NCL Dawn limping from port to port

bigtree01

Dear mycruises002,

We want you to know how much your post has touched us. Our thoughts are with you. We can feel your disappointment and you reminded us of how blessed we are with our health. We want to thank you for that.

We also believe under the circumstanses, NCL may wish re-consider and take a closer look at your personal situation. Perhaps a letter from your doctor(s) to NCL may help you in giving you the cruise which you so richly deserve. Please don't give up.

Sincerely,

oldguysandgalls

PS.

On another note: We also like to take this opportunity and apologise to the entire board for some of our flippant comments earlier on. Unfortunately our enthusiasm for cruising has inadvertently offended others with our posts and for which we sincerely apologise.

Sincerely,

oldguysandgalls

Thank you. NCL stated they'll get back to me in 7 to 10 business days. Live, Love and Laugh and enjoy everyday to its fulliest.

Why should the Dawn not be sailing ? You have made the same statement several times without clarification. It is defititely not a safety issue, and mechanical problems can occur on any vehicle or ship at any time.

The previous posts have dispelled the rants that nobody was notified and NCL concealed the problems. Since that issue proved to be false accusations against NCL, what else is there ?

Are you aware that the Dawn arrived Georgetown on time and now on her way to Cozumel on time as of the last check I made.

Easy to answer.....

Dawn has been sailing with major engine problems for almost a year now. Cruises have been amended over and over. The New York passage was cut and then moved to the Carribean. Now Dawn cannot even make a carribean sailing without cancelling even more ports. You are asking me why? Hmmm.

I dont pick a cruise 100% for ports but they do play a major role on which cruise or ship you select. I can understand why people are upset. I am just surprised at some harsh comments for anyone that thinks people are complaining for no good reason.

Dawn has been sailing with major engine problems for almost a year now.
The long-standing engine problems have led to the itinerary being amended. As jla418 has posted, that was in good time for most people to decide whether they wanted to accept the amendment or not. So the existing problems and the current scheduled itinerary is simply the baseline.

jla418 has also demonstrated that the problem that cropped up on this cruise was unrelated to the long-standing problems. So it's in the same category as an unexpected breakdown.

Then the passengers appeared to have been offered the chance to cancel, knowing that the revised itinerary was based on the technical team fixing the new and unexpected problem. But the problem wasn't fixed in enough time to make the revised itinerary, so it was revised again.

So at what point should NCL have completely cancelled this sailing, with which many passengers appear to have been content?

I am just surprised at some harsh comments for anyone that thinks people are complaining for no good reason.
I thought the complaints were over the top before. Now that we have seen what was said on board, thanks to jla418, I'm reinforced in that view.

It's "over the top" that's the problem here.

Easy to answer.....

Dawn has been sailing with major engine problems for almost a year now. Cruises have been amended over and over. The New York passage was cut and then moved to the Carribean. Now Dawn cannot even make a carribean sailing without cancelling even more ports. You are asking me why? Hmmm.

I dont pick a cruise 100% for ports but they do play a major role on which cruise or ship you select. I can understand why people are upset. I am just surprised at some harsh comments for anyone that thinks people are complaining for no good reason.

Can you tell me where to find the information on cruises that have been amended due to engine problems ? I am unable to locate the file you refer to "cruises being amended over and over"

I am copying a portion of my post regarding the redundant power systems that show why the ship can operate at full speed and all accessories with one engine down.

The redundancy of the power systems allow sailing at full speed with all other systems working with three of the engines running. Therefore, it does not hinder the operation of the ship when one engine or generator fails. The available power with two of the engines down is not enough to run at full speed and power the other systems on the ship, but it is still safe.

I did locate a record of the electrical problem that incapacitated the Dawn on 11/9/09, but that was not related to the current issue.

You are an antagonistic, rude, pompous critic. You have done all you can do to ridicule anyone that has discussed their displeasure while on board the Norwegian Dawn during the Feb 11-20 cruise. You were not on this cruise nor have you ever sailed Norwegian. I believe that when I buy a cruise I should receive what I pay for. Period. I was no way trying to incite a class war with anyone. I believe if I work hard and save my money and try to get a luxury trip I should get what I paid for. If due to mechanical difficulties on the ship, which I believe NCL knew well in advance that our itinery would be changed then I should be compensated based on a percentage. Furthermore, while in St. Maarten, not an island we were scheduled based on what we paid for, an island jewelry shop KNEW one week in advance of our scheduled arrival on St. Maarten. They showed us a list of boats scheduled for that date. The date on the list was 2/9/11.

:(

I am currently onboard the Norwegian Dawn and writing to alert other future passengers of the problems we have encountered.

We sailed with two engines out.

They had one blow a piston months ago, and another failed during routine maintenance two days before this sailing.

They have announced that they have a crew aboard from the engine manufacturer working around the clock to fix the problem with the second engine failure, but to date they have had no success.

We had our first port canceled which they announced after sailing on the first day. To compensate we were given a $100.00 on board credit per stateroom.

We were informed by the Captian last night as dinner (by announcement) that they have not fixed the engine and as such we have to have our last two ports of call changed to St. Marteen and St. Thomas. To compensate we were given and additional $100 on board credit per stateroom and 10 percent off a future cruised if booked within 1 year.

We are being told by the onboard customer service reps that we will have to complain in writing to the corporate office if we are not happy with the current compensation of our ruined vacations.

2 of 5 ports is a 60 percent failure rate.

I sincerely hope anyone sailing with Norwegian on the Dawn on any upcoming cruise fairs better then we have.

Sincerely,

John Culbertson

on board the Dawn.

Sawonmv....It must have been a dreadful, simply dreadful experience for you to HAVE to share the ship with those "inside cabin" people.

CAPTAIN!!! Remove those "people" from the ship.....yes the ones in the SUITES.

Good Lord !

He's not taking it because accepting compensation effectively ends his right to sue for damages. Of course, suing will cost him $ and gain him nothing. He has no legal case.

I did try to refuse the obc. They refused to remove it from my account. As it's not about the money I guess it really doesn't matter either way. After the credit my bill was around $2500. I planned to spend a lot of money on board trying all the specialty restaurants, and wasn't deterred by the cover charges or drink prices. This was my first cruise and I planned on enjoying it to the fullest.

I will probably do the "all inclusive resort" next, and they maybe try cruising again with another cruise line.

And as to the "suing NCL", as far as you know I have no plans to sue anyone.

The reason I originally started the Dawn Alert post was to let the near future sailors know of a potential problem and give them time to adjust their shore excursions.

It's pretty simple. I booked a Southern Caribbean cruise because I wanted to go there. I didn't get what I paid for, so next time I will book with someone else. I filed a complaint letting them know my issue, and what they could do to keep a customer. I do not expect anything from them in reply.

:) I appreciate your Dawn alert. I do not appreciate the foul responses made from many critics especially oldguysandgalls ridiculous comments.

Good luck on your next all inclusive resort vacation, I think we may look into one as well.

All the best....:cool:

I did try to refuse the obc. They refused to remove it from my account. As it's not about the money I guess it really doesn't matter either way. After the credit my bill was around $2500. I planned to spend a lot of money on board trying all the specialty restaurants, and wasn't deterred by the cover charges or drink prices. This was my first cruise and I planned on enjoying it to the fullest.

I will probably do the "all inclusive resort" next, and they maybe try cruising again with another cruise line.

And as to the "suing NCL", as far as you know I have no plans to sue anyone.

The reason I originally started the Dawn Alert post was to let the near future sailors know of a potential problem and give them time to adjust their shore excursions.

It's pretty simple. I booked a Southern Caribbean cruise because I wanted to go there. I didn't get what I paid for, so next time I will book with someone else. I filed a complaint letting them know my issue, and what they could do to keep a customer. I do not expect anything from them in reply.

Just to clarify, I'm not wealthy or rich. I just planned for this vacation for a long time. I don't have a bunch of toys like motorcycles and snowmobiles. I don't have fancy cars or a mansion. I'm just a middle class guy that was treating myself and my wife to a well-deserved vacation after 21 years of marriage.

Sorry if my last post came off as snobbish.

I can't believe people are beating this dead horse to death. The Captain of a ship has total control over his vessel, where it goes, where it doesn't go, and works at the pleasure of the ship's owners. That is a undeniable fact, that applies to Noah, Capt. Smith (Titanic) and the current Capt. of the Dawn. Why can't you people get it? Passengers can claim this and that, praying for compensation, however the passengers on the Titanic would have more of a claim for any compensation than any of you aboard the Dawn. I've missed ports, and didn't whine. Just think, the passengers on the Titanic missed their main port, New York, and they didn't whine.

This concept of compensation should be for what? You missed ports because of what? Mechanical issues, earthquake, hurricane, what makes the difference. Did NCL not feed you? Did the booze run out? Did you not have a place to sleep? Where these things provided for the length of you stay on the ship?

Ship travel is ship travel, mechanical issues happen. You got from and to your destination in seven days, and actually had two stops. Get over it, suck it up, and enjoy what you had compared to staying home. It's easy to point fingers here, on line, but consider what good it will do you.

IMHO, missing ports may dimish your enjoyment of your curise just like having seven days of rain might dimish any other vacation you might take on land. The single difference is published itineraries. Has anyone here ever gotten a refund from a full inclusive because it rained?:confused:

Now can we get on with life as we know it!;)

You are an antagonistic, rude, pompous critic. You have done all you can do to ridicule anyone that has discussed their displeasure while on board the Norwegian Dawn during the Feb 11-20 cruise. You were not on this cruise nor have you ever sailed Norwegian. I believe that when I buy a cruise I should receive what I pay for. Period. I was no way trying to incite a class war with anyone. I believe if I work hard and save my money and try to get a luxury trip I should get what I paid for. If due to mechanical difficulties on the ship, which I believe NCL knew well in advance that our itinery would be changed then I should be compensated based on a percentage. Furthermore, while in St. Maarten, not an island we were scheduled based on what we paid for, an island jewelry shop KNEW one week in advance of our scheduled arrival on St. Maarten. They showed us a list of boats scheduled for that date. The date on the list was 2/9/11.

:(

OMG. :rolleyes:

Just to clarify, I'm not wealthy or rich. I just planned for this vacation for a long time. I don't have a bunch of toys like motorcycles and snowmobiles. I don't have fancy cars or a mansion. I'm just a middle class guy that was treating myself and my wife to a well-deserved vacation after 21 years of marriage.

Your post was not snobbish at all...I would suggest however that you look into cruising other lines before booking (do some research here) because you can run into this problem at any time on any ship...Carnival (for example) would not have given anyone $100 per missed port.

You also mentioned possibly looking into an All-Inclusive, I think that just may be better for you. I'm very sorry your cruise vacation did not live up to your expectations.

If, in the future you are putting your heart and soul into planning another vacation, do as much research ahead of time as possible. There are so many places on the internet to do this research. It could save you a lot of future disappointment.

Good luck to you :)

Big tree that post was not directed to you. I too have been saving for two plus years for a nice cruise. I was referring to someone who comment on my displeasure based on your first post.

I was commenting on guysandgalls rude post regarding my comment to bigtree. Please see previous posts.

Your post was not snobbish at all...I would suggest however that you look into cruising other lines before booking (do some research here) because you can run into this problem at any time on any ship...Carnival (for example) would not have given anyone $100 per missed port.

You also mentioned possibly looking into an All-Inclusive, I think that just may be better for you. I'm very sorry your cruise vacation did not live up to your expectations.

If, in the future you are putting your heart and soul into planning another vacation, do as much research ahead of time as possible. There are so many places on the internet to do this research. It could save you a lot of future disappointment.

It's pretty simple. I booked a Southern Caribbean cruise because I wanted to go there. I didn't get what I paid for, so next time I will book with someone else. .

But you do realize that "someone else" may not get to where you want to go either. It's been said numerous times that ships miss ports and alter iteneraries due to mechanical issues, weather, political unrest and other reasons. This is a chance you take when you cruise so if you have your heart set on a particular port try a land vacation

In 2001, while cruising on the legendary SS Norway (NCL), weather conditions were too dangerous to send out tenders to NCL's private island, Great Stirrup Cay. We were all hoping for the weather to improve but it was not meant to be and after a few hours of waiting and waiting, the SS Norway sailed on.

NCL was most gracious by hosting a free cocktail party for all passengers to make up for the missed island. It was quite the party. ;)

We believe it was that same evening, (we don't know if NCL still does this) that they served their famous "Presidents Dinner" in the dining room. All of the dishes, from appetizers to desserts, were dishes favoured by Past US Presidents and their First Ladies and named accordingly. We often talk about that evening. (unfortunately we misplaced the menu)

IMO, it is only relevant if the large number of posts by some is relevant. ;)

Not directed at Dutch; To the unhappy cruisers in general: Asking again (perhaps 5th time - I haven't counted), what compensation would have satisfied you? Not made you "happy" - I don't expect you to be happy that you missed ports you had planned for and been anxious for. But what would have satisfied you?

I would have replied to this question much sooner if able. I was traveling on the Dawn and purchased Internet time to research the last port of call, and didn't have enough time to read and keep up with this thread.

I will tell you that I wouldn't ever post here what I consider fair compensation. Not after the negativity of many poster that do not agree with my position, and the accusations of multiple accounts being added to enhance a position.

What I am asking for is between me and NCL. I have stated above that it's not about the money, and tried to refuse the $200 obc. I do not except to be fairly (my definition of fair) compensated by NCL and am fully expecting to take my business elsewhere.

I understand many of the points given here, both those that agree and those that disagree with me and even those that bring up entirely different points.

I truly appreciate the insight I am gaining by reading this thread.

I can't believe people are beating this dead horse to death. The Captain of a ship has total control over his vessel, where it goes, where it doesn't go, and works at the pleasure of the ship's owners. That is a undeniable fact, that applies to Noah, Capt. Smith (Titanic) and the current Capt. of the Dawn. Why can't you people get it? Passengers can claim this and that, praying for compensation, however the passengers on the Titanic would have more of a claim for any compensation than any of you aboard the Dawn. I've missed ports, and didn't whine. Just think, the passengers on the Titanic missed their main port, New York, and they didn't whine.

This concept of compensation should be for what? You missed ports because of what? Mechanical issues, earthquake, hurricane, what makes the difference. Did NCL not feed you? Did the booze run out? Did you not have a place to sleep? Where these things provided for the length of you stay on the ship?

Ship travel is ship travel, mechanical issues happen. You got from and to your destination in seven days, and actually had two stops. Get over it, suck it up, and enjoy what you had compared to staying home. It's easy to point fingers here, on line, but consider what good it will do you.

IMHO, missing ports may dimish your enjoyment of your curise just like having seven days of rain might dimish any other vacation you might take on land. The single difference is published itineraries. Has anyone here ever gotten a refund from a full inclusive because it rained?:confused:

Now can we get on with life as we know it!;)

I'm still getting caught up after traveling for two days to get home and I'm not trying to beat a dead horse. If you feel that I am please feel free to change the channel. You're doing a bit of whining yourself. BTW nice rant, feel better? I know I do.

Thanks. I wish I'd have read more of your post prior to sailing. I joined CC months ago, booked the cruise, and foolishly spend the time remaining researching the ports of call and in the cruise rollcall. I spend all day in front of a computer, so I try and limit my personal time in front of a computer.

I did get a day pass at an all inclusive at one of the ports and had a great time. I'm definately going to give that a shot. Never done one of those before either. (and yes it rained, and no I didn't expect a refund or an extra free drink because it rained, so I had two extra free drinks)

Big tree that post was not directed to you. I too have been saving for two plus years for a nice cruise. I was referring to someone who comment on my displeasure based on your first post.

I didn't post that comment on what you posted. We crossed posted so sorry if it looked like that. I was posting it to try and stave off the "get over it, suck up" comment that came directly after I finished posting it.

It's funny how people seem convinced that the cruiseline is hellbent on denying them their vacation.

It happens on so many threads.... 'we missed Great Stirrup Cay'. .... well, do you think NCL was happy that they sailed there, one of their money-making destinations, and not only couldn't get you onshore to spend money but also had to throw a cocktail party and refund port charges?

While there's no contractual OBLIGATION to reach any port, the cruiseline creates itineraries which it believes people might enjoy, and it makes best efforts UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES, to follow the itinerary although it reserves the right to alter the course, for any reason...WHATSOEVER.

No, I think that the main reason people will be upset with NCL after this, is when they realize that they have explicity agreed not to sue, and have explicitly agreed to have any issues resolved by arbitration....in Miami.

Someone said earlier that people would file suit in their local jurisdictions....maybe....but NCL just has to file a request for dismissal, pointing to the incorrect Venue, and the judge will close the case.

Why don't people read?

After calling the customer relations # for NCL and speaking to rep, was told I must write to NCL and either mail the letter or fax it. I feel like other cruisers that the best value for myself and my husband, was to see 5 different ports we never been to, in 9 days. And we really wanted to see the humpback whales and their babies in Samana. The monkey encounter in Barbados, Scenic Train ride in St. Kitts, etc. I'm worried to express why doing the cruise was best for us BECAUSE, some posters are cruel. They state that we want sympathy. This is not true. We booked this cruise in Jan. 2011 for the Feb. 11, 2011. Because that is the only way we can do this between, Liver Transplant Doctors and Liver bloodwork ups every two weeks, Lymphoma CT/PET Scans every 3 months, Diabetes Doctors visit every 3 months and eye doctor visit at Bascom Palmer for watching spot in eye turning into cancer, too every 4 months. So the cruise is really the only way we personally can give our gift to each other for Valentines day and Vacation the very most we could in 9 days for the most ports we could see and experience the most excursions. So we felt like the whole package was special choices for us. It would have been our best time enjoying something we really wanted, in over two years after overcoming such serious illnesses. Hopefully no one will post mean things about this post. We feel like our plans were ruined due to something NCL knew and hope we get a second chance to squeeze in this 9 day cruise next year and see the ports and whales/babies and monkeys, if serious health issues that we are already aware of doesn't stop us, from ever getting to. Posters please understand that everyone lives, plans, feels and hopes differently. I don't want to offend anyone anytime, if I can help it. We all live day to day, but some live seriously day to day like us.

I can totally sympathize with you as I underwent a double lung transplant last April. This cruise was our way of celebrating my gift of life. Previously, when we travelled, I did it on oxygen and I also had to ride a scooter. To be free of all that and to be back cruising again after three years was spectacular.

Sure we were disappointed that we missed a port and had two (that we had been to in the past many times) substituted, however, we felt that NCL did the best they could. In our opinion, we were compensated fairly and we have already started to look for our next cruise.

Whether or not I'll be well enough to go is another story as I have a number of complications from the anti rejection drugs I take but, we are remaining optimistic and celebrating each day to it's fullest.

All the best to you and your family.

Toni

I was quite surprised that the moderators have allowed this string to last so long, then I was impressed with their wisdom. They are allowing everyone to vent all of their vitriol so that when spring comes we can all go out at play nicely together.:)

...until the next ship has issues ;)

We agree with you sjbdtz.

We were very impressed with how NCL and the SS Norway handled our situation. They tried to tender us to Great Stirrup Cay but it was simply too dangerous. We believe they made the right call by putting the safety of their passengers first.

The cocktail party afterwards was a very generous gesture on the part of NCL and icing on the cake. We had a wonderful time, thank you NCL.

It's funny how people seem convinced that the cruiseline is hellbent on denying them their vacation.

It happens on so many threads.... 'we missed Great Stirrup Cay'. .... well, do you think NCL was happy that they sailed there, one of their money-making destinations, and not only couldn't get you onshore to spend money but also had to throw a cocktail party and refund port charges?

While there's no contractual OBLIGATION to reach any port, the cruiseline creates itineraries which it believes people might enjoy, and it makes best efforts UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES, to follow the itinerary although it reserves the right to alter the course, for any reason...WHATSOEVER.

No, I think that the main reason people will be upset with NCL after this, is when they realize that they have explicity agreed not to sue, and have explicitly agreed to have any issues resolved by arbitration....in Miami.

Someone said earlier that people would file suit in their local jurisdictions....maybe....but NCL just has to file a request for dismissal, pointing to the incorrect Venue, and the judge will close the case.

Why don't people read?

I think that what people miss is jsut how disappointing it is NOT to have the cruise that you dreamed of having--and so people need to vent--and they come on here--but they encounter a bunch of people who would love to be on a cruise ship going anywhere (or nowhere for that matter!) Frankly, what this person experienced is a lot more than missing a jaunt out to GSC. The essence of the cruise was missed.

That said, legally and from the contractual perspective--it is one of the things that if you are going to cruise you just have to roll wtih.

Our family took a Disney cruise--extremely expensive--had a balcony room. The weather prevented us from going to ANY of the planned ports--we got one substitute (Key West) that had nothing for kids. I had NO DESIRE to go to Key West. We got NOTHING in the form of compensation. In fact, it didn't even occur to me to ask. I was so imrpessed with all the extra hard work the crew was doing because things were not going well. Not even one free drink. But looking back--it was still a wonderful time--an experience my children continue to talk about.

Archived