Lighter choices in the dining room?

bangzoom6877

My last cruise with NCL was in 2006. We're going on the Jewel this summer.

Does NCL still have "Cooking Light" options on their MDR menus? I remember a lot of these options being very tasty, especially the ones they had at breakfast. If they don't have "Cooking Light" options, do they offer any other type of lighter choices or "spa" items on the MDR menus?

My last cruise with NCL was in 2006. We're going on the Jewel this summer.

Does NCL still have "Cooking Light" options on their MDR menus? I remember a lot of these options being very tasty, especially the ones they had at breakfast. If they don't have "Cooking Light" options, do they offer any other type of lighter choices or "spa" items on the MDR menus?

No no cooking light anymore, No spa choices either(like Celebrity). They do have lighter choices but you have to know that yourself and they don't list calorie and other info like they used to for cooking light(hint the risotto is not a light choice)....

We are off the Jewel on Sunday and we commented to ourselves that is a unwelcomed change.

No no cooking light anymore, No spa choices either(like Celebrity). They do have lighter choices but you have to know that yourself and they don't list calorie and other info like they used to for cooking light(hint the risotto is not a light choice)....

We are off the Jewel on Sunday and we commented to ourselves that is a unwelcomed change.

Oh wow, I am surprised they don't indicate which item is healthier on the menu. I have to tell my mom about this. She usually orders the lighter options on the menu. But, she also uses common sense to watch what she eats. She usually ended up with the lighter option because she prefers fish at dinner, and many times this was the lighter option.

They still have sugar-free desserts, right?

Oh wow, I am surprised they don't indicate which item is healthier on the menu. I have to tell my mom about this. She usually orders the lighter options on the menu. But, she also uses common sense to watch what she eats. She usually ended up with the lighter option because she prefers fish at dinner, and many times this was the lighter option.

They still have sugar-free desserts, right?

yes and they have fish at dinner...

Prior to our just completed Jewel cruise this weekend, I too remembered the Lighter Choice/healthy cooking option on the menu from the POA sailing in 2009 - as it's sometimes difficult for the average cruisers to decipher the menu on its calories & nutritional components (or lack thereof)

Anyone else remember from the early days of the Dawn where they would highlight the menu selections chosen/prepared by an ex-White House chef ? :confused:

Prior to our just completed Jewel cruise this weekend, I too remembered the Lighter Choice/healthy cooking option on the menu from the POA sailing in 2009 - as it's sometimes difficult for the average cruisers to decipher the menu on its calories & nutritional components (or lack thereof)

Anyone else remember from the early days of the Dawn where they would highlight the menu selections chosen/prepared by an ex-White House chef ? :confused:

I remember on the Norwegian Sea in 2002, and again on the Dawn in 2004, each night dinner had a different theme. One that stands out in my mind was the "President's Dinner". This had menu items which were prepared in the White House. Each item stated which president was served the specific dish. We were not impressed with the President's Dinner. Another night, there was an Italian dinner and I remember thinking that the food in the MDR at Italian night was much better than the Italian specialty restaurant (on the Dawn that is; on the Sea, the Italian restaurant was pretty good). I forget the other themes. We loved the food on the Norwegian Sea in 2002, but were not crazy about the food on the Dawn in 2004. Then, when we went on the Spirit in 2006, we all found that the food had improved greatly since we had been on the Dawn. My parents were on the Dawn in 2008 and they loved the food. We're all looking forward to the Jewel this summer!

From what I have read recently, the menus are totally different than they used to be years ago. To me, they look even better than when we went on the Spirit!

Archived