NCL Dawn limping from port to port

bigtree01

If this issue is known by NCL, then they should make passengers aware before the cruise so they have ample time (2 to 3 days) to cancel the cruise or reschedule to a different sailing. As long as they are being upfront with the information and giving passengers the option, then they would be doing the right thing.

The OBC offered seems very fair, but if I were a passenger I would have liked the information beforehand so I could possibly switch to a different cruise/vacation if I wanted to.

NCL may lose SOME money by giving people the option to switch, but I would bet the amount of people that actually does change travel plans would be minimal. BUT by handling the issue upfront and giving people options it would definitely make people happy and comfortable with the changes - good PR.

Some people choose their cruises based on the itinerary first and foremost.

- aj

We have just arrived in St. Thomas and it looks like a beautiful morning. We are much more go with the flow so have still had a great vacation despite the unexpected changes to the trip. The crew and service overall have been great, and the changes could have been much much worse in my opinion. St. Maarten is a beautiful island and had a great day at orient beach.

The Captain has just announced that the technical issue with the engine has been resolved, and therefore our time in St. Thomas has been extended until 5pm. We were originally scheduled to depart for Miami at 2pm. Hopefully this will be good news for those on the upcoming voyages!

As for missing Semana, Barbados, and St. Kitts, I guess I'll just have to try to make those stops on a future cruise, oh darn, another reason for another vacation!

This is great news! Thanks for posting!:D

I understand that a previous group of passegers on a NCL ship that missed ports due to mechanical failures resorted to creating a passenger driven meeting in the Theater. Might be an idea for all of you there.

So now you're trying to start a mutiny, and you're not even on the ship???

They are not in Egypt. They received 200.00 credit what more do you expect.

You don't recognize his posts? He wants NCL to take out full page ads in every newspaper around the world, every day for the rest of eternity, stating that they made a mistake in describing cabin 16029 on the EPIC as having walls instead of dividing curtains.

This, even though he never even set foot on the EPIC.

:confused:

We are also booked on the 2/25 sailing, and we may be in the minority too, but I agree with this poster, and would rather have the cruise cancelled. We would rebook the cruise next winter, with an 11-day itinerary and 2 more ports, and sail on a refurbed ship. But, I think we all know the reality here. If the Dawn can only limp from Miami to Fort Lauderdale in 9 days, then that's what she'll do. NCL will (understandably) do anything it can to avoid losing all these bookings.

I'm going to hope for the best. If she can leave the dock on the 25th, I'm sure we can all have a great time, regardless. (sure will miss Barbados, though)

2/25 isn't for another week. Why is everyone panicking?

NCL isn't necessarily sailing to "avoid losing bookings", she's sailing to keep 1500 crew employed, and to provide cruise vacations for some percentage of passengers who have inflexible work schedules, or who don't care about ports, etc.

There are far too many conspiracy theorists on these boards.... :eek:

Getting back to you...

The first post, which was not yours, has nothing to do with your statement that NCL "doesn't notify customers".

You didn't provide any clarification to your claim which is what is causing the confusion...not what the OP said.

NCL knew 2 days before the ship left that there was an additional engine problem (3 down to 2) and DIDN'T TELL ANYONE. That counts as not notifying customers in my book, but maybe not in yours. We can agree to disagree I guess.

We have just arrived in St. Thomas and it looks like a beautiful morning. We are much more go with the flow so have still had a great vacation despite the unexpected changes to the trip. The crew and service overall have been great, and the changes could have been much much worse in my opinion. St. Maarten is a beautiful island and had a great day at orient beach.

The Captain has just announced that the technical issue with the engine has been resolved, and therefore our time in St. Thomas has been extended until 5pm. We were originally scheduled to depart for Miami at 2pm. Hopefully this will be good news for those on the upcoming voyages!

As for missing Semana, Barbados, and St. Kitts, I guess I'll just have to try to make those stops on a future cruise, oh darn, another reason for another vacation!

What a great attitude!! Thanks for sharing with us!!!!

Jane

If I wanted an 4 port eastern caribbean or whatever usvi is considered that is what I would have booked. I didn't, I booked 5 port southern caribbean and thats what I want.

Then maybe you should be doing land vacations rather than cruising. When you book a cruise, you know thre is a chance that something could happen and your ports could be changed. In fact, you sign a contract that says you understand that. NCL has the right to change ports, and by signing you agree to that. If you want to be ALMOST guaranteed that you will get to the Southern Caribbean, then fly there.

Your statement has me a little confused. What do you mean by "doesn't notify customers"?

Let me explain why that confuses me:

Back in September of 2010, NCL was aware of the Dawn's engine problems. They also knew that the engine problems could not be properly addressed until drydock and that they would affect the scheduled itineraries (particularly the 9-day sailings).

At that time, NCL notified all of their guests about the Dawn's engine issues. An additional notification was also sent out to the travel agent community. There were threads here on Cruise Critic where this was discussed. Additionally, the information was posted to NCL's website.

It would seem to me that notifications have gone out...in many forms and for quite a bit of time. If a guest felt uneasy about the issue(s) or if they were looking forward to a particular port visit (as opposed to the cruise), perhaps they would be best served by switching to a different ship.

MY GROUP WAS NEVER NOTIFIED NOR WAS TOLD ANYTHING BY MY NCL AGENT. I BOOKED LAST JULY AND HAVE KEPT IN TOUCH WITH MY AGENT. HE STILL KNOWS NOTHING!

I am happy to be going on vacation but this is ridiculous to the point that if I had known I never would have booked my group on this boat! Now I am stuck explaining what is happening and going with the drifter dawn.

I have missed ports before for weather issues but in all my years of cruising never had such stress of lies.

Vacation is a priveligde not many people get and can afford, this is unaccepable on NCL. and I awlways thought NCl was the best cruise ship. maybe not.

MY GROUP WAS NEVER NOTIFIED NOR WAS TOLD ANYTHING BY MY NCL AGENT. I BOOKED LAST JULY AND HAVE KEPT IN TOUCH WITH MY AGENT. HE STILL KNOWS NOTHING!

I am happy to be going on vacation but this is ridiculous to the point that if I had known I never would have booked my group on this boat! Now I am stuck explaining what is happening and going with the drifter dawn.

I have missed ports before for weather issues but in all my years of cruising never had such stress of lies.

Vacation is a priveligde not many people get and can afford, this is unaccepable on NCL. and I awlways thought NCl was the best cruise ship. maybe not.

You mean, NCL, best cruiseLINE? ;)

Really, what lies might you be referring to?

PE

WOW I was getting ready to book my first NCL cruise now I have second thoughts maybe I should stay with CCL until they can fix the problem!!

IMG_3795.jpg

Don't worry about switching cruiselines this happens to carnival too. I was on the miracle without all the engines working and only got $30 OBC for a missed port I was looking forward too. Actual the last 3 cruises has changed it's itinerary on me and I only got port taxes for credit on them.

I am a person who picks a cruise for where it's taking me not the ship and it still never ruined any of my vacations.

Ats only follows ships in subscribing ports, so you may not be able to see your ship. Rosie O'donnel has her ship and apparently not helping or following her "SHIP". The Dawn is experiencing problems (engine) right now, sort of like Rosie's career.

What is it you think you have not been told?

Al

WOW I was getting ready to book my first NCL cruise now I have second thoughts maybe I should stay with CCL until they can fix the problem!!

You are aware that mechanical issues can happen on all ships with any cruise line, right???????

Oh, and go ask on the CCL boards...they'll tell you that CCL doesn't give $100 for each missed port.

We sailed Jan 28th and received notice of the engine problems via email on Sept 20th and 3 days later received a hard copy of the adjustment to our itenerary. We were given a choice at that point to cancel and rebook or keep the sailing. We chose to keep the sailing the same and had a great time, glad we did

I was the one who informed my PCC about the change notice he didnt even know about. Dont blame the PCC's for the lack of information that filters down to them. They just received notification today about what was going on onboard the ship, so unless the are glued to CC they are only told what the higher ups want them to know and when.

Many of you are so in the bag for NCL it's kind of amusing. :D Talk about sucking up...geez....

To read all these posts saying how NCL had no responsibility to it's current or future passengers is pretty lame. I do feel they had a responsibility to tell them. If it happes AFTER you are on the ship then they would be forgiven. This was just greed. And yeah, sure, I believe they are trying to get it fixed. They are losing money on all those lost excursion fees. I also feel people do plan trips based on ports. Have been looking at an Eastern Med cruise and would be rather disappointed if it didn't make the ports. Also, and especially out in wide open waters, I would really prefer to know if my ship was only running on 2 of 5 engines. That would actually make me quite nervous. Sure the $200 on board credit is great for those who can use the alchohol to pass the time, great, but I can understand, and side with, those who are really upset.

I love how people think there is an easy 'fix' to everything.

Seriously....do a search on these boards and see how often things like this occur on every cruise line and how each of them handle it. If you don't like what you find and if you can't stand the risk, then you have no business cruising.

My parents are currently on the February 11th sailing of the Norwegian Dawn and I have heard disturbing reports from them.

First, while still in the Miami port, the passengers were informed that they would not be able to make their first port of Samana due to "minor engine problems." Of course this was the only port that my parents had pre-booked an excursion at.

Next, even with skipping Samana, the ship arrived two hours late to the next port in Tortola (so they were only there for about 7 hours). Engine repairs were done, but apparently not very well. The top speed of the boat was 17 knotts and evidently two of the four engines are dead. The ship arrived as scheduled in St.John's, Antigua were engine repairs were attempted for the second time. Unfortunately these were also unsuccessful and the final two ports (Bridgetown, Barbados and Basseterre, Saint Kitts- Nevis) were cancelled and the boat was rescheduled at two different ports (St. Martin & St. Thomas). Instead of the pricy southern Carribean Cruise my parents purchased, they were given a much cheaper eastern Carribean Cruise.

The boat only arrived at two of the five ports scheduled, being two hours late to one of them! In my opinion, as well as that of most of the passengers my parents have talked to, this is completely unacceptable. Slight problems are understandable, but completely skipping three of five ports is not a minor problem.

The only positive thing I have heard is that the crew are doing their best- the food is great, the service is excellent. This does not, however, make up for the complete mess that the rest of the cruise has been.

Archived