Whale Watching In Juneau

Claybuster58

I just booked Orca.....reason being Harv amnd Marv...advertises if you have a problem walking 300 ft. or doing stairs don't book with us........... I will have my 82 year old Mom with me..She ususally doesn't have a problem but you never know....Orca said.....depending on the tide there might be a steep ramp on the dock. If Mom feels umcomfortable doing the walk we have a wheelchair in our van that we can use to get her down to the boat. Now wasn't that nice.

Both companies board from the same area, same ramp AFAIK, so if it will be a problem with one, it will probably be a problem with the other. Hopefully it won't be a problem.

Both companies board from the same area, same ramp AFAIK, so if it will be a problem with one, it will probably be a problem with the other. Hopefully it won't be a problem.

There are different docks on Auke Bay and all the whale watch tours do not leave from the same one.

As a suggestion- look at tide tables and pick the best times, avoiding the low tide.

As a suggestion- look at tide tables and pick the best times, avoiding the low tide.

never thought about that-good point BQ. I checked and high tide when we are in Juneau is 2:30 in the afternoon-with a full moon the night before. I guess an afternoon tour would be best? thanks

I checked the tide tables as suggested - and high tide when we are in Juneau is 2:30 in the afternoon-with a full moon the night before.

I guess an afternoon tour would be best for whale watching?

thanks

Hmm.. So is Dolphin the only one that is that range of passengers? I would love to be exclusive but my group members prefer a larger boat, so I would think 20 -40 person boat would do better.

Hmm.. So is Dolphin the only one that is that range of passengers? I would love to be exclusive but my group members prefer a larger boat, so I would think 20 -40 person boat would do better.

Orca's Odysea is in this passenger range.

I am also trying to plan our excursions for a first trip to Alaska. We leave September 3, 2011 and will be in Juneau/Stephens Passage for half day & evening. Forgive my ignorance, but are whales still out and about that late in the season? Would a whale watching tour be worthwhile? Thanks!!

I checked the tide tables as BQ suggested - and high tide when we are in Juneau is 2:30 in the afternoon-with a full moon the night before.

I guess an afternoon tour would be best for whale watching?

thanks

I am also trying to plan our excursions for a first trip to Alaska. We leave September 3, 2011 and will be in Juneau/Stephens Passage for half day & evening. Forgive my ignorance, but are whales still out and about that late in the season? Would a whale watching tour be worthwhile? Thanks!!

The humpback whales don't migrate until about November. They are seen the entire Alaska cruise season.

Archived