Breastpump, Milk & Cruising!!!

LostShakerofSalt

My husband and I are taking a 7 day cruise without our (then) 9 month old. I plan on still breastfeeding until he's 1. I've seen on here that some moms pump and dump and some moms are able to keep it and take it home. I know I will need to pump about 4-5 times a day to keep up my supply. I would hate to dump it, it seems like such a waste!

Any tips? I know breast milk can keep anywhere from 4-8 days refrigerated and can be frozen in one of those little hotel fridges for 2 weeks. I know the TSA has an exception for breast milk, but I will not be taking my infant with me. Does this mean I have to check the cooler? Or can I carry it on?

Thank you in advance,

Clueless Cruiser!

Congrats to you for breastfeeding!

You might also ask your question on the La Leche League forums, forums.llli.org, there is a section for moms who pump and many who have experience with handling milk when they travel.

What occurs to me is that a week's worth of milk is going to be a LOT of milk, and necessitate a very large cooler. Baby consumes, on average 24 ounces of milk in a 24 hour period, which amounts to almost 170 ounces of milk. Most moms whose work requires them to travel aim to ship back milk about every 3-4 days, if possible, or pump and dump the earlier supply.

You're not going to have a full-size refrigerator available for storage. You could store in a cooler with ice, but it would have to be a large cooler and there's going to be some variation in temp that way. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable using milk to the maximum of refrig storage (7 or 8 days) if I knew that it had been exposed to a lot of fluctuating temps, kwim?

On the other hand, you can easily tell if milk has gone bad by smelling and tasting it, so if you check it before offering it to baby, you might give it a try. I'm just not sure about the practicalities.

You are allowed to travel with breastmilk and without baby. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/formula.shtm While you should not be challenged, just be aware that that's going to be a lot more expressed milk than most TSA agents have ever seen.

Have you considered traveling with your baby? This is just my personal opinion, and I hope I don't offend you, but a baby that age is not verbal and will not understand where you have gone for a week. A breastfed baby in particular is very attached to its mom. Baby will most likely experience significant anxiety.

Instinctively, for hundreds of thousands of years, human mothers and babies spent virtually all of their time together, with baby nursing on demand and very closely emotionally attached to mom. The instinctive response to mom's extended absence would most likely be fear that she'd died. Baby isn't going to understand the concept of a vacation, that you need a "break" from mothering, or that you will return.

Just my two cents, but I'd personally postpone a vacation without baby until baby is old enough to understand "we'll be back," and would not start with a 7-day absence. I think this is particularly true for a breastfed baby, who has such a close personal attachment to mom. You'll be taking away not only his source of nutrition, but also comfort and emotional connection. (I speak as a breastfeeding mom). I absolutely do not subscribe to the widely-expressed theory that a baby "doesn't know the difference" between parents and other caretakers, especially at this age.

The cabin fridges probably won't keep it cold enough...just pump and dump....yes..it's a waste, but you'll make more! That's the really neat part about breastfeeding...you have an almost unlimited supply.

No sense risking your child getting ill from bad milk.

Either wait until baby is older to leave it, or pump and dump....saving milk on a cruise just isn't feasible!

I can't speak from experience (yet), but we'll be cruising with our 8.5mo DS in January.

My plan was to start weaning (subject to change, I may just continue BFing!) at about 6 months, and then by the time we cruise be down to 1 comfort feeding a day.

I was hoping to enjoy a beverage or two on the ship, so was planning on pumping in the morning, and storing the milk on ice in the fridge to ensure it's 'properly' chilled so DS has a supply all day when he wants it (separated unused portion, of course, we'll 'decant' his milk for him! :D) or when he spends the night with Grandma and Grandpa in their cabin and he can have 'clean' milk without alcohol.

However, that being said, to get back to your original point - I'm sure you'd just end up freezing your milk when you got home anyways - I wouldn't worry about the pumping and dumping, starving kids are not going to need your milk. :) Maybe store the last day or two if you really wanted it?

This is the response from my DW who nursed both of her sons-Either take the child with you OR stay home until he is weaned. The bond between mother and child nursing is extremely strong, and to break it for a week just so you can go on a cruise is unthinkable! There will plenty of time for cruising later on.

My husband and I are taking a 7 day cruise without our (then) 9 month old. I plan on still breastfeeding until he's 1. I've seen on here that some moms pump and dump and some moms are able to keep it and take it home. I know I will need to pump about 4-5 times a day to keep up my supply. I would hate to dump it, it seems like such a waste!

Any tips? I know breast milk can keep anywhere from 4-8 days refrigerated and can be frozen in one of those little hotel fridges for 2 weeks. I know the TSA has an exception for breast milk, but I will not be taking my infant with me. Does this mean I have to check the cooler? Or can I carry it on?

Thank you in advance,

Clueless Cruiser!

Congratulations on breast feeding for 9 months. You have given your baby an excellent start.

As one who breast fed 3 children and was a member of La Leche League, I would not recommend doing what you plan to do.

As others have said, your baby will not understand that you are suddenly gone. He/ she is very close to you and could be very upset.

Being bottle-fed for a week while you are gone may cause rejection of breast feeding when you return.

Do you really want to spend 4-5 sessions a day in your cabin, pumping? Seems to me that breast feeding would be less of a drag than doing that! And you could be uncomfortable and miserable without your baby.

I'm sorry to sound harsh, but I think you have only two choices - either wean you baby well before you go, or take your baby with you. Either you are committed to breast feeding for a year, or you are not. You can't just stop it for a week and pick it up again without some negative effects.

I would pump and dump. The mini-fridge in your room will not keep the milk at a cool enough temp. There is no where on the ship that you can freeze the milk and keep it frozen. I personally would flip out if I checked that much milk on a plane d/t the fact you don't know who's done what to it. I doubt they would let you carry that much on because it would take a large cooler bigger than a carry-on to get it on the plane.

Jeez...let the poor lady go on a trip without her child and not feel guilty. I am quite positive the child willmake it and remember it's mother and become a fine adult. I nursed 3 kids...so am coming from a nursing mom's perspective...but cut her some slack. Just as bottle fed babies do extremeley well in life too...moms who have a life beyond their child have their children become successful and adjusted too. I feel bad for this original poster...she only asked what to do with the milk....not what you think of her having this great chance to have time with her husband and help build a strong marriage! Go and have fun and remeber people will judge about anything....to make you feel better...we have 5 kids and were in Rome at the Vatican and people made comments about our family size. We laughed it off as the irony of being in a place that pr obably promotes large families( birth control issue) and someone would make fun of us WAS kind of funny....

Go have fun onyour cruise and your baby will be fine! Dump your milk, freeze it, I don't care....I just don't want people to make you feel bad.

if you are going to go without baby, i think your going to have to pump and dump like most have suggested. but please know that your supply is going to take a dive (could be a little or a lot) after pumping for just 1 week. it will pick up again once you start nursing but it could take a while.

Having nursed several children, I speak from experience and think there are some really harsh replies on this thread! I hardly think baby is going to be psychologically damaged because mom is gone for one week. This baby is not a newborn. I agree with the poster that said give mom a break!

OP - you've nursed for nine months, which I believe is longer than average. Of course you can stop for a week; you do not have to wean your baby or take it with you. That's incorrect advice. You can easily bring your milk supply back up when you get home.

Have a great cruise.

I agree with the above posters who have said to go ahead and enjoy your cruise with your hubby. You deserve it and so does you hubby. I would personally pump and dump but if you can try to get you supply up before you go by feeding you baby then 11/2 hours later pumping then switching off. If on your cruise you notice your supply dropping then pump more often. I only pumped for my youngest daughter as she was a premie and couldn't be BF for 3 months and by then it was too late. I pumped for 6 months and had a supply built up for another 6 months. I don't think a week is going to hurt your supply too much. Go and have fun, by dumping you are also able to enjoy a few adult beverages if you so choose.

I would dump most of it. Perhaps you could save the last 2 or 3 days worth. Buy or borrow a food service thermometer and check the temperature of the fridge.

Not sure this is a great idea or not but you could take 2 coolers and ask the cabin steward to refresh one with ice twice a day. I would leave the empty one out for him or her to refill and then transfer the milk myself. I wouldn't want a stranger handling it nor would I ask them move bottles/bags of milk around. If you decide to go this route consider tipping him or her at the beginning of the cruise to show your appreciation in addition to the tip you will give at the end.

Ignore the other posts lecturing you about leaving your baby. I stopped breastfeeding at 7.5 mos and my son didn't really care if his milk came from me or a bottle at that point. He enjoyed eating baby food at that point more than breastfeeding. I hate when you ask a specific question and people feel compelled to offer unsolicited advice.

I am with the pump and dump crew....I went on a two day business trip when my baby was 4 months old and that is what I did. I breastfed my first until she was 15 months. Guess what? I went back to work for 3 months before I was able to be home with her again full time. She was 3.5 months old when I had to go back to work using 2 bottles during the day when I was gone. When I quit my job to be home with her, she went right back to breast feeding for many months after that exclusively. We never used another bottle once I quit my job. So, I don't believe the posters who say one week is definitely going to throw the baby off. It may, it may not. All kids are different. My kiddos would never take pacifiers. My second never took a bottle even when I wanted her too. You have to know that any disruption or change can alter any baby's feeding/eating pattern breastfed or not. If you are realize that may change, that is fine. You can always still pump and give the baby your milk-that is the important thing. It will only be three more months of pumping if it comes to that.

Well first of all, I nursed all 3 of my kids (15, 13, and 3) and have been married for almost 18 years. The first was for 9 months, the second for 1 year, and my last for 2 1/2 years. I worked outside the home with all three and have vast experience pumping and traveling without the nursling for a period for up to a week. In my experience, my milk supply peaked at about 6 months. Between 9-12 months, my pumping output was much lower. This is due in part to introducing solids to the baby's diet. I stopped pumping with my last child at 13 months and kept nursing for much longer. I also took trips with DH while nursing.

I honestly do not understand the idea that the baby will somehow be traumatized by your week away. This is especially true if you work outside the home and the child is very familiar taking a bottle. If you are leaving your child with a caregiver that the child is used to, I see no problem. It will likely be harder on you than the child. You are giving your child a gift by deepening the bond with your partner. It is essential to the child's well-being to know that his/her parents are in a stable, loving relationship. A strong bond with a grandparent is also very beneficial to your child.

If I were in your shoes, I would plan on pumping and dumping for all but the last 2-3 days. I would take milk storage bags and pump directly into them for easy storage and transport. I would carry a small, collapsible cooler, and take the last few days supply home with me. Before you go away, make sure that you either have plenty of milk frozen or make sure your child will take formula (my last 2 would not). Don't be surprised if your milk supply dips towards the end of the trip. Be ready for some discomfort. A breast pump is a poor substitute for a baby.

Lastly, I encourage you to not have a set timeline for how long you nurse. I did for my first, and I regret it deeply. I feel that each nursing relationship is unique and that you and your baby should decide how long that relationship lasts, not some pre-conceived time-table.

Go and have a great time! With a little planning, this definitely can be done! GOOD LUCK!:)

I was in the hospital for over a week when my son was 8 months old. I didn't see him for 8 days, we didn't nurse for 10. I still pumped and dumped to see if we could keep up our supply. I hated throwing all that milk away. :eek:

We nursed until he was 14 months old. He didn't suffer any long term damage. He's 6 now and not emotionally scarred at all because he didn't see me for food, comfort or emotional attachment for those 8 days. Please don't let the people say you shouldn't go or make you feel like your son will have problems and you should feel guilty for leaving.

My goodness, some of you ladies are crazy! The baby will not be traumatized by mom suddenly leaving for a week. I've left my son a few times and he just turned one. And he's fine. I left him when he was 3 months old (while I was still breast feeding) and came home to the same happy, healthy baby I left. Babies are very resislient and will make it just fine. Go enjoy yourself.

As for pumping and keeping or dumping, I agree with most posters here. You will have to pump and dump for most of the trip. I know, it's so painful. I used to call it liquid gold. But the truth is it just won't keep well enough in the fridge they provide. Plus, a weeks work of milk is too much. For the first few days, pump and dump and indulge in anything you want to drink or eat! Enjoy yourself. Then 2-3 days before the end of the cruise, you can start keeping the milk in the fridge (I recommend storing in the milk storage bags they sell, bottles will take up too much room). Make sure you have a cooler (I used a insulated lunch bag) and several plastic baggies to fill with ice. Once you get to airport security, you'll have to dump the ice as it's techincally a liquid. Declare your milk to the security guard and they'll give it to a lady guard to examine (men don't like to touch that stuff, you know). Once you're through, go to a restaurant and get more ice to fill your baggies again and you shuold be good to go until you get home. I did this for 3 days supply of milk and had no problem.

Have a good time!!!!!

I personally would never travel without my kids if they were that young and still breastfeeding but that's obviously a personal choice. My son was only 2 months old when he first cruised and I remember there being another couple on board who also had a 2 month old but left him at home...I couldn't believe it...2 months seemed very young to be away from mom and dad.

I also don't think your kid will be scarred in any way. I just could never spend that much time away from such a young baby. I think pumping and dumping is the way to go. I believe you are only supposed to keep breastmilk in the fridge for 2-3 days and then either freeze it or get rid of it. Man, that would bring me to tears! I was never a good pumper so every ounce was very precious to me :) Liquid gold I always say!

It's very much a personal choice. We'll be cruising when our daughter will be 10 months old and we've elected to bring her with us. I work full time and I pump because I have to in order to maintain supply and provide milk for her at daycare - I'm actually looking forward to vacation because I won't have to pump for a whole week and I can just nurse! :D A trip without DD would require round-the-clock pumping and that would kind of suck (no pun intended).

I also have an ongoing fear of a nursing strike or a major dip in my supply - again, as a working mom I manage my supply carefully because it's not an option for me to just stay home and nurse if I can't pump enough to meet her needs. We hope to continue the nursing relationship well past a year but 9-12 months is a common age for nursing strikes and I worry that if DD didn't nurse for 5 days she might refuse to nurse when we got back (and self-wean before either of us is ready).

I doubt a baby of that age would be traumatized to be away from his/her parents, especially if that baby is regularly in the care of others (like if both parents work). Our little one loves my parents and would have a blast being with grandma and grandpa! I just don't want to risk our nursing relationship unnecessarily by leaving her behind.

So I wouldn't make this choice. However, it sounds like the OP has so let's be encouraging and provide advice rather than passing judgment. :o

The milk storage guidelines have changed in recent years; for healthy babies milk may be refrigerated for 4-8 days before feeding, freezing, or dumping. However, the fridges in the cabins are really more like coolers and I'm afraid you will need to pump and dump for most or all of the cruise. Bring a fridge thermometer to see if it can keep the milk cold enough, but I wouldn't count on it.

You'll need to make time to pump at least as often as your baby would be nursing at home. That will help maintain your supply.

Many congratulations for breastfeeding!! :) Stock up before you leave with your freezer supply, and then go enjoy time with your hubby. Pump and dump works just fine on the ship, especially when faced with the challenges of keeping the milk cold enough or transporting back on the airplane. (I know... it's like liquid gold... just stock up NOW!) And if she is starting solids, remember you can make foods mixed with your milk as a puree, then freeze in trays to use!

We follow the World Health Organization's guidelines of breastfeeding for a minimum of two years, then however long mutually desirable. When DD1 was born in 2006, I was teaching full-time and in grad school, and had to go to a conference in DC for three nights when she was almost 8 weeks old. She was definitely NOT traumatized by my absence and did just fine with bottles of my milk. I was able to freeze the milk in the hotel, and got it back through TSA in my Medela bag and collapsable cooler (about 100 oz). Will never figure out how that happened at Dulles! Now I can't get sunscreen for a melanoma survivor through security...

We did take an 8-night vacation when DD1 was 2.5 years old, and I just pumped/dumped... and enjoyed some adult beverages on that cruise. ;) She had zero issues with re-starting breastfeeding when we got back, and I eventually weaned her at 3 years so we could try for DD2. We will be doing a 14-day cruise when DD2 is 15 months, so no breastpump to carry as both kiddos will be with us.

Keep your chin up, keep nursing your sweet baby, and ignore any naysayers. The worst sickness my almost-five-year-old has ever had is fever when cutting teeth and an ear infection at daycare around 6 months. Now I am home full-time, and both kiddos are healthy as can be, which I attribute to providing mommy milk. Happy Cruising!!

Keep your chin up, keep nursing your sweet baby, and ignore any naysayers. The worst sickness my almost-five-year-old has ever had is fever when cutting teeth and an ear infection at daycare around 6 months. Now I am home full-time, and both kiddos are healthy as can be, which I attribute to providing mommy milk. Happy Cruising!!

There is nothing better than Mommas milk. I would contribute your healthy kids and not getting sick alot would be keeping them home and away from all the Day Care germs, proven studies show that.

Dr. McCoy MD.

I agree with the pump & dump!

In my experiences going the pump route...my supply did dip for a bit as the pump is just not the same. If this is a concern, you always have the option of renting a hospital grade pump.

Because I am lazy, I wouldn't want to worry about trying to keep the milk, but I certainly did hate to throw it away.

And have a great time!!

Archived