Uniworld Luggage

cb222

When they say one suitcase do they mean only one check-in size?

I usually take one check-in and one carry-on. Plus a purse. I

have a lot of stuff that I cannot check.

Will that be a problem?

We are on The River Royale.

Thanks, cb

Will that be a problem?

Thanks, cb

We had one check-in sized piece each and our carry ons. I also had a huge purse.

I don't know why Uniworld has that one piece rule. Other lines don't. We loved our cruise with them even if we were limited in the number of suitcases.

Avalon has the same rule as does Globus if you do land tours. The reason is in case there are problems on the river they want to make sure that the luggage will fit on the bus which has limited room both underneath and inside. Surely 1 large suitcase and 1 carryon is enough room particularly as the airlines have such strict overweight restrictions.There are always people who think the rules do not really apply to them which is hardly fair to the other passengers. A large suitcase,a carryon and a purse is fine.I am sure they would not refuse to take your luggage no matter what you had but you would sure stand a good chance of irritating the other passengers and getting "THAT" reputation right from the beginning.:eek:

My 26" suitcase fit under the bed on the River Queen. The only carryon I bring (and I also have a fair number of things that I can't check) is a backpack. This lets me move myself without requiring assistance, even of a baggage cart. In the event of travel problems (like getting from Frankfurt to Antwerp last year) I know that I can move myself. Even so, I always seem to pack more than I need.

I also understand that the European airlines restrict you to 1 checked bag and charge big bucks if you have more. Our first leg on the return trip is from Lyon to Paris on Air France and rather than take the chance of the excessive charge for a second piece, will definitely restrict my clothing to 1 BIG piece of luggage.

B. Cole

Will that be a problem?

Thanks, cb

I have been on 5 different cruise lines and they all had a limit of 1 large bag and 1 carry on (plus a purse). Often I will travel with a smaller, nylon duffel bag and I will use it on the way home to pack dirty clothes so that I have extra room in my larger suitcase for souvenirs. If your carry on is not too large, the bus drivers will allow you to put that in the undercarriage of the bus if they have extra room.

The less you take the happier you will really be. A suitcase much bigger than 25/26 inches will NOT fit in small taxi trunks of Europe. Also tiny little "lifts" and big suitcases are a problem 1 person, 1 smallish case will fit in elevator otherwise :eek:. So you have a rolling suitcase well they just do not roll on cobblestones -- at least not well. You have to rediscover that handle on the side and carry it! Don't forget stairs from trains and understreet passageways. I have learned that I can carry a max of 40 pounds and even if the airline lets me have 50 I better NOT. If you are at all a normal sized person, you can buy what you might just Have to Have. I am plus size (giagantic in some small stature places:o) so a little more difficult but if I really need something I look for someone my size and ask where they buy clothes or I ask at a hotel where my English is not such a problem. In worst case, do without or make do.

One thing that I really like is my rolling tote bag. It's size has never been challenged but I think it holds more than most. I fill it with packages. A bag of food and snacks for trip, a bag with books/puzzles sweater everything need for seat on flight, medications,spare clothes,camera/case, shoes that walk better than clogs for TSA, purse on top, rain poncho/umberella in side pocket. Well you get the idea. This zippered on the top bag stands well, can "dig" in it to find what you need, and is easy to grab and go with the handles on the top. I often piggy back it to my rolling suitcase. My husband has a somber black one that his whole camera outfit fits in plus his seat bag, coat, etc.

If you can find one at a decent price, a rolling back pack is probably the very best carry-on we've ever used. I purchased two of them back in early 2007 at Ross Dress for Less for $20 each. They have traveled with us all over the world via plane, bus, train and auto.

One is still going strong, however we did lose one last year. I gave DH mine and got a small duffel with wheels as my carry-on. It's very roomy, but the back pack with its several pockets, water bottle holder and extreme light weight is a real winner.

Our check-in luggage is a 26 inch "suiter" which has a nice compartment for DH's blazer and is also light weight and roomy. The other piece is a 26" drop-bottom rolling duffel.

We pack with cubes and folders and have no problems finding room for all of our stuff while staying within airline weight limits.

Archived