Tipping and fuel surcharge - how much

thecoop

Wife and I will be on a 5 night trip from Baltimore to Bermuda (in October) and back. Are we charged 6 days for tips and fuel surcharge? If so, isn't RC double dipping since they will be charging another person for the same day we board as well as the day we disembark? Just curious.

Also how much is the suggested tipping now?

Thanks. I love RC but have not been on a ship in 3 years so I just don't remember.

Mark

We have another couple going with us who are money conscious and need to save up for this cruise and want an exact amount. You and I know they will spend more money on board and on excursions but they don't, lol.

Wife and I will be on a 5 night trip from Baltimore to Bermuda (in October) and back. Are we charged 6 days for tips and fuel surcharge? If so, isn't RC double dipping since they will be charging another person for the same day we board as well as the day we disembark? Just curious.

Thanks. I love RC but have not been on a ship in 3 years so I just don't remember.

Mark

Tips and fuel surcharge, if enacted, are charged per night not per day

Awesome, thanks so much. I thought the fuel surcharge was if fuel stayed over $65/barrel, which it has been for past year or so. If we pay for the cruise in full, they cannot retroactively charge us the fuel surcharge, after the fact. That is how it worked before. We booked our previous cruise a year in advance and paid in full when we booked it. They tried to add on the surcharge but enough people complained that it was dropped for those that had paid in full.

Awesome, thanks so much. I thought the fuel surcharge was if fuel stayed over $65/barrel, which it has been for past year or so. If we pay for the cruise in full, they cannot retroactively charge us the fuel surcharge, after the fact. That is how it worked before. We booked our previous cruise a year in advance and paid in full when we booked it. They tried to add on the surcharge but enough people complained that it was dropped for those that had paid in full.
The reason it was recinded last time was because there were not words of warning [we reserve the right...] in the contract, and the Florida AG called "foul". Those words are now in the contract, so it could well operate differently now. My GUESS [often wrong] is that they would not add if you are past Final Payment DATE, but that if added it would apply to everyone outside that date whether they had paid in full or not.

Thom

Last question, how much is the expected tip/gratuity. They will prepaty but want to give them an amount. Thanks in advance.

Effective July 1, 2011 the recommended gratuities will be $11.65pp per day broken down as follows........

$5.00pp per day for Housekeeping Staff

$3.75pp per day for Waiter

$2.15pp per day for Assistant Waiter

$0.75pp per day for Head Waiter

In regards to the fuel surcharge.........even if you have paid in full and they impose a surcharge, you will be charged. This is from the RCI FAQ...

Q:Will the price of my cruise change?

A: Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to change, whether via an increase or decrease, any published rates, including cruise rates and airfare charges, without prior notice. We reserve the right to impose on any existing booking or new bookings (whether paid in full or not) a supplement for fuel or other matters without prior notice as provided in our Passenger Ticket Contract. In addition, we reserve the right to pass through any third party imposed fuel or other surcharges, also without prior notice, The guest will remain liable for any applicable taxes, fees or surcharges that may be assessed by any governmental or quasi-governmental agencies.

Archived