Belize-Filthy city of knockoff purses

bliss14

We totally enjoyed Belize City and Ladyville. We wandered all over town visiting museums, schools, shops, eating gibnut and stewed cowsfoot at Neries Restaurant etc.. Gotta get out of the caged in Tourism Village and wander deep into town. Yes, it is run down some, a bit trashy, but the people are super nice, friendly. So great to see a "REAL" place. No Carlos & Charlies/Fat Tuesday/Senor Frogs etc..

3 cruises and Belize City, Roatan and Ensenada have been our top 3 stops.

We want to go back to Belize and see whats outside the city next, all say it is gorgeous.

Funny how some people spend a couple hours in Belize City and then say Belize is a bad place to visit. It is kind of like somebody visiting Detroit for 2 hours and then saying the USA is a dirty place with nothing to offer.

It's embarassing. You would think people would do a little research before making atrip. But what do you expect from a society that's into fast food, shopping malls and texting.

Belieze is actually one of the most eco-friendly places in the Americas, with too many things to do on just a day in port

Hey Centex, only 46 more days until we go to Goff's. Can't wait to get there!

I purchased a special little item from one of the back parking lot venders, an antique apothocary bottle he found in the ocean. It had turned irredescent from being in the ocean so long. It proudly sits on my shelves in our cruise guest bath with my other trinkets. For a buck 50 I have a one of a kind artifact. Don't care what it's actually worth, it's great.

One just needs to be aware and alert and you can just about go anywhere. But he who digs deeper is rewarded.....;)

Although its been a few years, I did some consulting work there for a client and spent quite a few days in country and the city is nothing like the rest of the country. Some of the most beautiful flora and fauna I've ever experianced and the people (especially Mayans) are fantastic.:)

• 6 months later...

Me and DH will be going to Belize in January from our cruise...and I for one cannot wait!

DH was lucky enough to be sent to Belize when he was in the Army and he fell in love with the place...he always said he would take me there one day...well that was 24 years ago and he has finally kept his word:D

Having been to many so called poor countries ...India...Egypt etc we go to meet the locals and soak up the culture and we have never had a bad holiday yet.

Me and DH will be going to Belize in January from our cruise...and I for one cannot wait!

DH was lucky enough to be sent to Belize when he was in the Army and he fell in love with the place...he always said he would take me there one day...well that was 24 years ago and he has finally kept his word:D

Having been to many so called poor countries ...India...Egypt etc we go to meet the locals and soak up the culture and we have never had a bad holiday yet.

With your very positive attitude feel certain you'll have a WONDERFUL time. :D

We are always happy to have a port stop in Belize! :)

LuLu

~~~~

We took an excursion to Xantunich Mayan Ruins. Outside the area before you take the "hand crank ferry" were lovely little stands selling beautiful Belizian treasures. Afterwards, we stopped at a lovely spot and had a delicious lunch and they had the best sauces for purchase and outside were tables set up by locals selling handmade jewelry. There was no pressure to buy at either of these two stops.

We enjoyed our trip to Belize but you have to get OUT away from the port and away from Belize City.

We did an excursion with RC to Lamanai -Mayan Ruins and they were fantastic. We took an hour bus ride, then a 45 minute boat ride to get there. Absolutely beautiful countryside. We have also walked to the vendors just outside the terminal shopping area and found some wonderful buys on homemade jewelry and t-shirts.

Archived