong!)

I have a brushed denim Gunne Sax maxi dress with leather lace corseted top I purchased in 1973 that I'm still hoping to get into someday--either that, or get buried in it! :rolleyes:

Remember Huckapoo shirts? Members Only Jackets? :p

dddaisy: You're bringing back more memories! Mary Quant, Members Only:eek:!

I have a yellow organdy blouse that was purchased more than 45 years ago...that STILL gets worn several times a summer! Sorry to say, there's no label...and I didn't cut it out!

Family Vacation is about to begin at our Cottage at the Lake. Since the cottage is close to home, I come here often and have been bringing clothes, etc.

The only outfits I Planned are for our Girls Day at the Spa and a Dinner (adults only).

Translates to: I have way more stuff than could possibly be worn in a week - too much to count. This must be what it's like for those folks who cruise and pack randomly at the last minute:eek:.

Since we aren't pulling luggage in an airport or on to a ship, it's not a big deal...but still, most of what is in drawers and closet will go right back home.

Maybe next year I'll take my own advice and plan each day's outfit:p!

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a VERY busy week at our cottage - entertaining 13 adults and 11 children!! Lots of fun but exhausting:):eek:!

I'm almost ashamed to admit that my best Fashionista style didn't always make an appearance during Vacation Week. My intentions were good...but there wasn't as much "prettyfying" time as I would have liked. The 2 times we went out were fine but during the day, on the beach, in 90+ degree weather; it's difficult to look fresh! The water was refreshing and playing with the grandkids made up for the cutting back on Fashionista-ing.

My 2 DDL and I had a fun spa afternoon and did a little shopping in a great little downtown store full of interesting jewelry, purses and accessories. I bought 4 purses, each for $20 or less. They're perfect for evenings. One is purple, one is beigey-gray, another is an animal print and the last coppery. Photos will be posted in a week or so.

"Girl shopping" has been one of the best experiences since our sons married their wonderful wives!

I pick out outfits/shoes/jewelry then do a quick look to see if there is anything I can eliminate. Since retirement and the fact that I am seldom out for less than 30 days now, I then look at every piece separately and make sure I can mix and match. No way could I wear the exact same outfit more than once a month.

And, amazingly I can travel with only carry ons. I carry what I need for a week and make sure it is mix and match. I survived a month in Acapulco in Jan with a small backpack and a beach bag. Not once did I wish I had something I didn't bring.

Wayfairers: I am in awe of your packing prowess:eek:! The time it takes to mix & match prior to cruising is certainly worthwhile when you fit it all in a backpack & beachbag...AND for a MONTH!!

SHOPPING: Without expectations I stopped at the mall this morning - just to see if there were any end-of-the-season sales. 20 minutes later I bought a pair of Laura Ashley silver & white flat sandals and a pair of Aerosole black flat sandals...and saved over $50!!! The Laura Ashley's were 75% off and Aerosole's 40%...and I had a coupon for an extra 20%:):). YIPPEE!! They're both VERY practical...

My packing is done for Rehoboth and I don't mind saying I'm much more comfortable since every outfit has been tried on and listed on a spreadsheet, (unlike Family Vacation when it was grab a pair of shorts and top, get done in the bathroom before the rest of the household woke up).

Edited by indiana71

dddaisy: You're bringing back more memories! Mary Quant, Members Only:eek:!

I have a yellow organdy blouse that was purchased more than 45 years ago...that STILL gets worn several times a summer! Sorry to say, there's no label...and I didn't cut it out!

The "Vermont Store" (and the catalog) carries a section of nostalgia items, and I bought a Tangee lipstick - I don't use it - just inhale that old familiar smell and it brings me back 55 years! They also carry "Evening in Paris" perfume. And as already mentioned - Villager - sigh. . . .

The "Vermont Store" (and the catalog) carries a section of nostalgia items, and I bought a Tangee lipstick - I don't use it - just inhale that old familiar smell and it brings me back 55 years! They also carry "Evening in Paris" perfume. And as already mentioned - Villager - sigh. . . .

OMG!!! I completely forgot about Tangee lipstick! How funny! Everytime I smell Cover Girl make up it takes me back too! Oh, and Noxzema was a nightly ritual!

Thank you! I select things I know I'll wear again, so it's not specifically for the cruise. But the first time I wear most of them will be on the cruise. LOL

I like to give things at least a test wear first. If I don't love wearing it, I don't bring it. Also it helps me to see if there are any

wardribe malfunctions (Some things which seem find with just a trying-on don't do well after a couple of hours)

Edited by simplelife

I like to give things at least a test wear first. If I don't love wearing it, I don't bring it. Also it helps me to see if there are any

wardribe malfunctions (Some things which seem find with just a trying-on don't do well after a couple of hours)

This is so true!!! Many items that have some spandex get stretched out pretty quickly and are uncomfortable. I hate having to pull my pants up all day because the waist has stretched too much! :eek: (Although, I do want a little stretch on a cruise!:rolleyes:)

My mother used Noxema faithfully every night and always had beautiful skin! It was (and still is) such a basic product. Nowadays, cosmetics companies try to sell us all sorts of potions that promise to remove wrinkles, give us a sunless tan and keep us looking 10 years younger!! Too bad they don't work (at least not for me...)

Vermont Store catalog is a regular in my mailbox. Has anyone been to the store? I've ordered food, clothes, bedspreads and table cloths - and never been disappointed.

Rehoboth Shopping: From 9:30 AM to 3 PM, I shopped the stores right off the boardwalk and only bought a pair of pajamas (with a Mojitos print - my favorite summer beverage:cool:!), a fun summer necklace (pink & lilac beads on silver - 2 of my go-to cruise colors), and orange bead earrings. Tried on several dresses, Capris and tops, but none of them called my name. I had a good time, got some exercise and thoroughly enjoyed the day.

Oh yeah, bought DH a very cool cruising shirt. The fabric is super soft cotton - a Tori Richard, made in Honolulu. I'm always pleased to buy American made!

And now some stay-close-to-home time until packing for Las Vegas begins...there won't be many more shopping trips - fall and winter clothes are overtaking the fun summer items:(.

Where are my jeans:eek:!!? It's been MONTHS since my legs were covered. Temp is in the low 70s and I'm wearing jeans and long sleeves. UGH!! The cooler weather signals a slow-down in Cruises Shopping. Stores are full of dark neutral, heavy fabrics...DH will no longer be holding his breath when I return from shopping:p.

We're going to see The Help today. Besides loving the book, I'm interested in the fashions and will report my observations.

"The Help" is the best movie I have EVER seen!! DH really liked it, too. The story is very close to the book and holds your attention the entire time.

I, of course, paid close attention to the clothes. Although none of the outfits are for cruising, it was interesting to see how each character was dressed. Clean lines and well-tailored all the way. Lots of bright colors, too.

Our local newspaper printed some tips from InStyle magazine that are worth passing on:

For all Cruising Fashionistas who pack neutral colors to easily mix & match - 1. Accessorize in brights

2. Know Your Stretch: the secret formula for a soft, shapely tee is 95% cotton, 5% Lycra Spandex. Jeans need at least 2% Lycra (for those who wear jeans onboard or otherwise).

3. Go hands-free for evening - A dressy bag with a chain lends a nice edge to evening wear. We've talked about evening bags here and I'm lovin' the idea!

Preparing for formal nights, I envision time to do a mask (while relaxing on the balcony), time to do a special hair conditioning treatment while luxuriating in the shower, and certainly time to exfoliate (in the shower, of course)...but it doesn't always work that way.

A good book keeps my attention during an afternoon on the pool deck, DH suggests a midday beverage at the bar OR even a 3 PM coffee break...and suddenly that mask isn't a priority.

Do you plan that way, too??? Do you spend more time or less time in front of the mirror when cruising?

The shower routine and application and removal of makeup doesn't change, but the extra 30-minute ones often don't make it into the day's activities.

Do you plan that way, too??? Do you spend more time or less time in front of the mirror when cruising?

i always plan a bit more time to get ready for our Dress Up night...do my hair and change up the make-up a bit more--so for me its more time.

my hair never is the way i want on a cruise--humidity just takes out my curl and so i do spend more time getting ready then i do at home

but i am less stressed with getting ready going FREESTYLE cos its my choice to Dress Up or Not...that makes a big difference for me.

even tho i do wear a dress every night its my choice, but there are some nights its just NOT working so i just throw on a little something more casual and can eat where ever we would like.--Love that i have that choice!

Preparing for formal nights, I envision time to do a mask (while relaxing on the balcony), time to do a special hair conditioning treatment while luxuriating in the shower, and certainly time to exfoliate (in the shower, of course)...but it doesn't always work that way.

A good book keeps my attention during an afternoon on the pool deck, DH suggests a midday beverage at the bar OR even a 3 PM coffee break...and suddenly that mask isn't a priority.

The shower routine and application and removal of makeup doesn't change, but the extra 30-minute ones often don't make it into the day's activities.

Indiana71, it is the most amazing thing! When I first started cruising, I thought that I would spend all this time doing treatments: everything from teeth whitening to facial masks! Not necessarily on formal nights, only, but basically during sea days, etc. I can't believe how social the ships are; how much fun I have either attending a ship's activity or just talking with people or just relaxing onboard at some venue... even if I'm on my balcony, I don't want to be wearing a mask and miss the opportunity of being spontaneous if my DH arrives and wants to go listen to some music or have a cocktail. So, I find myself actually almost "rushing" through some of my beauty routines and almost resenting chipped nail polish repairs (because I usually take longer than one-week cruises).

You made me laugh with an earlier post where you said that you weren't going to take a lipstick brush because it took too much time in the bathroom! I relate to that!

So, for me, I spend quite a bit of time in the week before the cruise... getting ready not only with my outfits but also taking a bit of extra time to do all the things... eyebrows, facial masks, waxing, pedi/mani.. relaxing.. because I know that my cruise will be busy, busy, busy, and more busy.

Hey guys, thought I'd jump in and join you!

Wayfairers: you are amazing! It seems you have achieved what we attempt to do each time we cruise.

The week before I leave is a flurry of mani-pedis, eye brow waxes, facials, extra exercise the whole shebang! Then, I get out a pen and paper, stand at my wardrobe and pull everything out, mix and match, see what works (down to the belt and shoes) and write it all down. Call me traditionalist, but in our household, you have at least two outfits per day: day, night including several swim wear options for beaches and/ or pool side activities. I wish that one day my wardrobe is volatile enough to go for a month without repeating the same outfit. Kudos again Wayfairers!

Member 123 and moet's sister: What a relief - I'm not the only one who gladly gives up a little self-pampering time to enjoy the onboard socializing:).

Nothing against all of you who enjoy Spa sessions while cruising (and since those time slots fill up quickly, there are a lot of you out there!)...but I, too, will make appts for a mani/pedi, eyebrow waxing, hair color, etc. a couple days before SailAway.

moet's sister: Many fashionistas are traditionalists and agree wholeheartedly with you RE at least 2 outfits per day:cool:!

BTW - I'm curious, does "moet" have anything to do with Moet Champagne (my favorite bubbly)?

We're going to a picnic today. It's a special celebration for a friend so I opened the Cruise Closet to pick an outfit. Top & bottom came from a consignment shop. Top is Gap, Capris are Liz Claiborne. (Total cost - $10). It's hard to see my earrings, but they are sea glass and I bought them while in Rehoboth Beach a couple weeks ago. The necklace and bracelet are my favorite cruise ship buy from Inch of Gold.

232323232%7Ffp%3B34%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3492724459335nu0mrj

Edited by indiana71

What a perfect cruising outfit! Hope you had fun at the picnic.

As a younger cruiser I remember being quite embarrassed to change into my dinner outfit, and would sometimes change back into our day clothes. Now, as young adults I think it is easier to appreciate this cruising tradition!

Haha ohh Moet, yes it does. I have a miniature schnauzer whose name is Moet (who will also now respond to Mo Mo =P ) and it was my mum who originally joined CC and her nickname was Moet's Mum, so I guess that makes me Moet's sister! =]