Decorating Cabin Door??

buckeyefan10

Just got back yesterday from the Triumph. I got window clings from the Dollar Tree. Hearts for Valentines and it was our anniversary. One night one of the hearts was missing. I walked down a few doors and found it. Then next night 3 were missing. I found 2 of them. I just took them off. So, I wouldn't spend much money on it if I were you. It was fun seeing our door decorated though. I wish people didn't suck so bad! lol

Not only do they take your stuff, but they display it on THEIR door. Stupid people. :confused:

Edited by Martini Mom

How many of you decorate your cabin door? I was thinking of doing this. I thought it would be fun and also help my elderly mother find the room better. :) I've read that some people find this "tacky". It is a fun ship after all right?

I see nothing wrong with it although I've never done it myself. It would help your mother (and anyone who's had a couple of drinks) find the room! I know neighbors have decorated their door and I always find my room with "three doors after the moose decoration". Why not?!

Seeing everyone's cabin door decorations is so much fun in this thread, that I had to post a couple of photos of what I placed on our cabin door on our Emerald Princess cruise we took this past fall.

Below is the cabin door with sign I helped design:

IMG_4485D.jpg

As you can see in the below close up, another pax (from our Roll Call) and I combined my design (the top graphic design) with the Cruise Critic's sign you can print out... to make a poster for cabin door signs for members of our Roll Call. It was great fun having these signs on all our Roll Call member's doors!

I still have my poster/sign and have it framed in my home-office to remind me of our great cruise:

IMG_4485E.jpg

Close up of design below:

LOGO-Redesigned.jpg

Edited by monakayk

I bought some window gel decals and would like to use them on our door but don't know if they will stick and then remove with no residue. Anyone use them?

I have used magnets and the command adhesive stuff but the magnets need to be really strong to stay on the door as it is plastic covered with [perhaps] metal underneath. I have found that magnets stay on the wall by the door better than on the door itself.

I found a lightweight printed cardboard wreath with sea creatures on it and have used it several cruises but it got pretty beat up in the luggage the last cruise so I will try to come up with something new and different next time.

Edited by Clairescurtains

I'm with the decorators. My kids love it!

We've decorated on a past cruise with magnets (different cruiseline). Does anyone know if the doors on the Destiny are metal or wood?

Much appreciated.

Wood. I brough magnets with, did NOT work except on the framing of the door only. Thank goodness I brought a package of tacking poster tape which worked perfectly. People on this board told me they were metal, but honestly were not.

mind if I steal this? that sounds like so much fun!

Yes, by all means do this. We had so much fun each night before we went to bed searching the hallways for Homer.

We are cruising again the last week of March (spring break) and I'm trying to figure out what character to hang up this time.

Homer, beer, St. patty's day - was the perfect character, and who doesn't know Homer, lol.

Any ideas?

I'm in the "it looks tacky" minority. While I could see it would be helpful for a child to find the cabin, or perhaps an elderly forgetful parent, we (husband and I) are quite able to find the cabin based on the cabin number which is on the door.

Have not done the doors before..but since we will be celebrating our 35th anniversary. We are even doing an inside cabin like we had on the Marti Gras like we did when we got married......yes of course we love a balcony but we want to have fun with it, added to the fact we will be on a lot of ports, so wont be in the room all that much, Nothing wrong with having some fun, even if some think its tacky, one persons tacky is another persons fun, we only live once so might as well try new and different things from time to time. I choose not be be snob :)

I like to decorate the doors just so that people in our group know that they are at one of our cabins without having to remember the cabin number exactly.

On our next cruise, I bought something called 'Wall Pops'. They are about 18" around and are essentially Dry Erase boards that adhere directly to a wall or door. Now my parents (in the room next door) and I can leave messages for each other telling the other where we'll be. We always have trouble finding each other on these ships while at sea, so hopefully this will help!

we did it for grandson on our last cruise in 09. He loved it. was a 4 foot high Iquana wearing a straw hat, sun glasses and shaking morracas. <spelling>He loved it, it was fun, and the other cruisers seemed to love it. And we were in the penthouse suite and did it. Go for it. Its your vacation.

I just love this one....DH and I have a summer house in Carson City Nv. we spend every summer there and just love everything Reno has to offer!

We decorate our door on every cruise....this time Hubby is currently deployed to some big sandbox so, I'm taking my mother and Grandmother on their first cruise......and YES I will decorate our door in April !! I Love the "where are you from post it idea maybe I'll try that one! This year in honor of the hubby it's a RED, WHITE AND BLUE SUPPORT THE TROOPS THEME!!

Here's a shot of our door decoration.... I have a friend who prints banners so he made this one up for me. On some of our cruises where the roll call is very active, we have had a where I live door decorating theme.

2456217710103584906S600x600Q85.jpg

• 2 years later...
We cruised over St. Patty's day one year. I made up a BIG Homer Simpson with a beer in hand and a sign in the other hand with a st. patty's shirt to boot. I also attatched a pen and roll of tape.

The sign said "steal me off this door, write your cabin # on it and let's see how many rooms I visit over the course of the week."

The last night we went looking for it, found it 4 floors above our floor, and Homer visited 220 rooms. The cruise director even made an announcement over the intercom about who's seen Homer.

It was fun.

This. Is. Awesome!!!!!

How many of you decorate your cabin door? I was thinking of doing this. I thought it would be fun and also help my elderly mother find the room better. :) I've read that some people find this "tacky". It is a fun ship after all right?

I decorate my door every time, helps to find the room easier at the end of the night..if you know what I mean..LOL

DD is getting married in Key West on our March cruise. We are going to decorate their door to celebrate the occasion. I like seeing all of the unique and fun decorations and don't think there is anything wrong or tacky about it at all. The ships even offer a prize (ship on a stick) for the best door decorations.

Just remember that someone is going to have to clean up the remaining sticky stuff before the next occupant comes on, and there won't be a lot of time!

I have always taken down my door signs and made sure all the "sticky stuff" is cleaned up....as I would think most people do too who put up signs.

BTW...the staff put up door signs if pax are celebrating B-Days, Anniversaries so I don't think if a pax put them up too it will create more work for them. Below is what I and the staff put up on our door on our Nov-Dec cruise , since the DH was celebrating his B-day on the cruise:

<a href=IMG_3167A_zpsccd6e136.jpg' alt='IMG_3167

Edited by monakayk

I have always taken down my door signs and made sure all the "sticky stuff" is cleaned up....as I would think most people do too who put up signs.

BTW...the staff put up door signs if pax are celebrating B-Days, Anniversaries so I don't think if a pax put them up too it will create more work for them. Below is what I and the staff put up on our door on our Nov-Dec cruise , since the DH was celebrating his B-day on the cruise:

<a href=IMG_3167A_zpsccd6e136.jpg' alt='IMG_3167

Glad you do!!! But I would say many people don't. :(