NCL Dawn limping from port to port

bigtree01

If this keeps up the cruise industry which IMO is way over built is in for a very large shock. In spite of what I read on these posts the American public will smite them with their $$$ and spend them somewhere else. The cruise line will have only themselves to blame.

And perhaps we'll see a re-birth of the REAL hospitality industry, instead of the caricature it has become.

Hard to blame the cruise lines though. At least here in America, everything has to be cheap-Cheap-CHEAP!!!!!!! 5 star service at Walmart prices is just about impossible.

As long as cruising prices stay low, and a large market of new cruisers are available, don't expect much loyalty from the line to the customer.

Just "modern" business in the Baby boomer run business world.

Globaliser:

You will find that NCL is one of the few cruise lines that sneaks in its U.S. contract on its European website.

Those are not the booking conditions valid in the EU, but rather the standard U.S. contract that purports to exonerate them from everything.

We were on the Gem last year and two ports were cancelled also due to a ship-related repair incident, not weather.

The same story was given onboard (we are not responsible for anything, etc. here is your shipboard credit to make up for the missed ports, etc.).

When we returned home to Spain, our travel agency in Madrid filed a claim with NCL's EU office (located in Germany).

We received 50% off the cruise in cash, plus a future cruise certificate valid up to two years for 50% off another cruise.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Globaliser:

You will find that NCL is one of the few cruise lines that sneaks in its U.S. contract on its European website.

Those are not the booking conditions valid in the EU, but rather the standard U.S. contract that purports to exonerate them from everything.

The RCI UK website includes these:-

5.4 What about advanced or delayed sailings and changes in the itinerary?

We regret we cannot guarantee that ships will call at every advertised port or follow every part of the itinerary. Itineraries may change from time to time, both before and after your sailing departs. Royal Caribbean International and the Master of the ship have the right to omit or substitute any port(s), call at any additional port(s), vary the order of call for ports, change the time of arrival at, departure from or time spent at any port of call, deviate from the advertised itinerary in any way or substitute another ship. Where possible, you will be advised of any significant changes to your confirmed itinerary before departure from the UK – see clause 5.5. Changes to the last confirmed itinerary for your cruise may become necessary after you have departed from the UK for a variety of reasons such as prevailing weather and sea conditions, guest emergencies, providing assistance to other vessels and the ship being unable to operate at its normal speed(s) due to unexpected mechanical or technical problems. We will of course do our best to avoid any changes which will have a significant detrimental effect on your last confirmed itinerary. However, we cannot accept any liability in respect of any changes which result from circumstances outside our control (see clause 5.10) or which do not have a significant detrimental effect.

5.10 What about circumstances which are outside your control?

Except where we specifically say otherwise in these terms and conditions, we cannot accept any liability or pay any compensation where your holiday and/or any other services we have promised to arrange or provide cannot be provided at all, or as promised or you otherwise suffer any damage or loss (as more fully described in clause 5.7 above) as a result of circumstances which are outside our control (‘force majeure’). When we talk about circumstances which are outside our control, we mean any event which we or the supplier of the service in question could not have predicted or avoided eve after taking all reasonable care. Such events are likely to include war or threat of war, acts of terrorists or threats of such acts, riots or civil unrest, industrial action, natural or nuclear disaster, fire, adverse weather conditions, health risks, epidemics, mechanical difficulties (which we could not have anticipated or avoided despite our normal comprehensive mechanical checks) and all similar circumstances which are outside our control.

The RCI Germany website includes these:-
6. Leistungsänderungen

6.1 Änderungen wesentlicher Reiseleistungen von dem vereinbarten Inhalt des Reisevertrages, die nach Vertragsabschluss notwendig werden und von Royal Caribbean nicht wider Treu und Glauben herbeigeführt wurden, sind gestattet, soweit die Änderungen nicht erheblich sind und den Gesamtzuschnitt der Reise nicht beeinträchtigen. Royal Caribbean wird den Kunden über wesentliche Leistungsänderungen unverzüglich nach Kenntnis von dem Änderungsgrund informieren. Im Falle einer erheblichen Änderung einer wesentlichen Reiseleistung ist der Kunde berechtigt, unverzüglich unentgeltlich vom Reisevertrag zurückzutreten oder die Teilnahme an einer mindestens gleichwertigen Reise zu verlangen, wenn Royal Caribbean in der Lage ist, eine solche Reise ohne Mehrpreis für den Kunden aus seinem Angebot anzubieten.

6.2 Über notwendig werdende Änderungen der Fahrtzeiten und/oder der Routen der Kreuzfahrt, z. B. aus Sicherheits- oder Witterungsgründen, entscheidet allein der für das Schiff verantwortliche Kapitän. Ist ein Anreise- oder Abreiseflug Leistungsbestandteil der Kreuzfahrtreise, können im Falle der Absage eines Linienfluges oder der Nichteinhaltung des Flugplans durch die Fluggesellschaft ein Wechsel der Fluggesellschaft, des Fluggeräts oder des Abflug- bzw. Rückkehrflughafens erforderlich werden. Aus diesen oder vergleichbaren Gründen bleibt ein solcher Wechsel/Abänderung ausdrücklich vorbehalten.

The Princess UK website has a similar provision, but for the usual reason I can't get to any other country.

So whatever the true effect of these clauses (and their interrelationship with the EU Package Travel Regulation), it is not true to say that NCL is unusual in including these provisions.

If this keeps up the cruise industry which IMO is way over built is in for a very large shock. In spite of what I read on these posts the American public will smite them with their $$$ and spend them somewhere else. The cruise line will have only themselves to blame.

Personally I'm not much in to smitting, but should the cruise lines become smitten, or would it be "get smitted":confused:, market forces will dictate lower pricing in order to fill the ships, and I do love cruising, especially at bargain prices.:D

And the answer to your question is still the same: NCL would sell 100% of the cruises they sell today, because that is exactly what NCL already tells you when you book.

I agree with you 100%

I think the issue is that some folks don't know what they're buying.......:confused:

I have two cruises booked for 2012 that do not include the Caribbean.

The first to Hawaii rt from San Diego.

I totally understand that there is always a possibility that I will miss a port..or two or even more. I already have 8 sea days scheduled for this cruise and could possibly wind up with even more if there were any issues.

Would it suck? Yeah, for a minute but I'd get over it because I understand the risk. I know that going in and it makes it easier to deal with it.

I also have a cruise to Bermuda booked on the Dawn for 2012. Hopefully she'll be having no maintenence issues then, but sailing to Bermuda is ALWAYS risky because prime time in Bermuda (summer) is hurricane season and I'm going at the top of hurricane season in the month of Sept.

I just may wind up cruising to New England/Canada and wind up docked in Portland Maine, 20 miles from my house.

I understand and accept this risk. I love to cruise and the risk to me is acceptable.

The risks are there...there is no denying it.

Are people expecting 100% guarantee...or is it that they want more compensation for missed ports?? :confused:

It seems to me you pay for meals/entertainment/service when you purchase a cruise. You still get all this when you miss a port.

Are you supposed to still eat all day, see shows, have service yet get refunded the cost of an entire day of your sailing because you missed one port?? Is that what people expect??...two days worth of fare refunded if you miss two ports??

Is that a real expectation???

i have been searching for a cruise that will stop @ Cozumel on Dec. 21 2012, so we can be at the Mayan Ruins for the 'end of the calendar'. found one with the NCL Dawn and booked it. So if it misses the port?, I should have booked a all-inclusive at Cancun instead. I did not realize cruise lines miss that many portws of call. would you still cruise or try to cancel?

mike

i have been searching for a cruise that will stop @ Cozumel on Dec. 21 2012, so we can be at the Mayan Ruins for the 'end of the calendar'. found one with the NCL Dawn and booked it. So if it misses the port?, I should have booked a all-inclusive at Cancun instead. I did not realize cruise lines miss that many portws of call. would you still cruise or try to cancel?

mike

Wow....If I were you (and I love cruising more than anything) I would cancel and fly to Mexico.

If you are going to Mexico specifically to be there for that reason, then it's not worth the risk in my opinion.

Spending a week in Mexico is awesome anyway...been there, done that and would do it again...not in Cancun maybe...but Cozumel or Isla Mujeres or even Tulum!!

I also would look into booking a hotel now. I imagine there may be a LOT of other people who'd like to be in Mexico at that time as well.

:)

Good luck!!

Trip Advisor is a great source to figure out where is best to stay :)

If you won't be disappointed to miss the Mayan ruins that day, then you should still cruise.

But if you really absolutely have to be there that day because of its special significance, you should definitely cancel and go there directly.

Cruising is not good if you must be at a specific place at a specific time. I've learned through missing many ports that it can be unreliable - cruise ships are a great way to have a holiday, but a lousy way of effecting time-critical travel.

Then perhaps you should re-read the post. My comment is referring to the posters assertion that the cruise line would sell %100 of the cruise they currently sell. And yes I can attest to the FACT that I would not purchase a cruise if it was sold under the presumption that the ports were a"hope" not an expectation.

For every person who "won't cruise that line again", there is someone who will take their place and love it.

As long as the cruise lines provide reasonable service and rates, they will sail full.

Yes -- They will sell 100 percent of what they sell now, or more because NCL has two new ships coming on line in the near future. Cruising is here to stay !!!

LOL, Are you kidding me?

How many cruises do you think they would sell with the Mantra " NCL Hopes to make X,X,X ports but dont Expect it"

NCL would sell 100% of the cruises they sell today, because that is exactly what NCL already tells you when you book.

I'm very sorry if there are any CC members who have hitherto been under a misunderstanding about what they're buying when they book a cruise.

I'm particularly sorry for those who - now that they know it - don't think it's good enough for the cruise line to say that its itineraries are a statement of hope and not expectation, who therefore won't buy the product, and who will thus never set foot on a cruise ship again.

mike

There is certainly a risk, but you have to weigh it against the risks of flying in December. I have no numbers so I could be totally wrong, but my guess is that flights get delayed and cancelled more often than ports are missed. (anyone seen stats?) There is never a guarantee you'll be in a certain place at a certain time. But, yes, in your case, where that is the reason you are going, I might fly and stay there. And since I don't know where you live, with cruising you might be combining two risks - cruising and flying - into the timing mix.

Having said all that, do I think it is a big risk? No. Recent experiences and threads like these are blowing things out of perspective. Some ports are missed more often than others because of weather issues (like Great Stirrup Caye). Do some research and weigh the percentages.

A friend of mine owns an indoor rock climbing business. All of his customers must sign a waiver that they do not hold him liable for any injury, even if the the equipment is know to be defective and fails. Yet, he is required to have a large amount of liability insurance. So contracts are not the end all be all like people here want to believe.

A friend of mine owns an indoor rock climbing business. All of his customers must sign a waiver that they do not hold him liable for any injury, even if the the equipment is know to be defective and fails. Yet, he is required to have a large amount of liability insurance. So contracts are not the end all be all like people here want to believe.

True. Any release or waiver can be broken under the right circumstances. Your friend's insurance guards againsts such circumstances - it doesn't mean the waiver is easy to break or that it happens often. But, forgetting all the legal mumbo jumbo, a contract should at least manage expectations. That's what some of us are trying to say. To be shocked or to ignore a contract you entered freely doesn't make any sense.

We cruised on the NCL Dawn too. 2/11/11 to 2/20/11. This is the first time ever sailed with NCL. And what bigtree01 stated on 2/16/11 is exactly what happened and what we where told, right down to the letters we received too.

We picked this cruise/ship for the ports and don't feel very satisfied when we ended up at two ports that we've been to before. So we just ended up staying on the limping ship for 8 days of the 10 days. Also paid extra for a balcony to see the new ports and just saw the same ports/side of Oasis of the Seas in St. Thomas. If we had pick to return to these ports, we wouldn't have gotten a balcony. Also feel like we over paid for the cruise we got for the $3000.00 plus we spent.

Feel like we've been pirated at sea. And NCL hopefully will answer the written letters, about the dissatifaction of the cruise we ended up with. Hopefully the letters we write will help future cruisers, and they get to enjoy the vacation that they've paid for.

Also agree the customer relations onboard the Dawn where careless to our disappointments.

Good Luck to you all.

This sounds a lot like my cruise on the Dream a few years ago - collision at sea, missing the front end of our ship, engines stopped working - dead in the water somewhere near Cape Horn, missed ports, passengers up in arms, anchored at sea because we could not enter a port, lost power (lights, elevators, etc).

One of the best cruises we ever took!:D

My review of that trip:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=679082&highlight=sailorjack

We cruised on the NCL Dawn too. 2/11/11 to 2/20/11. This is the first time ever sailed with NCL. And what bigtree01 stated on 2/16/11 is exactly what happened and what we where told, right down to the letters we received too.

We picked this cruise/ship for the ports and don't feel very satisfied when we ended up at two ports that we've been to before. So we just ended up staying on the limping ship for 8 days of the 10 days. Also paid extra for a balcony to see the new ports and just saw the same ports/side of Oasis of the Seas in St. Thomas. If we had pick to return to these ports, we wouldn't have gotten a balcony. Also feel like we over paid for the cruise we got for the $3000.00 plus we spent.

Feel like we've been pirated at sea. And NCL hopefully will answer the written letters, about the dissatifaction of the cruise we ended up with. Hopefully the letters we write will help future cruisers, and they get to enjoy the vacation that they've paid for.

Also agree the customer relations onboard the Dawn where careless to our disappointments.

Good Luck to you all.

Well said!

Good Luck to you all.

This is a perfect example of a lack of understanding of how often this happens with ships. I think on half of my sailings we missed a port due to weather or something else. Even the giant Epic aborted a visit to Costa Maya because they didn't feel like bashing their $1B ship up against the concrete dock in the waves. The day we docked in Roatan at Coxen Hole no CCL corp ships visited the island due to unsafe conditions at Mahogany Bay (although the day was gorgeous)

If your destination is the most important thing, don't cruise. Simple as that. You certainly have a right to be disappointed, but feeling like NCL stole your money is misguided anger. To the previous poster who is going to see the mayan ruins at "end of calendar", cancel your cruise and fly in a few days earlier just in case there are flight issues. Cruise ships are NOT reliable forms of transportation to specific places at specific times.

This sounds a lot like my cruise on the Dream a few years ago - collision at sea, missing the front end of our ship, engines stopped working - dead in the water somewhere near Cape Horn, missed ports, passengers up in arms, anchored at sea because we could not enter a port, lost power (lights, elevators, etc).

One of the best cruises we ever took!:D

My review of that trip:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=679082&highlight=sailorjack

I have yet to finish this but I must say that you are for sure the kind of passenger I like to share a ship with.

Now...back to reading this fabulous tale! :)

. Cruise ships are NOT reliable forms of transportation to specific places at specific times.

I don't understand WHY people can't understand that....

Because they don't want to' date=' they believe if they whine about it enough they [b']hope[/b] they force the cruise lines to change.

PE

Well, until we can make ships mechanically indestructible and control the weather, it's not going to change. :) I guess the cruise lines could increase fares 50% and pay higher compensation for missed ports, but I'd rather that not happen since for me the ship IS the destination.

I have yet to finish this but I must say that you are for sure the kind of passenger I like to share a ship with.

Now...back to reading this fabulous tale! :)

Sailor Jack is the type of pax we should all cruise with. His cruise tales are nothing short of brilliant. Missed ports or not, he knows how to deal with things ... through his ever present humour!

BTW, when is your next cruise Jack? I've read everyone of your reviews at least twice. I'm ready for another one:D

Sailor Jack is the type of pax we should all cruise with. His cruise tales are nothing short of brilliant. Missed ports or not, he knows how to deal with things ... through his ever present humour!

BTW, when is your next cruise Jack? I've read everyone of your reviews at least twice. I'm ready for another one:D

Glad you enjoy the "reviews." My last review was a couple of weeks ago on the Crown Princess. If you haven't read it the link is in my signature.

Next cruise is on the Splendour of the Seas in May - a cruise in the eastern Med.

Archived