POA with a large group

scrapgeek

My family is traveling on the Pride of America in June and we have 44 people. I am coordinating the event, but I feel frustrated with trying to get answers from NCL. Is there anyone out there who has done this cruise for a family reunion or other group give me some advice?

1) Dining can't be set up until we get to the ship, but we have 44 people. What are the chances that we will actually be able to get all 44 of us into the steakhouse for the same seating? And can they push tables together, or are we going to be spread out throughout the restaurant?

2) Luau seating -- basically the same question. We can't arrange to sit together; it's first come, first serve. I don't mind as long as we are all in the same general area, but I'd hate to have some of our group off sitting far away from everyone else.

3) Are there areas where we can meet up and mingle? I saw something about Meet & Greets, but I'm not sure if that applies to my type of group, or if that is just for Cruise Critic meetups.

And finally, can you just reassure me that this is all going to go smoothly? I just feel so out of control because they keep telling me I can't arrange anything until I get to the ship.

This is my first ever cruise. Can you tell? LOL

My family is traveling on the Pride of America in June and we have 44 people. I am coordinating the event, but I feel frustrated with trying to get answers from NCL. Is there anyone out there who has done this cruise for a family reunion or other group give me some advice?

1) Dining can't be set up until we get to the ship, but we have 44 people. What are the chances that we will actually be able to get all 44 of us into the steakhouse for the same seating? And can they push tables together, or are we going to be spread out throughout the restaurant?

2) Luau seating -- basically the same question. We can't arrange to sit together; it's first come, first serve. I don't mind as long as we are all in the same general area, but I'd hate to have some of our group off sitting far away from everyone else.

3) Are there areas where we can meet up and mingle? I saw something about Meet & Greets, but I'm not sure if that applies to my type of group, or if that is just for Cruise Critic meetups.

And finally, can you just reassure me that this is all going to go smoothly? I just feel so out of control because they keep telling me I can't arrange anything until I get to the ship.

This is my first ever cruise. Can you tell? LOL

I'd suggest getting a group booking having either NCL or a TA coordinate the whole thing, get group rates and amenities, and have all your questions be answered!;):D

That's the whole problem. They wouldn't give me a group rate (they said they limit the number per cruise, but they were happy to book 15 rooms for me at the regular rate) and if there are any amenities available, they are keeping mum about it.

The Group Coordinator for the ship keeps responding with form letters that say that all dining has to be coordinated once on board.

Clearly, I should have gotten a travel agent, but I have never been on a cruise before and I didn't realize it would be this hard.

I'm sure that I'm just not asking the right questions and using the right terminology, because obviously groups DO travel together and there must be a way to get what I need.

I do have someone in Group Excursions working with me and she is answering a lot of questions, but she doesn't know anything about what happens onboard, and the customer service reps just keep refering me back to the Group Coordinator, who at this point, hates me, I'm pretty sure.

I'm lost and confused.

Take a deep breath...

Okay, here's what I'd do, I'd ask for ONE dinner from the group events person for your group, since your group is SO large it might be almost impossible for you to eat all at once every night, and besides because of the excursions some people might decide to eat room service because they are tired, others might want to eat later, earlier etc. That's the fun part of freestyle cruising you can eat when you feel like it.

Your M&G can be accomplished as well, just say you want to have a family reunion meeting, you'll have X amount of bodies and please make a venue available for you. They will then give you a time and place. The whole thing is I don't know what excursions you'll be doing and they might give you a time since Hawaii is so port intensive, it might not work out for you. You can always get invites done ahead of time on your own, stating something like: We'll be meeting at the Pool Deck Bar at 5 pm and do your thing that way.

Good Luck! Don't stress too much, its a vacation! Just go with the mindset that something might not go off as planned but who cares, its a holiday with my family and I'm going to roll with it! ;):D

Take a deep breath...

Okay, here's what I'd do, I'd ask for ONE dinner from the group events person for your group, since your group is SO large it might be almost impossible for you to eat all at once every night, and besides because of the excursions some people might decide to eat room service because they are tired, others might want to eat later, earlier etc. That's the fun part of freestyle cruising you can eat when you feel like it.

Your M&G can be accomplished as well, just say you want to have a family reunion meeting, you'll have X amount of bodies and please make a venue available for you. They will then give you a time and place. The whole thing is I don't know what excursions you'll be doing and they might give you a time since Hawaii is so port intensive, it might not work out for you. You can always get invites done ahead of time on your own, stating something like: We'll be meeting at the Pool Deck Bar at 5 pm and do your thing that way.

Good Luck! Don't stress too much, its a vacation! Just go with the mindset that something might not go off as planned but who cares, its a holiday with my family and I'm going to roll with it! ;):D

Thanks, I needed that. Your words really do help.

I have accepted that they are not willing to do group dining reservations under any circumstances. (This is what I was told by both the group activity coordinator and customer service.) I will try to get it set up once on board and if it doesn't work out, oh well.

It's a great idea to just meet by the pool. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks so much!

Archived