Westerdam Panama Canal April 15, 2011

bcirish

HI All,

Bill and I are a definite yes for the M&G and Wine Crawl. We have volunteered our cabin as one of the stops.

I liked the idea of the Mardi Gras Beads to identify our rollcall CC friends. They look better than the cheap colored leis we have used in the past. We will meet for the sailaway at the Pool Bar that is located aft on the Lido deck 10-15 minutes after muster drill. We will have great music and a view of FtL sinking astern as we head out for our Panama Canal adventure! This should be a great chance to get acquainted.

A Cruise Critic lunch has been proposed. I would like to suggest that it be held the 2nd sea day (17 April) around noon in the MDR. This would give us a chance to become better acquainted. I will need a head count so I can let the ship DR staff know so they can reserve a section where we can sit together.

We will be staying at the Embassy Suites on the 17th street causeway. There is an Outback Steakhouse next door. About a block further down the street is a Comfort Inn & Suites Cruiseport hotel. I thought it was a Hampton Inn but I had my hubby Google the area and it was a Comfort Inn. They offer a free ride to the port. There is also a Total Wine store next to the Embassy where you can stock up on wines, bottled water, and mixers. On our last cruise people like me who bought over a case of wine were able to tape a room tag on the box and it was loaded with the luggage and made it to our room very quickly. If someone knows a better place to eat that is close by let me know. Outback works as it has a little of everything for everybody.

I hope to see you all there.

:D

Hi Kathy

glad to hear from you and thanks for all the help!! I think the mardi gras beads are a good idea (also light and easy to pack)!! I already have you signed up for M&G, and of course, the wine crawl!! I love doing the sailaway at the back, so this will be fun too.

We ate at that Outback last time we sailed from FLL; it is a great location. I'm not sure if we can make the dinner. We will be meeting up with the rest of our group that night and I don't know what time they will all be in. I'll let you know about that. Sign us up for the lunch (2)--I'll talk to all the others (there are 10 of us all together) and let you know.

Wish we were leaving next week, not 3 months!!

ML

Thanks for the information on the wine crawl. Good point about the public areas. I knew there was a corkage fee in the dining room but didn't realize that there was a corkage fee in any public area. Good thing we've got experienced people to show us newbies the ropes. :D

Hi hc

Glad to hear from you again!! Are you planning on attending any of the events? Please email me you last name and cabin number if you are, so I can add you to my list!!

send to

halcruisepc(at)gmail(dot)com

Thanks

ML

Yummy--I am thinking this may be our breakfast!! We were planning on getting up pretty early (just like Rick) and then getting out on deck. Do you know what the earliest time to order a room service breakfast is? I don't think the Lido serves until 6 am. I MUST have coffee though, so we need to work this. Does the Lido have coffee 24/7?

I hope you're right and people will start checking back in--otherwise, as with the buns, more wine for me;)

ML

You're like me. I can wait for the food......but I'm not waiting for COFFEE! If you do the hang tag for room service I think the earliest is 6am. I know some people ordered room service for the day I went to the Copper Canyon is Mexico and I think we left the ship at 4am. It would be possible to get something but I'm not sure how long it would take to get it delivered. Coffee is available 24/7 in the lido. I "think" they may have a continental breakfast out around 5:30 but don't quote me on that. My idea of a sucessful cruise is one where I don't set foot in the Lido. I don't like crowds and I find their food really bland. That said I do love highly flavored, spicy food.

You're like me. I can wait for the food......but I'm not waiting for COFFEE! If you do the hang tag for room service I think the earliest is 6am. I know some people ordered room service for the day I went to the Copper Canyon is Mexico and I think we left the ship at 4am. It would be possible to get something but I'm not sure how long it would take to get it delivered. Coffee is available 24/7 in the lido. I "think" they may have a continental breakfast out around 5:30 but don't quote me on that. My idea of a sucessful cruise is one where I don't set foot in the Lido. I don't like crowds and I find their food really bland. That said I do love highly flavored, spicy food.

Need coffee first thing and my recollection was 6 am for breakfast. maybe we'll just have room steward bring us some fruit the day before and eat that before breakfast is available. i have to eat every few hours or my hands shake--dam that nutritionist for teaching me how to eat right!! Now that I do, I have to eat to keep my body from rebelling.

I don't mind the Lido but the crowds do annoy me at times. You would love the food down here--lots of green/red chile on everything. ranges from mild to incredibly hot. Can be quite tasty if it isn't overwhelmed by how hot it is.

Use it to cook and always on eggs!!

ML

I graduated from OSU in 1986, after taking a break for a few years. So you were on the team in the early Ralph Miller years then - that must have been fun.

Just curious, when you went to Seattle what did you do on the day you were in Astoria. I'm thinking we may just stay on board and enjoy the ship. I am looking forward to the convenience of being able to drive home after the cruise (our son is scheduled to pick us up). Although more days in the Carribean sounds pretty great too.

Great pictures from your first PC cruise. I really enjoyed looking at them, thanks for sharing. We're just starting to look for excursions and stuff. I can't believe we're less than 90 days away.

My sophmore year was Ralph's first yr. at OS. We all had to learn how to play basketball when he came in. When I was there it was not "fun". Took me 2 yrs. after I got out of school to figure him out. But I have a lot of respect for him, he was one of a kind. I was not a starter but played some and I got my education paid for. We have been going to all the basketball games for 37 yrs and the last 10 yrs. to football also. (I'm Pretty tired of all the Ducks down here and their football team)

When we left San Diego in 2009 we went to the Catalina Islands and then straight up the coast to Vancouver BC, no stops. So HAL did not stop in Astoria on that cruise. We are getting off at San Diego this time since we have spent a lot of time in Vancouver BC and Seattle. Besides this will use nearly all my accrued vacation and I don't have any more I can use.

If you have been to Astoria (like us) you may just want to walk around town, but staying on the ship would be good also. Astoria is still a neat town with old style charm. Not real sure where the ship will dock. We think it will dock close to the Maritime Museum. We went to this museum many years ago and I remember it was pretty good.

If there are any ports that we are going to on this cruise, that you need more information on, we could put some specific pics on the web site it you want to see more. We did shoot over 3,500 pictures on that 2009 cruise.....thank heavens for digital! However, the 4 Mexico ports were canceled in 2009 due to the "swine" flu. We do have good information on Puerto Vallarta since we go there every 2 yrs. to our time share. It's one block away fom the cruise dock in Puerto Vallarta and we plan to spend all day by the pool.

Rick

Yeah, the ship is pretty dead at that time. When I work I usually get up at 4:45am so I hate to drag my butt out of bed on holidays:rolleyes:. This will be my 6th time to the canal and I'm looking forward to it like it was my first. I never seem to stay in the same spot. I love to wander around.

We spent a lot of time at the front of the ship overlooking the bow on the Verandah deck on our 2009 cruise. It worked real well and we had a good vantage point to view the canal from there. But this time I'm going to do like you do and walk around. I heard there is a chance to reach out and touch the concrete walls of the lock at a certain point. Have you done that? The locks are fascinating aren't they? (I guess I don't need to ask you do I? lol)

Rick

Lorekauf: I agree with you regarding the Lido-a successful cruise is one where I do not have to set foot there. I have had bad experiences with the Lido. People seem to act differently there. I much prefer the main dining room, or room service options even if limited for the time of day you are ordering.

I am looking forward to going through the canal. I do not know what kind of view we will have from our balcony/deck, but we are thinking about having the cabin "open" for anyone who would want to stop by. We will organize that more later, probably once we are on the ship and we see exactly what we have to work with.

In the meantime, excitment builds as everyone posts their comments, old photos, plans, etc.

Cheers All,

George

We spent a lot of time at the front of the ship overlooking the bow on the Verandah deck on our 2009 cruise. It worked real well and we had a good vantage point to view the canal from there. But this time I'm going to do like you do and walk around. I heard there is a chance to reach out and touch the concrete walls of the lock at a certain point. Have you done that? The locks are fascinating aren't they? (I guess I don't need to ask you do I? lol)

Rick

I've never touched the walls but I should do that.

Lorekauf: I agree with you regarding the Lido-a successful cruise is one where I do not have to set foot there. I have had bad experiences with the Lido. People seem to act differently there. I much prefer the main dining room, or room service options even if limited for the time of day you are ordering.

I am looking forward to going through the canal. I do not know what kind of view we will have from our balcony/deck, but we are thinking about having the cabin "open" for anyone who would want to stop by. We will organize that more later, probably once we are on the ship and we see exactly what we have to work with.

In the meantime, excitment builds as everyone posts their comments, old photos, plans, etc.

Cheers All,

George

I'm happy to hear there is someone else that shares my opinion about the Lido. When I've mentioned it before people can't believe it. It's just not my thing.

I have read you can do this and was looking forward to this part. And I think this may be the last year for this, since they are widening/expanding the canal--anyone know?

I'm happy to hear there is someone else that shares my opinion about the Lido. When I've mentioned it before people can't believe it. It's just not my thing.

Ok, there goes my plan to gift you and George a meal in the Lido:D:)!! I can certainly understand not wanting to deal with it but it is convenient and if you can fight through the crowds and find a nice spot to sit, it can be quite nice. i think we did this last time in Alaska when we had a late lunch.

And I agree with George--something happens to people when they breathe the air up there or something. They do behave differently--must be the sight of all that food??

ML

I have read you can do this and was looking forward to this part. And I think this may be the last year for this, since they are widening/expanding the canal--anyone know?

Ok, there goes my plan to gift you and George a meal in the Lido:D:)!! I can certainly understand not wanting to deal with it but it is convenient and if you can fight through the crowds and find a nice spot to sit, it can be quite nice. i think we did this last time in Alaska when we had a late lunch.

And I agree with George--something happens to people when they breathe the air up there or something. They do behave differently--must be the sight of all that food??

ML

PS: The PBS show is on tonight for us!!

Hi Kathy. Sign us up for the lunch (2) We'd love to try to get together for dinner the night of 14 Apr. We're staying at the Hampton on 12 Ave, which doesn't sound that far away but I'm sure we can get over to join you and we also want to pick up some wine and goodies for the ship. If you can let us know what time you want to have dinner we'll meet.

Allan & Marlane:D:D

Yes, you can touch the sides of the canal while the ship is in the locks. As the ship is lowered to the next level the promenade deck is just below ground level so it is easy to reach over and touch the sides of the canal. So we will be going in at Gatun, so when we first pull in you should be able to touch the canal sides. Then the ship will rise. In Miraflores you will have to wait until the ship has been lowered to the next level before you can touch the sides. I did do this on our last passage thru the locks. The new locks will be ready I believe in 2014. If you Google earth Panama you can see the new locks taking shape.

Yes, you can touch the sides of the canal while the ship is in the locks. As the ship is lowered to the next level the promenade deck is just below ground level so it is easy to reach over and touch the sides of the canal. So we will be going in at Gatun, so when we first pull in you should be able to touch the canal sides. Then the ship will rise. In Miraflores you will have to wait until the ship has been lowered to the next level before you can touch the sides. I did do this on our last passage thru the locks. The new locks will be ready I believe in 2014. If you Google earth Panama you can see the new locks taking shape.

Thanks for confirming my plan will work!! I am going to google the canal right now.

ML

Now I know why I've never done it:o. I'm usually at the front or back of the ship at the time we go through the locks on the Gatun side. Thanks for the info.

No whiners: Sorry about being remiss in responding for Pat and myself. We will make it to the meet and greet if one get's firmed up. We aren't much for the wine crawl, Pat's meds don't always interact with margaritas and such, but we may joint and bring our own tea or whatever if it doesn't put a crimp in anyone else's fun. Only about 80 days to go so we are already putting together our lists and getting the arrangements for someone to watch old dog finalized. She will be 16 on Valentine's day and is deaf so she needs a little special care. But I believe she really enjoys the vacation from us and loves having the various grandkids come by and feed, walk, etc. Can't wait to get to Florida and get on the Westerdam and see as many of you as we can while on board. I wonder if the royal wedding will be broadcast on board. My granddaughter has a friend that lives in Canada and can't understand how we can miss the wedding. Maybe because my invitation got lost in the mail and we booked this cruise months before they decided to get married. Inpulsive kids. Later Debbie

Se4deb; I would hope you come to the wine crawl with whatever you like to drink, tea, water, soft beverages. IT is about socializing and getting to know people. I love sharing tea, and perhaps we can sit down over a cuppa at some point in the cruise. I did not even think about the Royal Wedding.....I would enjoy seeing it. I hope there is some coverage available. Perhaps we can at least gossip about it on the cruise.

Cheers,

George

By all means bring to drink what ever your choice of beverage is. We enjoy the Dutch High Tea that HAL ships have each after noon in the Crows Nest especilly on sea days, great place to spent an hour or so and watch the world go by.

We also have enjoyed the high teas. It might just be the little goodies that get to me but it is always fun to sit and watch the sea roll by. Put us down for the wine crawl and we will socialize until the cows come home. Maybe that should be until the crows come home considering the setting. Thanks to all Debbie

No whiners: Sorry about being remiss in responding for Pat and myself. We will make it to the meet and greet if one get's firmed up. We aren't much for the wine crawl, Pat's meds don't always interact with margaritas and such, but we may joint and bring our own tea or whatever if it doesn't put a crimp in anyone else's fun. Only about 80 days to go so we are already putting together our lists and getting the arrangements for someone to watch old dog finalized. She will be 16 on Valentine's day and is deaf so she needs a little special care. But I believe she really enjoys the vacation from us and loves having the various grandkids come by and feed, walk, etc. Can't wait to get to Florida and get on the Westerdam and see as many of you as we can while on board. I wonder if the royal wedding will be broadcast on board. My granddaughter has a friend that lives in Canada and can't understand how we can miss the wedding. Maybe because my invitation got lost in the mail and we booked this cruise months before they decided to get married. Inpulsive kids. Later Debbie

Se4deb; I would hope you come to the wine crawl with whatever you like to drink, tea, water, soft beverages. IT is about socializing and getting to know people. I love sharing tea, and perhaps we can sit down over a cuppa at some point in the cruise. I did not even think about the Royal Wedding.....I would enjoy seeing it. I hope there is some coverage available. Perhaps we can at least gossip about it on the cruise.

Cheers,

George

By all means bring to drink what ever your choice of beverage is. We enjoy the Dutch High Tea that HAL ships have each after noon in the Crows Nest especilly on sea days, great place to spent an hour or so and watch the world go by.

Hi Debbie

Just wanted to add my voice to the others--please come! Wine is not a pre-requisite, just an excuse!! we will even grant you a pass on the snack. George and Allan are exactly right--it is about socializing and tea is as good a way as any.

FYI, the M&G is pretty well set. First sea day (4/16) in PH suite at 4 pm. all that is required is your presence. your call. Please send me an email at

halcruisepc@gmail.com

with your last name, and your cabin number, if known.

I will sign you up for wine crawl, tentative on the M&G--please confirm this when you get a chance!

Thanks

ML

To All: thanks for your graciousness. The lame one and I talked about it and we will attend all the events except the pre-cruise dinner. We will be in Orlando and driving down to Miami in the morning. Need to see some of that country. Pat is so excited he can hardly contain himself. He now wants to touch the sides of the canal. So there is another picture op. I just had surgery on my knee to repair the miniscus (sp) tear. I have every hope that it will be as good as new in just a few weeks. Once again Thanks. Debbie

To All: thanks for your graciousness. The lame one and I talked about it and we will attend all the events except the pre-cruise dinner. We will be in Orlando and driving down to Miami in the morning. Need to see some of that country. Pat is so excited he can hardly contain himself. He now wants to touch the sides of the canal. So there is another picture op. I just had surgery on my knee to repair the miniscus (sp) tear. I have every hope that it will be as good as new in just a few weeks. Once again Thanks. Debbie

Hooray!! glad you talked it over and decided to join us. We are driving down from Orlando the day before, so in a similar 'boat"!!

I will add you to all the activities, except the dinner.

keep checking here so if things change, you will know.

ML

Archived