very confused...plz help! iPhone/calls to home ?'s

rt3773

Here is what I do know:

I have an iPhone, my carrier is AT&T, and I need to briefly communicate with my family back home as I am leaving 3 kids behind.

I have read several threads, no I have not talked to AT&T yet, My husband is supose to do that. We leave in a few days.

Texting would be fine. Do I understand that to send and receive texts it is 50 cents? Is that the final charge, or is that the carriers charge or the ships charge? B/c texting would work.

What are my options on phone calls? How do calling cards work--on ship or at port?

I just need some definites on what to do, DO NOT want a huge phone bill when I return, but need to check in on kids.

I know I should turn data receiving off, put phone in airplane mode. I guess I switch that off when I need to send a text?

Make sure all of your pushing is shut off and it stays on Airplane mode the entire trip. Any and all parts of communication costs on board are outrageous.

I disagree!

Texting is a reasonable way to check on things at home. For 1.00 you can send a text and receive a response.

well then what are my best options for checking in with family?

So are you saying its not true that texts are 50 cents each?

Turn off data roaming and cellular data and it will still work as a phone for calls and texts. No need to worry about airplane mode - because it turns off the texting and phone options too.

Texts are .50 each (in and out) and the calls are 2.49/minute. We opted for texts during our Miracle cruise 2 weeks ago. Set our phones like AT&T told us - and had NO data charged to our accounts while we were gone.

Just an FYI- I have an iphone and am also with AT&T, and my phone would not work on the ship or in Cozumel. You can call home for $.99 a minute from the phone in your room, which will be cheaper than making a call from your cell if it works.

That is really weird. Do you have international service enabled on your number :confused:. Our iPhones have worked on the ship and in every port - although getting voice mail has been challenging in the past :rolleyes:

My Verizon blackberry for work did not work on the ships network - but it worked in all of the ports :o

Follow the advice in Happy Cruzin's link (as long as data is turned off, you won't get the $1000+ bills). We had to check in on family on our last cruise and I added the At&T World Traveler ($5.99 a month) for the month of the cruise, which gave us lower in port rates (and more than paid for itself with our usage) and then only called in ports versus the $2.49 cellular at sea charge. We did not try texting. I also kept the phone in airport mode except when we called home.

My iPhone did not work in St. Thomas nor in Cozumel. Here is a link to where you can get service out of the country. Text is a great way to communicate. Just make sure your Data is turned off. ALso my DH has the older version iPhone and his would not txt but mine would ? :confused: He had to use my phone to txt for his work I have the 3GS not the newest version

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/dataconnect-global.jsp

Just an FYI- I have an iphone and am also with AT&T, and my phone would not work on the ship or in Cozumel. You can call home for $.99 a minute from the phone in your room, which will be cheaper than making a call from your cell if it works.

Wow, that's just completely wrong information. It's a minimum of $6.99 per minute to use the stateroom phone.

Here it is, directly from Carnival's FAQ:

For our guest's convenience, the ship's telecommunications network offers direct dialing via satellite from the staterooms telephone. This is available 24 hours a day regardless of the ship's location. This service is closed on the final day of the cruise at 4:00AM. The rate is $6.99 per minute for calls to the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico and $9.99 per minute for all International calls. All charges are billed to the guest's on board Sail and Sign Card. Since all communication is via satellite, guests cannot use calling cards, credit cards, dial 800 toll-free numbers nor make a collect calls. Instructions and rates can be found in the cabin's director

My iPhone did not work in St. Thomas nor in Cozumel. Here is a link to where you can get service out of the country. Text is a great way to communicate. Just make sure your Data is turned off. ALso my DH has the older version iPhone and his would not txt but mine would ? :confused: He had to use my phone to txt for his work I have the 3GS not the newest version

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/dataconnect-global.jsp

:confused: It should have worked - just like when you are at home - while in St. Thomas because it in included as part of your "home" network. :confused: :confused:

Wow, that's just completely wrong information. It's a minimum of $6.99 per minute to use the stateroom phone.

For our guest's convenience, the ship's telecommunications network offers direct dialing via satellite from the staterooms telephone. This is available 24 hours a day regardless of the ship's location. This service is closed on the final day of the cruise at 4:00AM. The rate is $6.99 per minute for calls to the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico and $9.99 per minute for all International calls. All charges are billed to the guest's on board Sail and Sign Card. Since all communication is via satellite, guests cannot use calling cards, credit cards, dial 800 toll-free numbers nor make a collect calls. Instructions and rates can be found in the cabin's director

They've apparently, on some ships, at various times, been testing a reduced per minute rate. On some cruises, it has been 99 cents a minute.

FYI......Some ships are offering other lower rates. I forget what it was on the Miracle - but it was not 6.99/minute.

:confused: It should have worked - just like when you are at home - while in St. Thomas because it in included as part of your "home" network. :confused: :confused:

I am pretty sure it was St. Thomas and not St. Martin?? Anyway I was confused too. I could not get service to save my life or my sanity- my Teenage Son was very angry :mad: that he was not able to text that day (reverted back to the terrible two's temper tantrums) :eek: That is why I remember it so well, LOL! Heaven forbid he could not text his GF!! Gotta love those teenagers. Otherwise I have had no issues with my iPhone or any added charges.

Carnival.com is free on the ship. Each person needs to register.

You can post on the Currently Onboard Forum, and your family can post back. Not as good as talking to them, but the price can't be beat. If you don't bring your laptop, there is an Internet Cafe that has computers on the ship you can use.

Melanie

If you have to communicate every day, just use the onboard Internet at 75 cents a minute, pay as you go.

Too much hassle with cell phones.

If you can wait until you get to ports, the internet cafes are very inexpensive. You can ask the crew about where to go to make cheap phone calls in port.

what is the difference between cellular data and data roaming under general settings on the iPhone?

If I have data roaming off does that mean basically no interent stuff but can still do calls and texts? Does both data roaming and cellular data need to be off?

what is the difference between cellular data and data roaming under general settings on the iPhone?

If I have data roaming off does that mean basically no interent stuff but can still do calls and texts? Does both data roaming and cellular data need to be off?

Yes - you can still use the phone - as a phone for text and calls with data roaming off. That is what is explained in the link I posted.

Yes they both need to be off - according to AT&T. I believe it is because some applications use the cellular data and not the internet to deliver content to your phone. So - to incur NO data charges you need to turn them both off.

I have always found the international travel department with AT&T to be very helpful. You really should call them to clarify your concerns.

texting is the way to go, that's really all i do while on the boat. turn off your data, do not answer the phone, and if you have to make a call, do it while in port because on the ship you're charged a per-minute international charge from at&t PLUS the $2.49 per-minute charge from cellular at sea.

Archived