First timers' reaction to cruising and touring Alaska

NHsnowpup

Would you say the last part of the trip into Denali was worth seeing? I believe we are only scheduled to go as far as mile 53 or something like that. :)

On our way in it was hazy and rainy, so Denali wasn't visible in all the best spots they said. We did see the moose in the lake very near the end. I'd have to look back to see if our different bear times were after where Tundra usually turns around or not. Coming out early in the AM was also misty and foggy, but that is when we saw the herds of caribou. That was magical. The Denali shots and most of the flowers were taken on the day we stayed there from just a few miles from the Roadhouse. As usual, it all depends on the day when Denali is concerned.

thanks so much for sharing!!

your book was wonderful, and the photos -simply gorgeous!

we are on a northbound cruise in june..and just cant wait!!

i hope our trip is as great as yours!

We just returned from three days up in the White Mountains snowboarding. Driving up and back we talked about what we really liked about our Alaska trip and decided it was---everything! The views up through Franconia Notch are amazing, with the blue skies and white peaks, Cannon cliffs. Big and close. Alaska was very similar but it was HUGE and yet far off. Still gives me a WOW when I look back through my photos.

Great photos and layout. Thanks for sharing!!

Quick question, how much time did it take to hike to the glacier (I think it was Mendenhall) and back?

We hiked to two glaciers, Exit down near Seward (no waterfall nearby) which had some trail choices. We did all the regular trails, (not Harding) and I think we were there 2 hours total, maybe 2 and 1/2.

At Mendenhall near Juneau, we walked out to the base of Nugget Falls. You could do it with an hour steady out and back I'm guessing. You don't get really close to the glacier because of the lake, but the view all along of the glacier face is amazing and the perspective changes. I stopped and took shots, laid down on my belly to get angles, and just stared at both the falls and the glacier. We also did a quick look in the visitor center, stamped our park passport, saw the movie and walked down the ramp with the plant signage, bathroom, and saw salmon at the small bridge near the shuttle dropoff. Missed the other creek bridge that often has bears, rats!! We spent a good bit of our morning there.

• 2 weeks later...

Here you go, double happiness quilting. A bump up of my book, just for you. Thanks for asking.

(Remember you can use the search for posts and threads by a person as well as jump back through the pages of a forum to find older posts.)

• 1 month later...

So, what CAN you see and do on an Alaska trip? Here's a bump from the way back pages where most don't dredge.

(If you've jumped to here using "go to newest post," I have our photobook link of our 16 day land/cruise trip posted on the first post)

Still available to answer a question, paying it forward and enjoying re-living our trip.

Thanks again to those who helped with our planning!!!

Loved your photos!

We have dreamed of an Alaskan holiday - cruise and land tour. We were going to do it this year, but somehow we ended up in Hawaii instead.

Just starting reading and browsing for info on Alaska, we do not know when we will get over there, but we know we will get there one day!

I had not considered organising our own land portion, but will now. Off to check out a couple of sites you mentioned now, :)

I loved your book...we too are from NH and we are headed to Alaska in June 2012. We are also going on Diamond. Doing the pre cruise for 4 days 1 night at McKinley and 2 at Denali can not wait

Thanks quilts. Your first mornings, make sure you find the morning omelet station right next to the waffles at the front pool. Then come back for the pizza for lunch. It's good North End pies, like Pizza Regina.

Hope you've got a good long run INTO Denali planned. The first few miles are nice, but it becomes jaw dropping near Polychrome and Muldrow glacier with the valley, rivers and ridges, and dropoffs. Then, of course there's the baby bears.

Loved your photos!

We have dreamed of an Alaskan holiday - cruise and land tour. We were going to do it this year, but somehow we ended up in Hawaii instead.

Just starting reading and browsing for info on Alaska, we do not know when we will get over there, but we know we will get there one day!

I had not considered organising our own land portion, but will now. Off to check out a couple of sites you mentioned now, :)

Thank you! The dog developed some behavior issues when I was planning the trip.

I bought and read at least 5 guidebooks over a year ahead, and THEN found CC in time to verify what I had found on my own. Narrowing down and making choices was HARD, but fun, too. The packaged tours just had too much that I wasn't interested in and other options I wanted weren't available. Hoping someday to go back, but there are too many other spots on our wish list. We just did the big one first :D

• 2 months later...

Hi

your photo's are great. I was wondering I saw you went twicw to hunnard Glacier and each time there was a big cruise ship with yours Is this normal? I would have a fit if another ship was there at same time blocking my shots

Thank you

mary

Hi

your photo's are great. I was wondering I saw you went twicw to hunnard Glacier and each time there was a big cruise ship with yours Is this normal? I would have a fit if another ship was there at same time blocking my shots

mary

I don't know if you are talking about my pictures but here is the story of our visits. We have been to Hubbard Glacier 3 times. The first 2 times (B2B cruise on the Veendam) a Celebrity ship was there with us. On the 1st visit we were the second ship there and the Celebrity ship hogged the view and would not leave until it was time for us to leave also. This did not make the captain of our ship happy at all. He said that the other captain was notorious for doing that so on our next visit we got there first and hogged the view until the Celebrity ship had to leave without getting close to the glacier. We were all rejoicing! Our 3rd visit was this year on the Amsterdam and we were the only ship at Hubbard that day.

BTW, I think we got a couple of really good promo shots of the Celebrity ship. Do you think they would pay us for them? :rolleyes:

We'll be on the Millennium next week and the cruise will include Hubbard. I hope we have a day as glorious as your photos show. Too bad the captains don't all share well for the viewing. I would think they would take turns with other ships in the area so all could have good views.

Hi

Thank you

mary

Thank you for the compliment, but maybe you are getting my shots and another's mixed up??

We were lucky that there was no other ship there when we were at Hubbard. We had the place to ourselves the whole time.:D

For Glacier Bay, there was another Princess ship already on the outbound when we were coming in so it gave me a good "perspective" shot against one of the smaller glaciers, but it wasn't in the way.

Beautiful pictures...I think you did a wonderful job....and thank you for taking pictures at the visitor center. We have beautiful flowers...and it always surprises people

Thank you, the WHOLE trip was amazing.

Hubby was the one that kept telling me to take pictures of the flowers everywhere. Are you Anchorage or Fairbanks? We enjoyed them both for sure.

Fairbanks was our favorite for the historical/cultural walking about. It was neat to see the dog racing/rescue center and then talk to the musher at Kantishna and find out his dogs came from there for his demo/training that he does at the Roadhouse.

Anchorage was our favorite for the coastal trail ride, seeing across the sound and Anchorage in the distance(with a rainbow) and the shops and parks where the kids were hanging out.

When I click on the link it tells me the site as 'timed out' Would love to see the book...tricks or hints?

?? Not sure what's up. I check back every once in a while to be sure it's not a dead/expired link. Once you get there it seems to like some browsers better than others, but works on Firefox and Explorer.

Bugs in the system maybe?:cool:

Archived