ES price comparison with non-Carnival websites??

KentuckyKat

From Carnival's FAQ's:

What is Early Saver?

Early Saver is a brand new promotional rate that rewards you for booking early with the absolute lowest rate. In addition, the fares are backed by a unique price protection assurance. Book your cruise now. If you later find a lower Carnival advertised fare for the same sailing and accommodations, Carnival will honor it, issuing the difference in the form of a non-refundable, non-transferable onboard credit. The policy is effective up to two business days prior to sailing. You now have even more great reasons to book early! Not only will you have the best availability of staterooms, dates, and destinations…you’re assured the lowest rate.

That's what I thought, but then I saw a discussion in another thread that made me think people were matching rates from other websites and the ES form asks where you saw the lower rate -- where else could you see it if you can only match the Carnival rate? Didn't want to miss anything! :o

What percent of the time does someone actually find their cruise go lower in price than the Early Saver rate that they've booked? We booked our cruise last August. I've yet to see the rate go down. So far the lowest price is about $185 more than what we paid. I keep hoping! I go to the Booking Engine on the Carnival website. Am I at the right place? I just act as if I'm starting over looking for a cruise. I put in the dates, destinations, etc. until I find my cruise. I even looked at the past customer rate (which we also were) and still can't find it cheaper. So is this usually how it is? We're sailing on 4/2. I wonder what the odds are of our cruise dropping between now and then.:confused:

Can you fill out ES price drop forms for prices you find on other websites (not just Carnival's)? I never thought about looking elsewhere for price drops, is that something you do? If so, this could beome a full time job! ;)

I check prices on my ES booked cruises at an online, reputable site. If I find a price lower than I paid, I call Carnival and confirm the new lower price. It has never failed and I have never boarded a Carnival ship that I booked ES without a significant drop in price on payment due and/or an onboard credit.

For me.....Carnival's site somehow does not work to determine price drop. Finding lower prices elsewhere and calling Carnival does. Then submit your form noting that you got the new lower price from 1-800-Carnival.

Have fun!

the carnival site now does not really let you pick your catagory 6A, 6B, etc.... so using the carnival site and going through the motions of pretending to book a new cruise might not get you the same catagory that you are booked into.... try this page instead. You can pick your ship, sail date AND catagory....

http://www.carnival.com/BookingEngine/FareViewer/#

it is much more specific, and will give you exactly what your cruise is selling for at that point in time.... Keep in mind that the price listed on that page is the total for the cabin (before taxes and fees)... not the price per person, so it might look high when really it is low.

to the OP.... yes the price does actually drop. On our most recent cruise we had a total of 120.00 in OBC from ES price drops. as it gets closer to your sail date carnival may start to lower prices if there are a bunch of cabins still available. Keep looking at the next catagory up from yours as well, you night be able to get an upgrade if the price for the higher lavel drops lower than what you have paid.

Good luck, check OFTEN, the closer it gets to your sail date the prices could change several times in one day!

From Carnival's FAQ's:

What is Early Saver?

Early Saver is a brand new promotional rate that rewards you for booking early with the absolute lowest rate. In addition, the fares are backed by a unique price protection assurance. Book your cruise now. If you later find a lower Carnival advertised fare for the same sailing and accommodations, Carnival will honor it, issuing the difference in the form of a non-refundable, non-transferable onboard credit. The policy is effective up to two business days prior to sailing. You now have even more great reasons to book early! Not only will you have the best availability of staterooms, dates, and destinations…you’re assured the lowest rate.

So, all sites that advertise rates in public are carnival advertised rates, since no one can discount. ... in a nutshell.

People sometimes read that as it needs to be on carnival.com

There is also a place to put which website you found the price on the form.

nobody can have lower rates than what is on Carnivals site so if you see it lower on a non CCL page chances are it's lower on CCL's page.

It's just easier to decipher on the non CCL page.

Bill

AMEN ! Why is that? :confused::D

What percent of the time does someone actually find their cruise go lower in price than the Early Saver rate that they've booked? We booked our cruise last August. I've yet to see the rate go down. So far the lowest price is about $185 more than what we paid. I keep hoping! I go to the Booking Engine on the Carnival website. Am I at the right place? I just act as if I'm starting over looking for a cruise. I put in the dates, destinations, etc. until I find my cruise. I even looked at the past customer rate (which we also were) and still can't find it cheaper. So is this usually how it is? We're sailing on 4/2. I wonder what the odds are of our cruise dropping between now and then.:confused:

We've had price drops on previous cruises but if you book your cruise in a very popular time of the year (like in summer) the prices often go up as the demand is strong.

Had you booked a cruise for 2/20/11 on the Victory using ES you may have had a price drop as the price of that cruise was as low as $299 a few days ago.

If you're sailing on the Carnival Liberty on 4/2 (unlike Liberty of the Seas in your countdown) opportunities for price drops will probably be better starting about 3 weeks out and up to the cruise date. This is when Carnival will lower prices in order to get the ship full.

Last cruise we had a major price drop 1 week before the cruise! :D

So, all sites that advertise rates in public are carnival advertised rates, since no one can discount. ... in a nutshell.

People sometimes read that as it needs to be on carnival.com

There is also a place to put which website you found the price on the form.

Clear as MUD! :D

From Carnival's FAQ's:

Book your cruise now. If you later find a lower Carnival advertised fare for the same sailing and accommodations, Carnival will honor it, issuing the difference in the form of a non-refundable, non-transferable onboard credit. .

To be clear, before final payment, it is not in the form of a non-refundable, non-transferable onboard credit. It is a price reduction.

Also, since Carnival does not allow travel agents to advertise rates lower than Carnival rates, it is probably doesn't make much sense searching te internet for bargains. The Carnival search engine works fine.

That's what I thought, but then I saw a discussion in another thread that made me think people were matching rates from other websites and the ES form asks where you saw the lower rate -- where else could you see it if you can only match the Carnival rate? Didn't want to miss anything! :o

Carnival won't permit travel agents to discount the price. ALL agencies can only advertise regular Carnival rates.

When you find a "discount" on another website....it's not a Carnival price. The discount is the result of the agency kicking back some of their commission in order to discount. Because it isn't a Carnival advertised price, you can't use it for comparison.

Where on the carnival website do you find the military rates? I have seen this posted but cannot locate.

Thanks for your help!

You won't find them on Carnival's website. You can either google for online agencies that give them or call Carnival direct.

Carnival won't permit travel agents to discount the price. ALL agencies can only advertise regular Carnival rates.

When you find a "discount" on another website....it's not a Carnival price. The discount is the result of the agency kicking back some of their commission in order to discount. Because it isn't a Carnival advertised price' date=' you can't use it for comparison.[/quote']

That is true. However, Carnival does not list all of the available prices on their website at any one time. Military rates are a good example. Rarely shown, but sometimes available. So, if you find that rate someplace else, Carnival does have it on it's list someplace. So, although it has to be a Carnival rate, it does not have to be shown on Carnival.com to qualify.

When you find a "discount" on another website....it's not a Carnival price. The discount is the result of the agency kicking back some of their commission in order to discount. Because it isn't a Carnival advertised price' date=' you can't use it for comparison.[/quote']

Travel agents still do this even after CCL changed their policy about discounting?

Bill

That is true. However, Carnival does not list all of the available prices on their website at any one time. Military rates are a good example. Rarely shown, but sometimes available. So, if you find that rate someplace else, Carnival does have it on it's list someplace. So, although it has to be a Carnival rate, it does not have to be shown on Carnival.com to qualify.

Actually Carnival has never shown military rates on its site. dont know why. So as others have said you can find it on some TA sites or call.

Travel agents still do this even after CCL changed their policy about discounting?

Bill

Some TAs are still quietly discounting...but only verbally over the phone or privately on email... like before, except more quietly and at least one has stopped discounting Carnival and no longer sells this line.

Actually Carnival has never shown military rates on its site. dont know why. So as others have said you can find it on some TA sites or call.

That was the point- but Carnival does have it on its list of valid fares, whether they put it on their website or not. That is what defines a Carnival fare- is it on their list of valid fares, not is it on their website.

• 2 weeks later...
Can you fill out ES price drop forms for prices you find on other websites (not just Carnival's)? I never thought about looking elsewhere for price drops, is that something you do? If so, this could beome a full time job! ;)

You can, but it is a waste of time.

"Other" websites and TA's can't sell below Carnival's price. Sometimes, these agencies will kick back some of their commission and offer you a lower rate..but it is out of their pocket, not a Carnival fare.

Carnival doesn't consider travel agent promotional fares with price comparing....only their published fares.

Looking for military rate? Look elsewhere. Looking for a state discount? Probably have to look elsewhere. Carnival not showing a senior rate? Almost certainly available- look elsewhere.

Or don't. Carnival is counting on the fact that many people will not take advantage of the ES discounts. I check at least one other site which I have found good about other rates.

Archived