Do cabins have alarm clocks......

Hootsie

I have never seen a clock in a ship's cabin other than the one on the phone, which can be re-set centrally, once for all cabins. With all the time changes a ship goes through, it would be an impossible task for the stewards to constantly change clocks in addition to their regular duties, particularly since the clocks should be changed when you go to bed. If they're done too early in the evening, like before dinner, people won't have the correct time for the evening.

Here is the clock I have. It's small, lightweight, visible, easy to set and adjust, can act as a quick nightlight when you push the back back even slightly, and includes a temperature reading. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/62137?from=SR&feat=sr

One reason you won't see an electric clock (so I've been told) is that there are enough fluctuations in the ship's current that the clock won't run accurately. We usually bring a travel alarm, but forgot it the last trip. We ended up using the wake-up service. It's easy to use, and we didn't have any problems.

I use my mobile phone. I just ensure it is on silent or has the phone/wireless caperbitity disabled so as not to be disturbed by unwanted calls in the middle of the night or to rack up any roaming fees. In fact the alarm on my phone even works if the phone is swithced off. One less thing to carry and remember.

We also use the alarm clocks friom LLBean that Pam mentioned. We keep one on either side of the bed with one set for early morning pills and the other for normal wakeup. To try to see the time on the phone is difficult without glasses or lights. Those clocks also work well for camping to see how cold it really is. (It's never as cold as we think it is.)

Cruisin Oldies :D

I use my mobile phone. I just ensure it is on silent or has the phone/wireless caperbitity disabled so as not to be disturbed by unwanted calls in the middle of the night or to rack up any roaming fees. In fact the alarm on my phone even works if the phone is swithced off. One less thing to carry and remember.
What about the times when the ship's time is different from the port time. The phones I've had have adjusted to the local time when turned on.

When I was in the Caribbean, the time on my cell phone was inaccurate when we were at sea. I used the wake-up call service, and at the first port (San Juan) I bought a cheap watch. Next time, I'll just bring a watch and a travel clock.

When I was in the Caribbean, the time on my cell phone was inaccurate when we were at sea. I used the wake-up call service, and at the first port (San Juan) I bought a cheap watch. Next time, I'll just bring a watch and a travel clock.
True. Your cell phone won't always be accurate.

Emmtee, what the heck did you do to your leg? My daughter did something similar a few years ago only she also broke everything in the ankle as well.

Don't you have a cell/mobile phone? I used my mobile phone as an alarm clock

I do but it's a Droid and there's no way to turn off roaming. I found out when I went to Canada and had a huge bill when I returned. I guess I could turn it to airplane mode but then I doubt it will update correctly. Forget that idea. I'll just get a cheapo travel alarm clock at Target. They are super small and battery operated.

Emmtee, what the heck did you do to your leg? My daughter did something similar a few years ago only she also broke everything in the ankle as well.

I know it's an odd picture to use as an avatar, but it happened on a shore excursion. It was September 2008 - my first cruise - on my birthday - in Estonia. I was on a tour at St. Brigit's Convent. I was trying to take a picture. It was drizzling, so I was holding an umbrella in one hand and my camera in the other. I stepped backward to try to get more in the shot, but bumped into a small step. My body fell back, but my foot stayed put. Fortunately, I didn't feel any pain - just a little "pop" (probably the bone breaking free of the ligaments.) I had a compound fracture with a 4" tear in the skin of my inner ankle. My fibula was broken and I had to stay behind and have surgery. I missed St. Petersburg, but I was able to re-board the ship in Helsinki. I'm okay now unless I stand for too long - then it gets swollen and achy. And I have some very unique souvenirs (1 plate, 7 screws, 2 scars) from my first cruise. :)

I know it's an odd picture to use as an avatar, but it happened on a shore excursion. It was September 2008 - my first cruise - on my birthday - in Estonia. I was on a tour at St. Brigit's Convent. I was trying to take a picture. It was drizzling, so I was holding an umbrella in one hand and my camera in the other. I stepped backward to try to get more in the shot, but bumped into a small step. My body fell back, but my foot stayed put. Fortunately, I didn't feel any pain - just a little "pop" (probably the bone breaking free of the ligaments.) I had a compound fracture with a 4" tear in the skin of my inner ankle. My fibula was broken and I had to stay behind and have surgery. I missed St. Petersburg, but I was able to re-board the ship in Helsinki. I'm okay now unless I stand for too long - then it gets swollen and achy. And I have some very unique souvenirs (1 plate, 7 screws, 2 scars) from my first cruise. :)
Oh, my. That sounds so familiar. My daughter was a teacher and she and her team had taken their students outdoors for class. She stepped wrong on the uneven ground and did something similar and while she broke the bone covering her ankle, she didn't break the skim. Two plates and 12 screws. :(:( She, too, has trouble standing very long or when the barometric pressure drops. You have my sympathy.

I do but it's a Droid and there's no way to turn off roaming. I found out when I went to Canada and had a huge bill when I returned. I guess I could turn it to airplane mode but then I doubt it will update correctly. Forget that idea. I'll just get a cheapo travel alarm clock at Target. They are super small and battery operated.

You'll like your cheapo from Target if it's like my cheapo ($12) from Target. I've had it for at least 6 years and only had to change the battery a few months ago. It also gives you the temperature in farenheit or celsius. I like that feature so I know whether to feel comfortable or not. :D

You'll like your cheapo from Target if it's like my cheapo ($12) from Target. I've had it for at least 6 years and only had to change the battery a few months ago. It also gives you the temperature in farenheit or celsius. I like that feature so I know whether to feel comfortable or not. :D

HAAHAA! Well, I'm in Montana right now sitting at about 0 degrees so I'm pretty sure I'll be comfy on the cruise no matter what. Nice feature tho!

Archived