What's the latest you've booked?

TryingCruising

I am still looking at a Mid-March sailing on the Pearl. My husband finally got work vacation approval, and we are currently dealing with finding reasonable airfare. That is going to make or break it. I am usually such a plan ahead person, but we've been back and forth on whether we would splurge on a vacation or not. I can't believe I may book this week with less than a month to go! What's the latest you've booked a cruise?

Booked the Pearl 3 days before sailing. Good luck with the airfare, it does kill a lot of great cruise deals.

Two years ago I booked a cruise on the Jewel on Wednesday and we sailed on Sunday. I had one day to pack for the cruise since I was leaving for a conference on Thursday that lasted until late Saturday. So I packed two suitcases, one for the conference, one for the cruise. But it was so bitter cold here in MN, I would have stayed up for 24 hrs straight to get ready for a cruise. We leave on the Pearl this weekend and booked that one last April.

Booked NCL Sky on Friday for a Monday sailing.

We booked an inside guarantee and ended up with a balcony! Too bad it was me and DD instead of me and DH! Poor DH hasn't had a balcony yet. I am trying to fix that...but I digress...

Normally, booking so close to sailing would scare the crap out of me. However, this trip was an "unemployment bucket list" cruise for me. I had been out of work for about 6 weeks and had been made an offer for a new job. I knew there wouldn't be a cruise in my near future (couldn't take time off in the new job too soon). So, my DD and I pulled the trigger on the cruise.

That is about as last-minute as I would ever get! Three days was cutting it pretty close. Plus, we drove from Ohio to Miami to get there :eek:.

My recommendation is to book right around "final Payment" time. That has always worked well for us as far as price and plenty of rooms to choose from. JMHO.

Enjoy your cruise!

Boo

I've late booked many times, over years. To make the best "use" of late booking, it can help, if you are flexable. I can block out a few weeks, then rescind the time, I don't need. I also do NOT need air, which can significantly impact any late booking options.

If you need air, and late book a cruise, be especially quick on your booking both, since you don't want one to eat up all your savings. Finally, be accepting of not going. :)

The deals can be significant, as an example, I late booked a 16 Panama Canal for $320, Bermuda for $199/299, Alaska $350/399, Caribbean $199/299/325 all 7 days, etc. (plus taxes)

Archived