AD category questions

missjanet

Last week I booked an AD GTY cabin on the Caribbean Princess for their Canada & New England sailing in June. That was the only thing available in the AD category at that time.

I have been checking the Princess web site every day for price drops or to see if they assigned us a particular cabin. Last night I saw that cabin E729 was available, otherwise all you could book was a GTY (I manually plugged in all the other cabin numbers for that category & they were not available). I wasn't sure what to do - wait to see if we got an upgrade or grab this AD cabin because I've heard good things about these particular mini-suites.

What I'd like to know is why people like them so much. I've often read that they are sought after. Is it only because they are fully covered? I don't know what that actually means - does that mean that no one from above can see into your balcony? Is the balcony any bigger than other balconies?

I'm just wondering if I did the right thing by grabbing that cabin. I'd prefer the back of the ship, I think, because I do get some motion sickness. I was just apprehensive because I know those cabins are under Club Fusion.

Would appreciate any insight from fellow cruisers. Thank you.

Last week I booked an AD GTY cabin on the Caribbean Princess for their Canada & New England sailing in June. That was the only thing available in the AD category at that time.

I have been checking the Princess web site every day for price drops or to see if they assigned us a particular cabin. Last night I saw that cabin E729 was available, otherwise all you could book was a GTY (I manually plugged in all the other cabin numbers for that category & they were not available). I wasn't sure what to do - wait to see if we got an upgrade or grab this AD cabin because I've heard good things about these particular mini-suites.

What I'd like to know is why people like them so much. I've often read that they are sought after. Is it only because they are fully covered? I don't know what that actually means - does that mean that no one from above can see into your balcony? Is the balcony any bigger than other balconies?

I'm just wondering if I did the right thing by grabbing that cabin. I'd prefer the back of the ship, I think, because I do get some motion sickness. I was just apprehensive because I know those cabins are under Club Fusion.

Would appreciate any insight from fellow cruisers. Thank you.

The AD minis are the only ones that are covered overhead. I for one do not care for their location and don't mind being on Dolphin with a completely uncovered balcony. Different strokes...........

I've had lots of mini suites on the Dolphin deck but experienced my first mini on the Emerald deck in December. LOVED IT! What was great for us was not only the privacy, but you're unaffected by weather. We had showers many evenings and had dry furniture in the morning. Since we decided to do the ultimate balcony breakfast, this was important to us.

Also, one of the benefits is there are only the balconies there at the back of the ship, not an entire deck of balconies. You made a good choice. Mark it "no upgrade" and enjoy!

Miss Janet , We can't say enough great things about that mini . Privacy is just awesome , we had the same room directly across on port side and our friend

Sandi had your room . We had noise from the lounge below on 1 occasion , your cabin had none , we were over the stage . The room is fabulous with 2 tv's, tons of space , just utter bliss . Very little foot traffic or noise . The balcony is darn near double sized and because your the last cabin you get a wake view as well . Ahh the noise of the wake . We had people over on our balcony with room to spare . It was about 50/50 with porting on your side on our Caribbean voyage . If I was you I would be thrilled ! I would mark no upgrade asap !

FYI pics and videos are floating around look for E728 (same room diff side ).

I'm jealous ! Have a blast ! Ted

Miss Janet , We can't say enough great things about that mini . Privacy is just awesome , we had the same room directly across on port side and our friend

Sandi had your room . We had noise from the lounge below on 1 occasion , your cabin had none , we were over the stage . The room is fabulous with 2 tv's, tons of space , just utter bliss . Very little foot traffic or noise . The balcony is darn near double sized and because your the last cabin you get a wake view as well . Ahh the noise of the wake . We had people over on our balcony with room to spare . It was about 50/50 with porting on your side on our Caribbean voyage . If I was you I would be thrilled ! I would mark no upgrade asap !

FYI pics and videos are floating around look for E728 (same room diff side ).

I'm jealous ! Have a blast ! Ted

Actually, the OP does not have the last cabin with bigger balcony...that would be E730/731. But it will be a lovely cabin. EM

We are planning on going on that same cruise. Yesterday, I saw that that cabin was available whereas before like you said that category had been a gty. I called my TA but she was not in. When I looked this morning E729 was gone. If you got it you will love it. We always try to book ADs on starboard side. They are much quieter. Another added benefit to this cabin on this particular cruise is that you should be able to have a good view of the Statue of Liberty. I think the way the ship docks, starboard side faces out and you should have a nice view. Enjoy the cabin.

Actually, the OP does not have the last cabin with bigger balcony...that would be E730/731. But it will be a lovely cabin. EM
EM is correct. The wrap around aft balconies are E730/E731 except on the Grand, Golden and Star where they ARE E728/E729. Cabin should still be nice. You would probably not be upgraded to a full suite and your only "upgrade" would be to a Cat AA, AB or AC which would be an identical room and balcony but with an uncovered balcony.

Hi CTGirl, I saw E729 available last night & called Princess because I had booked directly with them. I wasn't sure whether or not to take it or to take my chances on getting upgraded, but decided pretty quickly that I should change my reservation. And I did make sure they put "No upgrade" on the reservation.

Thanks, everyone, for the reasurrance about the cabin. I knew that it wasn't the last cabin on that side so it wouldn't be that extra big balcony people love on E731, but it still seemed like it might be nice to have that covered balcony & not have to worry so much about the elements.

It's our first time in a mini-suite & I'm really looking forward to it.

The AD minis are in my humble opinion terrific. I like the covered balcony and i like to location lower in the ship, I feel the ride is more stable and I appreciate being so close to the water, listening to the water as you cruise. The AD Emerald deck minis are at the end of the hallway, there isn't a lot of thru traffic and close to the stairs and elevators. The Starboard side rooms are especially nice on sailaways out of NYC with the Statue of Liberty and the Manhattan skyline on your side of the ship.

There is nothing wrong with the staandard balcony rooms, but the minis do allow you that extra living and sitting space which makes for a more comfortable cruise. And the full tub is great, those small showers in standard balcony rooms are kind of tight...

Ooooph! Sorry bout that , I assumed all shopping cart handle Skywalker ships were the nimbered the same , you know what they say bout a.s.s.u.m.e. . Still agree that you can't do better for a room down that end . Sorry for that misinformation ! Enjoy ! Ted

Hi CTGirl, I saw E729 available last night & called Princess because I had booked directly with them. I wasn't sure whether or not to take it or to take my chances on getting upgraded, but decided pretty quickly that I should change my reservation. And I did make sure they put "No upgrade" on the reservation.

Thanks, everyone, for the reasurrance about the cabin. I knew that it wasn't the last cabin on that side so it wouldn't be that extra big balcony people love on E731, but it still seemed like it might be nice to have that covered balcony & not have to worry so much about the elements.

It's our first time in a mini-suite & I'm really looking forward to it.

Hi Missjanet, We are on the Caribbean Princess for a b2b starting on March 6th. We are in E731. We love the AD minis. We will just have to book a gty for the June 22nd cruise. I'm hoping to book today and then I will post on the roll call. I'll have to come visit you in that cabin:D:D.

I've had E725 several times on different ships, and loved the location. It's quiet, private and you are protected from the sun and weather. It's hard to explain but an AD is like being in your own little world on the ship with no one else around. Which appeals to some, not to others. Some people think the covered balcony makes the cabin too dark but as Pia said, to each his own.

CTGirl,

You will certainly know where I am staying on the June sailing!! But you have what I've heard is the best AD mini-suite for your b2b cruise (lucky you to be able to do b2b!!) Please join the roll call for the June cruise - I just jumped on there myself & it looks like a very varied (geographically) group of cruisers. Will be celebrating my birthday on the cruise so I'm really looking forward to it.

Ted,

I only realized that E729 wasn't the last AD mini by looking at deck plans for ships other than the CB. Would have been a bonus if I could have gotten that last cabin, but I don't see that happening unless I get REALLY lucky!!

Thanks all for your input - I called Princess back to make sure they marked the reservation "No Upgrade."

CTGirl,

You will certainly know where I am staying on the June sailing!! But you have what I've heard is the best AD mini-suite for your b2b cruise (lucky you to be able to do b2b!!) Please join the roll call for the June cruise - I just jumped on there myself & it looks like a very varied (geographically) group of cruisers. Will be celebrating my birthday on the cruise so I'm really looking forward to it.

Ted,

I only realized that E729 wasn't the last AD mini by looking at deck plans for ships other than the CB. Would have been a bonus if I could have gotten that last cabin, but I don't see that happening unless I get REALLY lucky!!

Thanks all for your input - I called Princess back to make sure they marked the reservation "No Upgrade."

MissJanet, we had the last mini with the extended balcony once before. They ARE very nice. When I saw this one became available, just like you, I grabbed it. We still have not booked June yet. We will be celebrating our 28th Wedding Anniversary. My DH, Lance1224, has already posted on the roll call. I will as soon as I book. Hopefully later today.

Archived