Report from QM2 WC (1st segment)

StarFlyr

I boarded the QM2 in FLL for the 2011 WC to Cape Town. The ship was completely full and so there was no chance to upgrade. We had a "port hole" room on the 6th deck. Very nice ride all the way to Cape Town. If anyone got sea sick on this cruise, it was because they had too much to drink.

The consensus at our table of 8 in the Britannia Restaurant was that there were too many formal nights (10 as I remember) although it didn't bother me any. Before the cruise I read here that 90-95% of the men wear tuxedos rather than dark business suits. I would agree with that estimate and it might even be a bit more.

Most of the meals in the Britannia Restaurant were very good although they seemed to be tapering down during the last week of the voyage. Once we went high hat and dined in the Todd English ($30 extra per person). We both thought the dinner there was excellent. And twice, we went to the Carvery for the $10 extra meal where I thought the service and the food was better than any meal in the Britannia. They try to make it special with white table cloths, candle lights, waiters, and cooked to order food. I had the best steak on the voyage during the 2 dinners we ate there.

I did see a lot of "Caribbean" cruisers eating in the other King's Court areas in flip-flops, tee shirts and shorts during the dinner hour as the cruise went on toward the end of the 1st segment. The Britannia Restaurant seemed full or nearly full at the start of the trip, but as the days wore on, there were more and more empty seats. I assume most if not all the "missing in action" were up in the King's Court.

Re bringing a bottle aboard during a shore stop, I believe there is a rule against doing so, but no one at the boarding station seems to care. I did it twice, including a 5th of rum for a little toddy in the room before dinner. I did think the price of drinks in the various bars were very reasonable, perhaps a bit cheaper than in my home town bars. And my "toddys" were even cheaper.

I assume all the TV's in the various cabins were similar to mine. I pack a laptop that I download iTunes movies to. The flat screen in my room had an HDMI port and my laptop does also. With a 6 foot HDMI cable I was able to watch a few movies in the room that I've wanted to see during the voyage. Those with a laptop that has a video outport might consider doing the same. In addition to the HDMI port on the flat screen, I believe it also would take an external video with A/V cabling or S-video cabling.

In total, we enjoyed our 21 day cruise a great deal. Up to now, the longest cruise we've been on was 7 days. The only thing I would caution against doing on the QM2 is visiting the craps table. I personally rolled a lot of "snake eyes" on the velvet green. Some tough dealers there.:eek:

we are joining QM2 for the last leg, Dubai to New York. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on the visa necessary for entry into the UAE, albeit flying into Dubai one night and boarding the ship the next. Even our TA is mystified by the conflicting information. She called Cunard who referred her to an agency, whom when she called asked why she didnt apply through Cunard.

Some of the on line agencies are charging what I feel are exorbinant fees, i.e. $275 to $325 per person. One also quoted a $1370 cash security deposit, which would be refunded when they are sure you left the country. Are they kidding

Anyone out there with any information or thoughts

we are joining QM2 for the last leg, Dubai to New York. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on the visa necessary for entry into the UAE, albeit flying into Dubai one night and boarding the ship the next. Even our TA is mystified by the conflicting information. She called Cunard who referred her to an agency, whom when she called asked why she didnt apply through Cunard.

Some of the on line agencies are charging what I feel are exorbinant fees, i.e. $275 to $325 per person. One also quoted a $1370 cash security deposit, which would be refunded when they are sure you left the country. Are they kidding

Anyone out there with any information or thoughts

I just did a quick check on Google, with the words "UAE visa for canadians" and one of the first items that popped up was this: http://www.emirates247.com/business/visas-for-canadians-at-under-70-2011-01-03-1.337245

May I suggest you duplicate my search? It will be faster than my pasting and copying all the links in here.

Bon voyage!

For those who might be interested...

Apparently, QM2's port stop in Christchuch, New Zealand, has been cancelled due to the earthquake and aftershocks.

Source: http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/02/new-zealand-earthquake-hapag-lloyd-cruise/144101/1

The QM2 will call into Wellington in stead of lyttleton. Reports are that between 60 -80 % of lyttleton, which is the port town for Christchurch has been destroyed, the latest count is 75 dead and this is epxected to rise. The Prime Minister has activated a national state of emergency, and the country is in mourning.

ChCH is a beautiful town and unfortuantely it has just lost most of the heritage buildings that gave it that special feel. Our heart as a nation has gone out to the people of the South.

The QM2 will call into Wellington in stead of lyttleton. Reports are that between 60 -80 % of lyttleton, which is the port town for Christchurch has been destroyed, the latest count is 75 dead and this is epxected to rise. The Prime Minister has activated a national state of emergency, and the country is in mourning.

ChCH is a beautiful town and unfortuantely it has just lost most of the heritage buildings that gave it that special feel. Our heart as a nation has gone out to the people of the South.

Roscoe, that is sad news. For the family and friends of those lost, my deepest sympathy. We mourn your loss.

I had hoped that Cunard would send a few tenders from QM2 loaded with food supplies and medical equipment to the port of Lyttelton, but apparently that is not going to happen. -S

Roscoe, that is sad news. For the family and friends of those lost, my deepest sympathy. We mourn your loss.

I had hoped that Cunard would send a few tenders from QM2 loaded with food supplies and medical equipment to the port of Lyttelton, but apparently that is not going to happen. -S

no but if theres any spare cavier or foie gras going, they can always send the food parcel to me!

:D

on a serious note, we are currently waiting for the Hotel Grand chancellor to fall over. Its a large hotel that has a lean on, apparently the floors have been seperated about the 10th floor and it will continue to slowly twist and eventually within hours, come down. it will probably bring the buildings around it with it. Very sad few days but makes you realise how tenuous life it, and how fabulous being able to cruise is.

on a serious note, we are currently waiting for the Hotel Grand chancellor to fall over. Its a large hotel that has a lean on, apparently the floors have been seperated about the 10th floor and it will continue to slowly twist and eventually within hours, come down. it will probably bring the buildings around it with it. Very sad few days but makes you realise how tenuous life it, and how fabulous being able to cruise is.

All the more reason for Cunard to load up tenders with food, water and medical supplies to off-load at Lytetllon port! - Cripes, the ship is so close, and filled with supplies that it can replenish in the next port.- Cunard make us proud please. -S.

My deepest sympathy to the people of Christchurch, and all of New Zealand, on this terrible catastrophe. Our two countries have a particularly close relationship and this is a real 'family tragedy'.

I'm glad QM2 will not attempt to dock at Lyttelton - the emergency services are stretched to the limit and an influx of visitors would not be helpful. It's great to see everyone rallying to help our friends in NZ - emergency rescue personnel and police from Australia are already there, and the US, Japan and Singapore are sending assistance as well.

My deepest sympathy to the people of Christchurch, and all of New Zealand, on this terrible catastrophe. Our two countries have a particularly close relationship and this is a real 'family tragedy'.

I'm glad QM2 will not attempt to dock at Lyttelton - the emergency services are stretched to the limit and an influx of visitors would not be helpful. It's great to see everyone rallying to help our friends in NZ - emergency rescue personnel and police from Australia are already there, and the US, Japan and Singapore are sending assistance as well.

Well said Aussie Voyager.

But with respect, may I suggest that using tenders from QM2- which is so close- to deliver supplies to the Lyttelton port might be needed...or am I misunderstanding the situation? -S

Hi Salacia

The idea is nice, but QM2 only left Sydney this afternoon (Wednesday Australia time) and wasn't due to dock in Christchurch until Saturday. In the meantime, the New Zealand armed forces have a large presence (with a navy ship which had already docked in Lyttelton prior to the quake) and a nearby army base, civil defence personnel, local police and overeas aid already arriving - so by the time QM2 gets close there will already be major supply chains in place.

Archived