Westerdam Panama Canal April 15, 2011

bcirish

Hi Norman and Ann,

If you are going to be in FtL on the evening of April 14th I am taking names of anyone who would like to meet for a pre-cruise dinner at the Outback. We have 3 couples so far for dinner. The Sailaway Party is scheduled 15 minutes after the Muster drill completes. We are meeting at the Pool Bar on the Lido deck. Wear some Mardi Gras beads to ID yourself as a CC poster. I am also organizing a CC lunch on the second at sea day at noon. This will allow us to get further acquainted after initial intros at the Meet and Greet the day before.

I have an aft balcony cabin on this trip and had been kicking around the idea of blowing some soap bubbles off the balcony as we made our way to the canal. I just may visit Walmart and pick up some solution and a ring to blow bubbles.

I am so tired of winter and snow and ice. We escaped the last storm on Monday. I sure hope it warms up as advertised this weekend. I can't wait for this cruise so we can head out for warmer waters. See everyone soon!

Hi Kathy

I don't think Norman and Ann will be in FLL early enough to do this, but he can answer himself. I also told him about the beads but i think his bubble gun will help us ID him ;):D!

We still don't know what our family is doing that night, so can't make any plans. They have to decide something soon!!

Glad the storm missed you. We haven't gotten much snow but it has been so cold here the past 2 weeks, I've only left the house twice. Next week we are finally going to back to normal--almost 60 during the day--hooray!!

Just booked my trip to Las Vegas (to teach a class but there will be time to have some fun too). I'm a little worried about the hotel they picked--I hope the reviews i read aren't true. The class participants won't be happy...

ML

HI ML,

What hotel are you booked into? My husband was booked into the Stratoshere and he said that one was a dump. He only stayed one night and then checked out to stay elsewhere on his business trip. Hope it isn't as bad as the reviews say.

Lorene

You lucky dog--wish i was going too!! Have a great time (and have a glass of wine for me:D!! We had to let 2 guys go the last 10 months or so i was working--had a bad effect on everyone.

Enjoy the cruise, warm weather, and hope you have no issues getting out of town!

ML

I will have a glass for you...maybe even more. I'll have those 3 bottles to drink after all:D;). I think I should be ok to get out of Calgary. The conditions have improved a lot. I'd love to hear about the hotel you are at in Vegas as well. I'm very familiar with it so I may be able to let you know what it's like.

HI ML,

What hotel are you booked into? My husband was booked into the Stratoshere and he said that one was a dump. He only stayed one night and then checked out to stay elsewhere on his business trip. Hope it isn't as bad as the reviews say.

I wouldn't recommend the Stratosphere (I agree it is a dump), but it is a great place to get clam chowder or a cheap drink!! We like to walk the strip and this is a good place to start/stop. We also used to go for their craps lessons. We know how to play, but if you take the lesson, you can gamble for $2 until you leave the table, no matter what they raise the table bets to!! And, they used to have 'crapless craps', so they treated 2's and 3's as a point!!

I will have a glass for you...maybe even more. I'll have those 3 bottles to drink after all:D;). I think I should be ok to get out of Calgary. The conditions have improved a lot. I'd love to hear about the hotel you are at in Vegas as well. I'm very familiar with it so I may be able to let you know what it's like.

We will be at the Westin Causuarina (I think this is how you spell it!), up on Flamingo behind Bally's. Gets what I would call mixed reviews--definitely not the typical Westin because they took over a building from another operation. It will be interesting to see how the class evaluations suffer due to this. So many good places in Las Vegas for a class, i don't know why they picked this place. if you have any info on this place, send it on!

Doug and I go to LV all the time and lately have been staying downtown at Main Street Station--prices are good and they have that nice microbrewery/restaurant!!

ML

The Cruise Duo are proposing our first group tour in CORINTO, NICARAGUA.

We are renting a mini van (limited to 10 persons, but if numbers are greater will endeavor to get larger vehicle) which will include a City Tour of Leon & The San Jacinto Hotsprings.

We will leave at 10:30am from the port and will be in Leon around 11:00 – 11:15am. From there, we will do a tour that will take from 2 – 2.5 hours. We will then provide 45 minutes for lunch (own expense) followed by a visit to the HotSprings!

We will return back to the port by 5:00pm (allowing time to last minute shop, before re-boarding the ship by 5.30pm for our departure at 6.00pm). TOTAL TOUR TIME: 6.5 hours.

Cost of the Tour is US$50.00 per person and will include the following:

- Private transportation for the group from and to the port of Corinto in an air conditioned comfortable bus.

- Entrance fees.

- Visit to the La Asuncion Cathedral in Leon (climb to the top which affords extraordinary panoramic views of the city & mountains), Myths & Legends museum, Revolution museum and San Jacinto Hot Springs (this spectacular geothermal area is dotted with small craters of mud pots and hot springs).

- English speaking tour guide

- Bottled water in the bus.

Lunch is not included but our guide can definitely recommend a nice typical place.

If you would like to join the tour, then please e-mail us and include your full names, cabin number and contact number. We will then confirm with you that you are part of the Cruise Duo's Group Tour. Details of payment, where we will meet etc. will be explained in a follow up e-mail - before cruise date as well as on board the ship.

Please do not hesitate to ask any questions that you may have by e-mail.

We are looking at a number of other tours (incl. PEURTO QUETZAL, GUATEMALA and PUNTARENAS, COSTA RICA) and will announce them as soon as we have information, itinerary and costs!

More later.......:)

Sign us up--2 (ML and Doug)!! Sounds great!!

thanks for doing this

ML

Hi all

i gave up trying to summarize our events and who is doing what in any hi tech way, so below is a listing!!

Here is the ‘code’: sail means sailaway (4/15, 15 mins after lifeboat drill, aft pool bar), M&G is meet and greet (4/16, 4 pm, cabin 7045), lunch is the lunch in MDR (4/17 MDR, around noon), and crawl is the wine crawl (4/21, 3 pm, starting TBD, ends at 7045)

An asterisk, in your row next to an event, means you are the “host”

A + next to crawl means you have offered your cabin for the crawl

We also have a pre-cruise dinner set for Outback on 17th at 6 pm. Not listed here because it was too complex!! Kathy is all over this:):)

Mary Lynn/Doug, sail, M&G, lunch, crawl*+

Carol /John

Cindy /Jim

Jim/ Kitty M&G

Bill, Mary

George/Rand, M&G*, lunch, crawl+

Marlane/Allan M&G, crawl+

Lorene sail, M&G, lunch, crawl+

Kathy/Bill sail*, M&G, lunch*, crawl+

Pat/Bob M&G, lunch, crawl

Joyce/Rick sail,M&G,lunch, crawl

Joanne/Don

Holly/Michael M&G

Jan/Bill sail, M&G, lunch, crawl

Debbie/Pat sail, M&G, lunch, crawl

Ann /Norman sail, M&G, lunch, crawl

If I have any of this wrong, just post or email me at: halcruisepc(at)gmail(dot)com

ML

We will be at the Westin Causuarina (I think this is how you spell it!), up on Flamingo behind Bally's. Gets what I would call mixed reviews--definitely not the typical Westin because they took over a building from another operation. It will be interesting to see how the class evaluations suffer due to this. So many good places in Las Vegas for a class, i don't know why they picked this place. if you have any info on this place, send it on!

Doug and I go to LV all the time and lately have been staying downtown at Main Street Station--prices are good and they have that nice microbrewery/restaurant!!

ML

I don't know anything about the Westin or anyone that has stayed there. You'd think it would be a good hotel. The reviews on Tripadvisor seem to be positive. I hope you will enjoy it.

I don't know anything about the Westin or anyone that has stayed there. You'd think it would be a good hotel. The reviews on Tripadvisor seem to be positive. I hope you will enjoy it.

I looked at TA, yelp and a couple of other sites. Even if I throw out the best and worst ones, there are still some themes that come through. I think it will be fine for me, but my standards are pretty easy--clean room, no bugs, no mold in bathroom, and as a stretch goal, a coffepot in the room (which is remarkably hard to find in LV. When we go, we buy one and leave it when we check out!!). I just wonder what will happen when all these corporate types who spent big money to attend, show up and everything isn't perfect.

If I don't get to hear from you again, have a great time on the cruise. Soon it will be us, sitting at Las Caletas!!

ML

I looked at TA, yelp and a couple of other sites. Even if I throw out the best and worst ones, there are still some themes that come through. I think it will be fine for me, but my standards are pretty easy--clean room, no bugs, no mold in bathroom, and as a stretch goal, a coffepot in the room (which is remarkably hard to find in LV. When we go, we buy one and leave it when we check out!!). I just wonder what will happen when all these corporate types who spent big money to attend, show up and everything isn't perfect.

If I don't get to hear from you again, have a great time on the cruise. Soon it will be us, sitting at Las Caletas!!

ML

That's true. You don't usually get a coffee pot in the room.

I'm all ready to go. Got the alarm on for 5:20am. I'm sure I'll be awake before then. I can hardly wait to go to las Caletas:D. I'm just going to veg in the ports this time.

Hi all

i gave up trying to summarize our events and who is doing what in any hi tech way, so below is a listing!!

Here is the ‘code’: sail means sailaway (4/15, 15 mins after lifeboat drill, aft pool bar), M&G is meet and greet (4/16, 4 pm, cabin 7045), lunch is the lunch in MDR (4/17 MDR, around noon), and crawl is the wine crawl (4/21, 3 pm, starting TBD, ends at 7045)

An asterisk, in your row next to an event, means you are the “host”

A + next to crawl means you have offered your cabin for the crawl

We also have a pre-cruise dinner set for Outback on 17th at 6 pm. Not listed here because it was too complex!! Kathy is all over this:):)

Mary Lynn/Doug, sail, M&G, lunch, crawl*+

Carol /John

Cindy /Jim

Jim/ Kitty M&G

Bill, Mary

George/Rand, M&G*, lunch, crawl+

Marlane/Allan M&G, crawl+

Lorene sail, M&G, lunch, crawl+

Kathy/Bill sail*, M&G, lunch*, crawl+

Pat/Bob M&G, lunch, crawl

Joyce/Rick sail,M&G,lunch, crawl

Joanne/Don

Holly/Michael M&G

Jan/Bill sail, M&G, lunch, crawl

Debbie/Pat sail, M&G, lunch, crawl

Ann /Norman sail, M&G, lunch, crawl

If I have any of this wrong, just post or email me at: halcruisepc(at)gmail(dot)com

ML

Hi thanks again for doing all the leg work and organizing all this. Put us down also for the sail away and the lunch. We will also join Kathy for the dinner the night of 14 Apr.

Allan & Marlane:D:D

We currently have 8 of us booked on this tour. We are looking for 4 more to make a total of 12! It will be fun-filled day and look forward to spending it with 'new' found friends!

If anyone is interested, then just read the above post and e-mail us!

I am hoping to have a few more tours in PEURTO QUETZAL, GUATEMALA and PUNTARENAS, COSTA RICA (but unfortunately the operators in that part of the world tend not to answer their e-mails the first time around - so we have sent a reminder)!

Finally, we are looking at possibly renting a car in Astoria, OR, Victoria, BC and Vancouver, BC. Anyone interested in joining us (no itinerary has been planned, but we will free to go where we like), then also e-mail us and we can decide what to do and how big a vehicle to get (max 6).

More later.....:)

Hi Norm'n-

I have 2 more people who are interested--Jim and Kitty! I will send a note to you via email with their info!!

ML

It will be 8.5 hrs starting at 8 a.m (we arrive at 7.00 am)

S/N

I was just looking at the itinerary and it says we get to port at 8 am (??). I'm sure the tour operator will wait but am wondering what happens if we start late and run a bit behind? My guess is we would head back with enough time to make the ship? I don't know anything about traffic flow/safety there but presumably they will leave enough time so we don't have to rush back?

Not worried just wondering what the 'backup' plan might be!

Thanks

ML

My husaband and I, along with two friends, will be cruising on the Westerdam for the Panama Canal April 15-May 1st. We have lined up a local tour from the ship at Puerto Quetzal into Leon with Julio Tours. He has come highly recommend by some TripAdvisor folks I have e-mailed. To cut the cost down to we need about 6 to 8 more to make it $40 per person for tour. Anyone interested? Has anyone else used julio before with information?

My husaband and I, along with two friends, will be cruising on the Westerdam for the Panama Canal April 15-May 1st. We have lined up a local tour from the ship at Puerto Quetzal into Leon with Julio Tours. He has come highly recommend by some TripAdvisor folks I have e-mailed. To cut the cost down to we need about 6 to 8 more to make it $40 per person for tour. Anyone interested? Has anyone else used julio before with information?

Hi ET

We do have an active roll call for this cruise and have already set up several activities for on board. Please check the roll call. We also have members setting up some excursions.

See you onboard (in about 2 months!!)

Mary Lynn

(roll call coordinator)

I am wondering if you have the towns mixed up from Puerto Quezal? I think the town that goes with this port is Antigua.

The port that goes with Leon is Corinto, Nicaragua.

Do join us on the Panama Cruise Roll Call Thread.

Hi Allan and Marlane

Can you tell us which ones you booked--it would be good to know what everyone is thinking of doing?

Thanks

ML

We are doing the following. Puntarenas Tropical Train Ride & Exotic Mangrove, Puerto Quetzal Country Drive & Coffe Plantation, Puerto Chiapas Izapa Ruins & Chocolate Discovery, Huatulco Mexico Five Bays Catamaran, Puerto Vallarta Catamaran Beach & Snorkel, Cabo San Lucas Snorkel & Sail to Sanata Maria Cove and Astoria Seafood & Wine. We might look at other tours once we get on board.

We are doing the following. Puntarenas Tropical Train Ride & Exotic Mangrove, Puerto Quetzal Country Drive & Coffe Plantation, Puerto Chiapas Izapa Ruins & Chocolate Discovery, Huatulco Mexico Five Bays Catamaran, Puerto Vallarta Catamaran Beach & Snorkel, Cabo San Lucas Snorkel & Sail to Sanata Maria Cove and Astoria Seafood & Wine. We might look at other tours once we get on board.

A&M

Very nice selections--it was so hard to choose from the selections. Looks like we will be with you on 5 Bays (along with our friends Kitty and Jim). We cancelled the HAL Puntarenas to hang with Norman and Ann. Seemed like we would get to see more that way!!

It's less than 2 months for us, since we are going to Orlando for a few days before the cruise. I can't wait but I have a lot to do before we go...

ML

posting to get this back on first page. OP is having a bit of trouble figuring out CC for the first time!!

OP, if you see this, please click on the links above to roll call.

or email me at:

halcruisepc(at)gmail(dot)com

substitute symbols for the at and dot!!

looking forward to hearing from you.

ML

posting to get this back on first page. OP is having a bit of trouble figuring out CC for the first time!!

OP, if you see this, please click on the links above to roll call.

or email me at:

halcruisepc(at)gmail(dot)com

substitute symbols for the at and dot!!

looking forward to hearing from you.

ML

This thread has been relocated to the Westerdam Roll Call board. There is a redirect on the main board but that redirect will drift down quickly. If you subscribed to this thread you will still go to the still active thread on the Roll Call board because the redirect is automatic. If not click on this link: Westerdam Panama Canal April 15, 2011

Archived