Are guides available at the acropolis?

illiniwahoo

I'd like to avoid the ship's tours since they seem short in comparison to the number of hours in port. For the acropolis, however, I think it's important to have a tour guide so we can get a full appreciation of the history behind what we are seeing. Are there guided tour available that we could join when we get there? Or do I have to make plans in advance? Alternately, do the offer an audio tour?

On a somewhat unrelated note, we will be there on May 18, where entrance is free for the acropolis and the acropolis museum. Besides getting there early, does anyone have any tips to avoid long lines (for example, do organized ship's tours get to skip the line? That could sway my decision on what to do)

Thanks!

We were in Athens on 8th May last year and were at the Acropolis by about 9am.

There were no long queues to enter - maybe 50 people tops. Entry was not free, but I cannot remember exactly how much.

There were quite a number of tour guides touting for business just outside the entrance.

Again I don't know how much because we decided against the idea of using one. However, in retrospect, I think we would have learnt more about just what we were looking at if we had done so.

Someone else (with a better memory - better notes than I) will surely "chime in" with prices for both the entrance fees and tour guide fees.

Enjoy your trip.

Yes, there are tour guides at the Acropolis. They run around 100 euro for a group (whether 2 or 10). They will try to help get a group together.

I don't think there is an audio tour. However, Rick Steves' Athens guidebook offers a great self-guided tour.

Ships tours don't have to stand in the ticket line, but everyone has to take the same path to the top of the Acropolis and it can get crowded later in the morning, especially on a free day. You should definitely be able to beat the ship tours by getting there on your own. This is one case where getting a taxi is, IMO, worth it. You can take the metro back to Piraeus in the afternoon.

May 18 is a Wednesday and not a National Holiday so I doubt any site will be free.

Guides are usually available near the entrance to The Acropolis and Acropolis Museum expect to pay about 100 Euros for each tour.

Any organized excursion ship or private you should not have to stand in line for tickets especially if you have an Official Tour Guide they will get them for you.

from the Hellenic ministry of culture and tourism website:

Free admission days spacer.gifhor_inf_line516.gifspacer.gif

6 March (in memory of Melina Mercouri

5 June (International Enviroment Day) 18 April (International Monuments Day)

18 May (International Museums Day)

The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)

Sundays in the period between 1 November and 31 March National Holidays

The first Sunday of every month, except for July, August and September (when the first Sunday is holiday, then the second is the free admission day.)

27 September, International Tourism Day

The is a booth across from the ticket booth next to the refreshment stand (great fresh orange juice by the way) where you can book the licenced guides. There were a few waiting in or next to the booth when we were there. Better not go with anybody who is touting?

In June 2008 we were at the Acropolis - I can't remember the ticket cost but I do remember there were no lines. There were also guides around - all we saw wore a badge with their photo on it. Our group had just happened to travel together via the subway/metro/whatever from the ship and I think there were 8 of us.

We were approached by a guide - Maria - and agreed on a price - I can't remember how much but it was probably about 110Euros for the group. It was the best decision! Maria was absolutely fantastic and added SO much to the day. While she didn't overload us with facts, she told us about everything and easily asnswered our questions speaking very good English.

She also explained that the badges were official and meant that the guides were well prepared and knew about the history and art of the Arcopolis and area.

The Acropolis turned out to be the best part of the day!

Archived