nice town near Fiumicino Airport (rome) worth staying for a night?

juanarcin

We are taking our first cruise on RC's Mariner of the Seas in October! It starts and finishes in Civitavecchia. We plan on taking 4 days in Rome before the Cruise to really experience it. Our original plans after the cruise was to just fly back home. However after looking at flights, most either leave really early or really late that day. So we have to choose between rushing off the boat to the airport or having a long sad wait at the airport (sad because the trip is over). So now we are considering just staying in some random town that night and then flying back home the next day. SO is there anywhere that anyone would recommended as a nice relaxing spot to rest before our long flight back home? Ideally it should be close to the airport.

You might try posting the port of call section below. There are a lot of nice people with tons of info.

As for us, we are going back to Rome for the one post cruise night since we only have one night precruise there anyway. We got a place near the Vatican and even with the transport back to the airport it was cheaper than staying by the airport. I figure we can all sleep on the plane!

My family did a very similar cruise a few years back. I agree with crenee44 that going back into Rome is the way to go. We did this too as the transportation was much cheaper. You can take a relaxing day trip that will drop you at the airport. Remember, you have long flight home and you will have lots of time to sleep. And trust me, when you spend a few days in Rome you will definitely find somewhere you want to visit again post cruise. We spent most of our day at the Coloseum as its one of our favorite stops. You can spend a day just walking through the Forum.

Have a great time!!

Smart-Travelers

http://www.*****

If you don't want to stay in Rome, look at staying in one is the small towns outside of Rome, in the country. Go to Tripadvisor.com and look at the B&Bs in Palestrina. It's a beautiful rural area, and you usually can arrange for pick up at the port and drop off at the airport.

Archived