Live from the Pearl

Dizziedi

Hi everyone,

Sadly, the Pearl is not good (want to get off actually). We are still hopeful of good things BUT!

Cabin/Mini-Suites:

Brochures are completely incorrect/misleading. The balcony is miniscule and wouldn't fit sun lounges on for a kick-off. The air-conditioning doesn't seem to be working today. The toilet didn't flush but have had that fixed. Striped carpet which is quite nauseating. The mini-suite is nothing more than a balcony cabin - do not pay the extra. Bed is comfortable:).

We were kept awake last night by the thumping from people dancing on the deck above us. We were then woken by chairs being dragged across the deck:mad::mad:

Food/Restaurants:

Plantation restaurant looks like a Coles Cafeteria so have not been there - rumour has it that the food hasn't changed. We have dined in the Waterfront each time but as news travels that it is the better of the two, numbers have increased and bookings are (almost) required. Food in the Waterfront is okay. Nothing is really hot.

Luke Mangan's restaurant however is great. We went there last night and it was well worth the money. Will frequent that.

Bars/Entertainment:

Bars are quite nice. Dome is good (at least through the day). Trivia has been good except for the sports trivia - the host's English is very poor to say the least.

Was advised this morning that we were supposed to have been compensated for things 'printed in the brochure' not existing. Chinese rumours are that the brochures were printed before the ship was even bought:confused:.

As you know I had organised for a wine and champagne package to be delivered to our cabin prior to us boarding. After 5 calls to Reception, enquiring as to when it would be delivered, I telephoned P&O. P&O all of a sudden decided that the alcohol would need to be delivered to the restaurant. They are going to follow up the recordings when I get back. Meanwhile the Hotel Manager delivered the wine/champagne to us as a gesture of Goodwill. Whilst I'm thankful, there shouldn't be any goodwill involved. I ordered and paid for it to be delivered to the cabin, end of!

I have been told that it is all about RSA. Well, please explain why Yobbos can walk around the ship with schooners of beer, cans of beer, glasses of wine. Drunk and in front of children - great RSA:rolleyes:.

Yes, the ship was late leaving with no advice as to why. Nonetheless, we did get away with a very smooth first night which was good. The Captain is currently checking the weather report (urgently) and will report back to us at midday - sounds ominous:eek:.

One plus is that we have met some nice people aboard.

Will check back hopefully with a better report.

Can you please tell me what cabin number you were in?

How much you paid for a bottle of wine?

How do you arrange to have a package of wine delivered to your cabin if you have a mini suite. When I booked our cruise it was being advertised as a suite! Are we in for nasty surprises?

Cheers

Val

I believe that some of the problem lies with people's expectations. We spent the week on Queen Mary 2 last week - it was one of the best weeks of my life. An absolutely magnificent vessel, beautiful decor. However, I did hear people (who were not experienced cruisers) complaining that it did not live up to their expectations and they were "disappointed" . SIGH!

Barry

Firstly, for those who think we are first time cruisers, WRONG!!!! Just first time on P&O.

To the person who asked what cabin we were in - 11134. The noise above was nothing short of appalling (thumping from people dancing/running, people playing table-tennis, dragging chairs across the deck (all after midnight); the dragging of chairs commenced again at 7.00am - something I will be following up after having made numerous complaints about whilst on board. We actually received a call offering an inside cabin - offensive:mad:. Each person we spoke to in a mini-suite was upset about the noise above. Each person was upset that the brochures were misleading in respect to the balconies (amongst other things) but that is the one I will be pursuing. One couple we played trivia with had actually written to P&O regarding same.

TOILETS are an ongoing problem. We had problems with our toilet flushing - it simply didn't and was fixed temporarily. On the second occasion, we had to get up at 6.00am, get dressed, catch a lift to a floor we knew there was a toilet on - unacceptable.

Needless to say, I expect the toilets to be in working order! I don't expect P&O to start drilling us at Muster time to 'if you didn't eat it or drink it, don't flush it' especially as 'we' knew prior to embarkation that they had a 'toilet' problem. Again, unacceptable.

Rumours were rife on disembarkation that toilets were overflowing into the Marquee Lounge - we didn't hang around long enough to find out; we just wanted to disembark and get home.

There were way too many school kids on board and the vast majority were unsupervised. At one stage we thought we might attend the Kids Club as there weren't any in there! There were kids turning up in the Waterfront Restaurant after 8.00pm.

As far as Ilai(?) is concerned - he was the Sports Trivia host - and yes, a very nice person, as was each trivia host and there I agree with CruiseW827 but that's about where it ends - our expectations of food are that it will be hot and the Pacific Pearl fell very short of that expectation which we believe is an ongoing problem.

The food was warm at best in the Waterfront Restaurant. Breakfast in the Plantation Restaurant was passable, the rest was not. I don't know what people accept as good but that was not. Food in the Salt Grill was excellent.

As far as wine is concerned, it depends on what you want but the wine list is pretty good but let me know what you want and I'll give you an idea. In the meantime, most of the (bottled) wines we had ranged between $46 and $66 each. I think a reasonable glass of wine was about $9. Tony thought they had a good range of beers. Whilst the wine is no doubt overpriced, we didn't think it was too high.

Entertainment was probably amongst the best we have seen on cruise ships - except for the amount of kids (who should have been at school) dominating adults seats (even in the 9.30pm shows).

Once again, the Captain is an asset to P&O. Unfortunately on the last sea day, he had to announce that we were in for bad weather again. Happily, the bad weather didn't last too long and smooth seas eventuated for our arrival in Sydney.

All in all, we met some great people at trivia whom we teamed up with for the whole cruise and dined and toured with them. The other couples (as did many others we spoke to on excursions - some whom were first time cruisers) found the ship as we did and as far as others opinons are concerned, I could say more, but won't except to say that they will probably continue to cruise P&O and we won't.

Cheers,

Di

Bloody hell Dizziedi, your review has freaked me out! Have only just paid our full fare, if only I had read this first I think I might have cancelled. My husband was reluctant to do the cruise we have booked, I am now extremely fearful that he is going to give me hell!! Am I in for 15 nights of pure agony and no show of ever going again on another cruise. We have sailed P & O in 2004, 2005, and also sailed Princess and HAL. So we already know that they are not in the same class as the latter! However we have enjoyed sailing with a bunch of Kiwis and Aussies for a change! I also thought a wee ride from Auckland to North Queensland and back would be very nice in late May!

It is the price of the alcohol that is bothering me even $9 a glass at exchange rate is way over the top, remember we will be spending NZD......................that is enough to bankrupt. Thinking maybe we will need to smuggle a bit on board, specially as when I booked they were selling the mini-suites as suites! Then we had a letter reversing that but just a little. I will be taking that letter with me to make sure I receive their promises such as free laundry. Did you receive this?

One or two other things I would like to know did you have to pay for room service in the mini suite as I have noted that this is not mentioned in their cabin spiel!

Cheers Val

patch@talk.co.nz

PS Maybe you might be kind enough to email me.

Firstly, for those who think we are first time cruisers, WRONG!!!! Just first time on P&O.

To the person who asked what cabin we were in - 11134. The noise above was nothing short of appalling (thumping from people dancing/running, people playing table-tennis, dragging chairs across the deck (all after midnight); the dragging of chairs commenced again at 7.00am - something I will be following up after having made numerous complaints about whilst on board. We actually received a call offering an inside cabin - offensive:mad:. Each person we spoke to in a mini-suite was upset about the noise above. Each person was upset that the brochures were misleading in respect to the balconies (amongst other things) but that is the one I will be pursuing. One couple we played trivia with had actually written to P&O regarding same.

TOILETS are an ongoing problem. We had problems with our toilet flushing - it simply didn't and was fixed temporarily. On the second occasion, we had to get up at 6.00am, get dressed, catch a lift to a floor we knew there was a toilet on - unacceptable.

Needless to say, I expect the toilets to be in working order! I don't expect P&O to start drilling us at Muster time to 'if you didn't eat it or drink it, don't flush it' especially as 'we' knew prior to embarkation that they had a 'toilet' problem. Again, unacceptable.

Rumours were rife on disembarkation that toilets were overflowing into the Marquee Lounge - we didn't hang around long enough to find out; we just wanted to disembark and get home.

There were way too many school kids on board and the vast majority were unsupervised. At one stage we thought we might attend the Kids Club as there weren't any in there! There were kids turning up in the Waterfront Restaurant after 8.00pm.

As far as Ilai(?) is concerned - he was the Sports Trivia host - and yes, a very nice person, as was each trivia host and there I agree with CruiseW827 but that's about where it ends - our expectations of food are that it will be hot and the Pacific Pearl fell very short of that expectation which we believe is an ongoing problem.

The food was warm at best in the Waterfront Restaurant. Breakfast in the Plantation Restaurant was passable, the rest was not. I don't know what people accept as good but that was not. Food in the Salt Grill was excellent.

As far as wine is concerned, it depends on what you want but the wine list is pretty good but let me know what you want and I'll give you an idea. In the meantime, most of the (bottled) wines we had ranged between $46 and $66 each. I think a reasonable glass of wine was about $9. Tony thought they had a good range of beers. Whilst the wine is no doubt overpriced, we didn't think it was too high.

Entertainment was probably amongst the best we have seen on cruise ships - except for the amount of kids (who should have been at school) dominating adults seats (even in the 9.30pm shows).

Once again, the Captain is an asset to P&O. Unfortunately on the last sea day, he had to announce that we were in for bad weather again. Happily, the bad weather didn't last too long and smooth seas eventuated for our arrival in Sydney.

All in all, we met some great people at trivia whom we teamed up with for the whole cruise and dined and toured with them. The other couples (as did many others we spoke to on excursions - some whom were first time cruisers) found the ship as we did and as far as others opinons are concerned, I could say more, but won't except to say that they will probably continue to cruise P&O and we won't.

Cheers,

Di

Hi Chivalrygirl - I will email you later today but in the meantime, no they offered us nothing except of course an inside cabin. I have printed a picture of their cabin layout which includes the sunlounges on the balcony from the P&O website. The fineprint actually refers to cabin layout, not inclusions.

Despite P&O, we did have a good time with some great people we met. It has left us with a sour taste in regard to cruising but will have to (and will) get over it quick smart because we are on the Rhapsody in NZ for 3 weeks for the RWC in October.

As far as room service charges are concerned, they charged. We had breakfast sent down twice - toast and a pot of tea (there wasn't much else). The second time I had to request plates to put the toast on. There was no charge for the food however if you wanted sandwiches or something of the like, they were about $8 or $9 plus the room service charge (I think it was $3 but I would have to check the account).

I'll see if I can find the account, scan it in and email it to you. That will give you an idea of the cost. The only thing you get in the mini-suite that comes to mind is canapes on cocktail evenings. Actually, you do get preferred check-in/check-out but you won't get preferred Tender tickets.

Someone else asked about buying the wine package pre-cruise. I think I commented on this point earlier. If I didn't, then don't do it, it's not worth the exercise as the crew will tell you it has to go to the restaurant. I had to fight like blazes to have it delivered to the room, in accordance with the agreement made with P&O pre-cruise.

Cheers

Di

Hi Di,

Sorry the cruise was not was should have been expected especially when you pay for a suite! I know you had many doubts prior to leaving, I was just hoping for your sake plus Tonys that it would turn out okay. Fancy offering someone that has paid for a suite an inside cabin....seems hard to believe that they would even consider that you would take that option.

Hope the break was okay regardless.

Cheryle

I wonder,Di, if we were on the same ship. We did the cruise Immediately before yours, but came home with quite a different view of the ship.

Yes, we also heard passengers in the suites grumbling about the early morning noise. Apart from that we didn't hear many reports of problems at all. The major problem was the tendering(or lack of). It was abysmal,with the tenders breaking down, You commented on a 2 and a half hour wait. Try up to 4 hours at Wala.

The rest of the ship we found very pleasant, and we thoroughly. Enjoyed ourselves.

We had no problem with cabin noise at all, even though we were on deck 5, very near the Atrium ( cabin 5144 ) Didn't even hear the laser show, which can be noisy.

We are very frequent cruisers, and were very satisfied when we came home.

Macrobbo.

Just goes to show that it is a good idea to have a close look at wherever you choose a cabin - and consider what is above you. I have heard of this before (noise from above decks) in other ships. On QM2, there are signs on the upper decks asking passengers not to "jog" until a certain AM hour.

Doesn't affect us much - we always buy a "guarantee" inside and hope for the best. Of 8 cruises so far, we have been upgraded 8 times. Works for us ;)

Barry

Just goes to show that it is a good idea to have a close look at wherever you choose a cabin - and consider what is above you. I have heard of this before (noise from above decks) in other ships. On QM2, there are signs on the upper decks asking passengers not to "jog" until a certain AM hour.

Doesn't affect us much - we always buy a "guarantee" inside and hope for the best. Of 8 cruises so far, we have been upgraded 8 times. Works for us ;)

Barry

Glad it works for you Barry - we enjoy life on a balcony so we pay the extra for a suite or on this particular occasion, a mini-suite (no suites on Pearl). We do seriously consider what is above us but the fact remains that in this case in particular, the noise was excessive - get it?

Cheers,

Di

I wonder,Di, if we were on the same ship. We did the cruise Immediately before yours, but came home with quite a different view of the ship.

Yes, we also heard passengers in the suites grumbling about the early morning noise. Apart from that we didn't hear many reports of problems at all. The major problem was the tendering(or lack of). It was abysmal,with the tenders breaking down, You commented on a 2 and a half hour wait. Try up to 4 hours at Wala.

The rest of the ship we found very pleasant, and we thoroughly. Enjoyed ourselves.

We had no problem with cabin noise at all, even though we were on deck 5, very near the Atrium ( cabin 5144 ) Didn't even hear the laser show, which can be noisy.

We are very frequent cruisers, and were very satisfied when we came home.

Macrobbo.

Macrobbo, as you were on Deck 5, I don't really think you can comment about the noise that we in the in the suites grumbled about. Perhaps if you had paid the same money, you might have grumbled too.

The tenders were a joke - I wasn't aware I had commented on that but this site is so slow at the moment, I can't be bothered going back to look. Suffice to say, they need to put more tenders on. One of the tenders actually broke down.

As 'very frequent cruisers' it's interesting that you have finally found Cruise Critic - Post number 1 I see.

In the meantime, glad to see you had a good time - we did too, despite the noise, etc, etc, but if that's what you like, then sobeit and happy cruising;)

Cheers

Di

Thanks for the honest feedback Di, I appreciate it :D

As we only have two ports, one a tender and only 7 days I'm not that worried. I'll make sure I go to the toilet before I get onboard :p I don't drink and I'm not in a mini so I'm safe there :D

Seriously thanks for your feedback. I'm looking forward to it for the very reason I know I will have fun, no matter what the conditions and especially meeting up with some new friends.

It's no secret I think the food on P&O sux from my one previous experience on the Jewel. and the tender was also slow......so I agree wholeheartedly and I've developed a thick skin to deflect the people who don't agree :p!

I will put my two cents worth in :D We have been on quite a few cruises and you can guarantee you will always find people who moan and groan about everything, of cause there will always be small things go wrong, but that will happen on any holiday anyone goes on. Once we were on Pacific Dawn and the toilets were out from midnight thru to 6am, who really cares, it obviously needed to happen to repair whatever was wrong, people whinged and moaned for days about that. Then we had to stay in Noumea an extra day so something could be repaired and we missed out on IOP because of this, again, people were horrified and anyone would think the world was about to end:eek: Any holiday where you dont have to cook, housework, work etc...is great and no complaints will be heard from me. Staff on cruise lines are always so friendly and lovely as well, I think that is a big part of it for me. Meeting new people and life long friends is also something that happens on a cruise, moreso that if you just holidayed at a resort or similar. All I can say is if you are lucky enough to be able to go on a cruise(or any holiday) , there is something in itself. We should make the most of it and I dont believe in a bad cruise, unless you make it bad yourself. There are so many sad things happen in this world to people that dont deserve, that listening to some peoples trivial complaints make me a bit cross as at least they are able to cruise/holiday, many people do not and will not ever get a chance. Fiona :) p.s We are off on the Pearl next month, and soo looking forward to...one because we havent been on Pearl before and two because we are going with lovely people who we met on a previous cruise and yes, you too Debsta and three... no cooking, no housework, no work...yay......

hi Di, sorry you didnt enjoy your cruise but there's not much they can do about the noise on the main deck without roping off the whole area but i dont think they will do that.....they have to consider the smokers but the staff start doing their job washing down the decks early and they seem to make a noise moving tables

bob

hi Di, sorry you didnt enjoy your cruise but there's not much they can do about the noise on the main deck without roping off the whole area but i dont think they will do that.....they have to consider the smokers but the staff start doing their job washing down the decks early and they seem to make a noise moving tables

bob

Hi,

On our NYE cruise 08/09 on the Pacific Dawn they actually did rope off some of the smokers deck area from about 10pm at night. It was because the people underneath complianed about the noise.

Unfortunately for them, word got around and some people (not me) took great delight in stomping their feet loudly in that section and running away. I'm not agreeing with that behaviour, just saying.:)

Deidre.

It sounds as though it was the people onboard that really got to you, not the Pearl/P&O themselves. As P&O can't really do anything about noisy people other then politely asking them if they can keep quiet.

Was just on Rhapsody in a mini-suite and experienced the exact same problem but whilst it was occasionally annoying we didn't let it bother us and in reality was our fault for accepting a room directly under the pool deck, mid-ship and smokers side.

As for the toilet, I know it sounds silly that they have to drill people "if you don't eat or drink it, don't flush it" but that's pretty standard practice on every cruise ship I've encountered and it is common for the loo system on all cruise ships to fail when foreign objects get flushed. You find that it's always an isolated problem e.g. the entire ship doesn't go down at the same time, but instead because someone put something they shouldn't have in there. It's just unfortunate that often the people who suffer the block aren't the culprits.

Food is always a very personal area, I have always been more fond of the food on P&O then other cruise companies, on the other hand most people rave about Rhapsody, whereas I really didn't enjoy it that much. Don't get me wrong I thought it was good, it just left a lot to be desired in comparison.

I really hope you overall you had a good time though, despite some of the unfortunate problems you came across. No cooking, cleaning and great entertainment in itself means I couldn't have a bad holiday.

Hi Dizziedi,

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your cruise. The problems you have described really aren't acceptable.

Even though I have cancelled my cruise on the Pearl, I do come back to this P&O Forum every few weeks hopeful to see that things are improving. While I'm not interested in cruising with P&O any time soon, I have not ruled it out completely for sometime in the future. After all, they are the most affordable company in the NZ/Australian market, so If anything I want to WANT to cruise with them (if that makes any sense?).

What I don't understand is the way people respond to complaints against this company. Admittedly the people on this site are much more sympathetic and understanding than those on the Facebook site, but there are still some who really don't like hearing the criticisms. Why not? It is primarily through complaints that companies discover the ways in which they need to improve. At these prices, there is no way these ships would last in the U.S or European market, so why do we as Kiwis/Aussies think we should have to put up with a sub-standard product. Surely, we have the self-esteem to know that we deserve comparable products to everyone else in the world.

Perhaps if we actually support people (like Dizziedi) with their genuine complaints, instead of scaring them away, we might finally start seeing all these issues being addressed and the quality of South Pacific cruising improving.

If I had a penny for every time I saw response like the following to people's complaints, I'm sure I'd be able to afford a whole cruise by now.

1. Blocked toilets are a common problem on lot's of ships

Really? What ships are these. I've been reading a lot of posts on the Disney, NCL and Royal Carribean forums lately and of the 100's I've read, I can honestly say I haven't seen one comment about blocked toilets. People pay good money for their holidays and IMO a working toilet should be the least of their expectations.

2. It is your fault for not researching your cabin location

I'm sorry, but booking a suite (or mini-suite as it turned out) is research in itself. By paying for the most expensive class of cabin on the ship, you automatically assume it is going to be the best. I for one, would never predict that it was going to be so noisy I wouldn't be able to get a good nights sleep. I have been reading a lot of info on the Norwegian Epic lately and from what I can tell, they changed the running of their POSH club after initial cruises showed that it caused too much noise for Suite passengers below. It was good to see they listened and responded to people's concerns.

3. It's all in your attitude. If you'd gone on your cruise with a positive frame of mind [like I do;)] then you would have had a great time

I'm sorry, but comments like this annoy me the most. They seem so self-indulgent. Unless you know the complainants personally, I believe it's really rude to imply that they approach life in a negative manner. I don't know anyone who goes on holiday determined to dislike everything about it. However, I do know some lovely, easy-going people, who have had parts of their holidays that they didn't enjoy. At the end of the day, most people work and save really hard for their holidays and it's reasonable for them to have a certain level of expectations.

Anyway, that's my rant, and I hope it hasn't offended anyone.

Totally agree with ozkarNZ thoughts on this thread. It is a forum for good and bad experiences to be discussed. Some of these posters do not give credit to our intelligence to sort out for ourselves what we are looking for in a cruise and what really matters. We all look for individual aspects to please us and no doubt on all cruises there are some aspects that displease or could have been done better. The original poster ended up having a good time but there were things onboard that could have been done better, simple as that. So why do some posters criticize for someone's honest opinion? I dislike the use of 'whinger, groaners' etc for someone that may present a different point of view whether it be legitimate or not, to that person it may be a problem and we all live by and have different standards in our lives.

It sounds as though it was the people onboard that really got to you, not the Pearl/P&O themselves. As P&O can't really do anything about noisy people other then politely asking them if they can keep quiet.

Was just on Rhapsody in a mini-suite and experienced the exact same problem but whilst it was occasionally annoying we didn't let it bother us and in reality was our fault for accepting a room directly under the pool deck, mid-ship and smokers side.

As for the toilet, I know it sounds silly that they have to drill people "if you don't eat or drink it, don't flush it" but that's pretty standard practice on every cruise ship I've encountered and it is common for the loo system on all cruise ships to fail when foreign objects get flushed. You find that it's always an isolated problem e.g. the entire ship doesn't go down at the same time, but instead because someone put something they shouldn't have in there. It's just unfortunate that often the people who suffer the block aren't the culprits.

Food is always a very personal area, I have always been more fond of the food on P&O then other cruise companies, on the other hand most people rave about Rhapsody, whereas I really didn't enjoy it that much. Don't get me wrong I thought it was good, it just left a lot to be desired in comparison.

I really hope you overall you had a good time though, despite some of the unfortunate problems you came across. No cooking, cleaning and great entertainment in itself means I couldn't have a bad holiday.

I have to agree with you about the food on Rhapsody after just coming off her myself recently. By the end of the cruise I was totally over it all. I was craving a good hamburger and chips and you cannot get a decent one on the Rhapsody. What they had on offer was just awful. The pizza left alot to be desired as well, although it would cater to some peoples tastes, (im a bit of a pizza snob). Im booked on the Pearl in Nov and are hoping that the food is better. Dont get me wrong I had some great meals on the Rhapsody, but I think it could have been better.

We have booked a cruise later this year in this room/deck. It is our first cruise and I was wondering if we are likely to get much in the way of noise from the restaurant above. Not that we can do much about it now but it would be good to know what to expect. PS Thanks to everyone on this thread for the information - it's a great resource for "first timers".

We have booked a cruise later this year in this room/deck. It is our first cruise and I was wondering if we are likely to get much in the way of noise from the restaurant above. Not that we can do much about it now but it would be good to know what to expect. PS Thanks to everyone on this thread for the information - it's a great resource for "first timers".

6225 is forward of the Waterfront and actually below a portion of the deck, line the staircases up on the plan and you will see what I mean. Should actually be not too bad as this is not a 'wrap around' promenade and thus there would not be any joggers. In any case I have been directly below the wrap-around promenade on both Sun Princess and Dawn Princess where you do get joggers and noise has not been a problem.

Hi OskarNZ, Your comment regarding you not seeing any complaints about sewage issues on other ships/lines confused me as I was sure I had seen many. So I did a quick search and came up with the following:

Ruby Princess - 2/1/11 - Blocked Toilet/offensive smells

Norwegian Spirit - 5/9/10 - Blocked Tolet/offensive smells/sewerage overflow

Norwegian Dawn - 25/2/11 - Blocked toilet/offensive smells

Noordam - 23/11/10 - Blocked toilet/offensive smells

Radiance of the Seas - 22/1/11 - Blocked Toilet/offensive smells/sewerage overflow

I thought that was enough so stopped looking.

Jenny

Archived