Hilo opinions

MandyMPwife

I just wanted some opinions. In Hilo, would you suggest renting a car and doing VNP ourselves or taking an excursion. I have an excursion we can book thru another tour operator (not NCL) and so it would just be my group (a group of 16) or we could just rent some minivans and do VNP and whatever else we want on our own. What would those of you who have been there suggest? Thanks!

Mandy

I've been to Volcano National Park many times and it's one of those places that you need to see from both the ground AND the air... If I only had a day there I would go through the park on the ground in the morning, and then take a helicopter tour in the afternoon. You can't really get to the lava flows or get the whole picture from the ground, but you also need to go to the park and see the crater and the lava tubes as well as the older lava flows up close.

If you can do a private excursion with just your group, that might be better than splitting up and doing separate mini vans. You don't REALLY need the guide itself but it'll be a lot more fun doing the tour all in the same vehicle. :)

And I do agree that the view from the air is very worthwhile as well.

Spleen

• 1 month later...

Archived