RX mask - buy or rent

rsham

We are leaving out of Ft Lauderdale in 2 weeks on the Ruby Princess. There are several in the group that are first time cruisers. We are wanting to book a snorkling trip and several in the group wear glasses but not contacts.

We wondered if the shore excursions booked from the ship might have RX mask?

Is it possible to purchase a generic RX mask in Ft. Lauderdale prior to sailing or to rent one for the week? I know they can be purchased online and be made from your prescription but they don't want to spend that much.

Are there generic ones that can be found in Ft Lauderdale or even St. Thomas?

Any help with this would be great!!

Some ops do, but most snorkel ops do not rent RX masks. Too much trouble, extra cost, and too many possible combinations of prescriptions to deal with.

Look up Divers Direct. They have big stores, one in FLL and one in Key Largo. They have a large selections of masks for people to try on. Also have those that take prescription lenses, that you can also try and see if it's good. At times they may have instore specials.

The water will provide a bit of magnification, so if your fellow snorkelers' eyes are not too bad, a non-prescription mask, usually included on a shore excursion should do fine. Otherwise, prescription masks can be purchased at most dive shops in Ft. Lauderdale or in your home town. A good dive shop will help you find a good fit and select the drop in lenses. Prescription masks are expensive, but a well-fitted mask with corrective lenses (if needed) can make all the difference in the snorkeling experience.

image.php?code=0XT132dbe8Xk1Xs23XCrown%20Princess

Why do they wear glasses?

DH has bad astigmatism and can use a cheap mask. I am near sighted (-2.5) and got a corrective mask at our local dive shop.

I would also recommend getting a snorkel. Fins can be rented.

When we were on Maui, snorkeling from the shore, my husband and I rented Rx masks at Snorkel Bob's. But we don't count on the excursion snorkel companies having them, so we bought our own. Also more sanitary. In addition, people who rent snorkel masks have all different sized/proportioned heads, so as a result, the mask you rent can get stretched out and get water in it. Whereas your own mask only goes on your head and won't get stretched out.

We are leaving out of Ft Lauderdale in 2 weeks on the Ruby Princess. There are several in the group that are first time cruisers. We are wanting to book a snorkling trip and several in the group wear glasses but not contacts.

We wondered if the shore excursions booked from the ship might have RX mask?

Is it possible to purchase a generic RX mask in Ft. Lauderdale prior to sailing or to rent one for the week? I know they can be purchased online and be made from your prescription but they don't want to spend that much.

Are there generic ones that can be found in Ft Lauderdale or even St. Thomas?

Any help with this would be great!!

If you Google "prescription dive masks" you will come up with several sources for $55 and up.

Archived