Baristas on the Marina

TERRIER1

For the Maiden Voyage all drinks were free but it seemed that Baristas will stay free for coffees. There are small cups of the beverages offered as well as the coffees in glass mugs. I suppose the coffees that contain liquor would cost something.

And, just how good IS the coffee? The coffee on princess is really bad!

They just changed brands from Lavazza to ILLY

We like full bodied coffee so tastes are subjective

It was not as bad as Princess....YUCK

Princess uses liquid concentrate :eek:

Lyn

We recently finished a bag of Lavazza beans from Costco and they were not very good so it is good that they switched. Although I did like the coffee onboard before, but no doubt it is better now! :)

:confused:

It is all in the brewing process

Pictures of Baristas show cookies under glass domes on the counter. Do people just take what they want without any assistance? Are there tongs?

(Yes, I'm concerned about germs being spread.)

Someone mentioned coffee with liquors, are those served at Baristas, too, or are they only available in bars? Anyone have a price list or remember the price of say, an Irish Coffee?

It is all in the brewing process 

I agree completely. We have a superautomatic espresso machine that makes great coffee, but with the Lavazza beans, not so much.

I tried Lavazza because when we first encountered this brand in Italy years ago while visiting friends, we were much agrieved that we could not get it here. The bag for sale at Costco does not specify roast or type of beans, but I bought it anyway, hoping to spark some memories. This was not to be. Even my husband who will drink anything, complained!

Mo

Let me begin by saying I'm not usually a coffee drinker, as I prefer tea in the morning. However, on board Marina's maiden voyage, I discovered my first stop in the morning was always Baristas, and it became one of my favorite places on board for a few reasons. There are several other coffee machines around the ship (Terrace Cafe, Horizons, concierge and executive lounges, to name a few), and they dispense cappucino, lattes, espresso, etc. but that coffee is just ordinary. You really need to experience Baristas to enjoy the best Marina has to offer.

First, the view from Baristas windows is a lovely first introduction to the day, looking through those warm, coffee colored sheers over the pool (to see who's out and about) and out to sea (how high are the waves, what does the sunrise look like?). Second, Giovanni, the morning barista, is a wonderful, genuine Italian gentleman with a ready smile, and it was great to have him greet me and prepare my morning cappucino without even asking after the second day. His magic "pouring cream" is dispensed generously after he has made your coffee, and his cappucinos could make me a coffee drinker again! My husband always had a cafe americano; he said the coffee was very good, and I know mine certainly was (oh, that's the third thing, by the way). Finally, other smart passengers who had discovered this little island of joy in the morning were always jovial (some before their coffee, some after a few sips), and we had some lively discussions (the fourth good thing about Baristas).

Baristas offers several coffees with alcohol, including one which includes grappa. Giovanni said grappa is what most Italian men use as an addition to their morning coffees (I guess that must be the "high test" morning brew, as grappa tastes like gasoline to me!). Yes, they are available there at Baristas. As to cost for those drinks, I can't say, since all alcohol was complimentary on the maiden voyage.

Yes there are biscotti & what looked like lemon and almond cookies (I didn't try them, as I was saving myself for the chocolate criossants at breakfast!) and a few other goodies under glass for people to enjoy. They are presented carefully, so contamination by dirty fingers is not a problem. In addition, there is a serving case just around the corner with fresh mini morning pastries and goodies to have with your coffee. Yes, the lovely chocolate croissants are there, but again I was saving myself for their full-sized cousins at breakfast (and as a result, I was becoming more full sized by the day during the cruise - but that's another story).

There are plenty of little "islands of peace" on board Marina to meet the varying needs of passengers. As I guess you can probably tell from this post, Baristas was my favorite.

Oh, and by the way, Giovanni is also the purveyor of the specialty olive oils and breads in Toscana in the evenings, another special treat available on Marina - but that's another story for another day.

Baristas sounds delightful, as does Giovanni! I just read your post to my DH, who is an "old" Italian (half) gentleman. I asked him if he was going to have a coffee with grappa for breakfast when we are on the Marina later this summer. His response? "Why not, I should have coffee with gasoline at least once while I'm on the ship." I'll have a sip of his. ;)

Oh stop it Kay!!!! I can't stand it....LOL First stop was Barista's for a cappucino, then around the corner for a sweet treat...then further along to the peaceful and luxurious library....it became my favourite part of the ship!! Well, actually I developed several favourite parts of the ship to tell the truth....:D

Wasn't that a great cruise!!!!

Thank you for all your info on Barista. I'll be sailing on my first Oceania cruise next March on the Marina.

Can I assume that the coffee, lattes, etc are at no charge. Is this correct?

Also, are there tables and chairs? I know they have the higher stools that look out over the front of the ship, but was wondering if there are also nice tables and chairs.

I'm used to Celebrity's Cova Cafe which is very nice, but you do have to pay for the coffee.

Cathy, I can't comment on whether Baristas is complimentary, or if there is a charge, because O was so generous on the maiden voyage. However, there is a small covered deck area on either side of Baristas where you can enjoy your coffee. That deck was being finished during the maiden voyage, so the chairs and tables didn't appear until near the end, but it looks to be a lovely area!

Also, are there tables and chairs? I know they have the higher stools that look out over the front of the ship, but was wondering if there are also nice tables and chairs.

I'm used to Celebrity's Cova Cafe which is very nice, but you do have to pay for the coffee.

On either side of Barristas, before you get to Oceaniaonline and Library, are small tables and chairs, but only enough room for 4-6 people each side.

Archived