Check my thoughts on drink packages

fdpevey

On our 1st cruise (HAL many moons ago) we purchased a wine package, 4 bottles which could be shared. Did similar packages on Princess. X package pricing appears high. We drink wine with our dinner & a glass or two pre dinner. We are AQ so a bottle of champagne is included in our fare. We bring this bottle to Blu and ask that they hold it for us-no corkage we have on formal night. We will also bring the 2 bottles allowed @ boarding so that we can have a drink on our balcony. So...I still cannot get a complete answer from the infamous X customer svc reps on exactly how much a wine bottle package costs and if it can be shared (yes I have reviewed the sticky & it appears that it can be shared but I would like offical confirmation) I really like the idea of a package but the info is incomplete both on the website & via customer svc. So ig anyone is on/going on Solstice E or W Med in the next few weeks I would appreciate any info-wine brands/$ etc that you would/could post

Thanks

carole

Yes, the wine packages can be shared. You are paying for a limited amount of wine so you can do whatever you like with it. The unlimited beverage packages cannot be shared.

We were having the same debate for our upcoming Summit Cruise to Bermuda in July. I do like my double cappucino in the morning, can drink

2-3 Vitamin Waters a day and as many regular bottled waters. When I took a look at my bar bill from our last cruise, it came pretty close (although not quite as much) as the Premium Package.

My only concern is that I think I am likely to drink more (i.e. full bottle of wine with dinner instead of 1/2 bottle, 2 pre and 2 post dinner drinks instead of 1 each) since I know I don't have to keep tabs or worry about getting that dreaded surprise at the end.

Based on what the OP has described and the type of itinerary they are doing (our Bermuda cruise has 3 full sea days out of 7), it sounds like the beverage package may not be wortwhile.

Although while typing this reply, I have decided that I will likely take the premium package and just drink to my hearts content for my 40 something birthday cruise.

;)

My wife and I had the premium package on our only sailing. I can't really complain about the value. I actually bought the packages so I wouldn't drive myself crazy calculating an ever increasing bar bill. I can say that, by the end of the cruise, I was pretty knackered from drinking all sorts of (then essentially free) drinks.

Also, and this really disturbed me, I found that the sommeliers and roaming servers by the pool and other public areas pretty much ignored us. My guess is that we no longer represented any form of additional tip for them. Maybe I'm just personally revolting. I can say that next time I'll pay for my drinks individually, and as a result, tip individually. I'm pretty sure then the service will be fauning.

My wife and I had the premium package on our only sailing. I can't really complain about the value. I actually bought the packages so I wouldn't drive myself crazy calculating an ever increasing bar bill. I can say that, by the end of the cruise, I was pretty knackered from drinking all sorts of (then essentially free) drinks.

Also, and this really disturbed me, I found that the sommeliers and roaming servers by the pool and other public areas pretty much ignored us. My guess is that we no longer represented any form of additional tip for them. Maybe I'm just personally revolting. I can say that next time I'll pay for my drinks individually, and as a result, tip individually. I'm pretty sure then the service will be fauning.

I doubt you are personally revolting as I have seen some pretty scary people on my cruises!!!! :p

This is an intersting comment as the drink packages are subject to the same 15% gratuity that individual drinks are subject to and in reality, they are probaly getting more from the packages. I will have to pay attention when we sail on our next cruise in July to see if we experience the same thing. I can tell you though, that if I noticed that I was being treated any differently, I would definitely be addressing it with Crew management.

I think we all work too hard and when we spend our hard earned dollars on a cruise, we should be treated well regardless of how we arranged to pay for our drinks.

Ok - Toni and I will be on the Eclipse in two weeks and we can not wait. I bought the premium package for both of us. Last year I had the "frozen drink" package last year on the Equinox just for my wife. No worries this time mon!! I think you should NOT count number of drinks per day and just go with it. Of course this assumes you like to drink alcohol beverages etc. As far as not getting good service with the use of the card then do what I do. Tip more often!!! The service charge is 15% - good grief folks 20 percent is the norm. (yes!) Bring 50 bucks in singles and fives and do not be afraid. A five at the martini bar or lobby bar will quickly get you a honest pour and they will remember your name. At pool side, a couple bucks for each round will get you great service. Enjoy, your on vacation!

Rob

Lots of cruises, lots of places, lots of fun!

Regarding the tipping--I realize that now. I actually tip around 22-25% percent in the US (I figure it adds up to a few hundred to me for a year, but means an aweful lot to the recipient).

This was my first cruise. My last few vacations (Europe, Tauck) tip was included and nobody was adding anything extra. I guess I was sensitive to seeming like an uncouth American, throwing a few dollars around to have his rump kissed.

Don't get me wrong, overall I thought the service was excellent, and a fat envelope found its way onto my table the last day in Blu, but having to wave a couple dollars here and there just to get attention isn't really something I seek on vacation.

I have been looking at the water package. As I understood from RCCL on previous cruises, you get X bottles of water, so I thought that would be great for our upcoming cruise. However, when I read the Celebrity description of their waterpackage, it seems you can only order them in restaurants and lounges, so only to drink them there andn water bottles to take back ashore?

The service charge is 15% - good grief folks 20 percent is the norm. (yes!)

Hi,

As a Brit I cannot agree with your comment.

Unlike USA & Canada, we do not tip bar staff as a matter of course. So the norm is Zero!! This is one of the reasons why Eclipse sailings out of Southampton will not show 15% being added to each drink. No doubt that prices will be increased accordingly.

Jim

Archived